Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Hey

Hey Subaru

gently caress you, Subaru

E; yes, I know the belt is still on the alternator, I wasn't actually trying to remove it for the picture

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Yeah it's just incredibly obnoxious, all they would have had to do to avoid the problem entirely is move that bracket a half inch in either direction, but no, you gotta pull the fans if you want to remove the alternator.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

JBark posted:

Related, maybe I'm just dense, but I was trying to remove just the fans on my SG forester this weekend for easier access to the idler pulley, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to actually fit the fan unit between the upper rad hose on the left and the a/c line on the right. I'd gotten all three of the hose clips undone on the bottom, so it wasn't that. Just no amount of wiggling would actually let me pull it up and out.

Luckily I the fans moved around enough that I could line up the space between the fans with the pulley, so I could get a socket on the bolt.

Did you try pulling it out the bottom? probably have to raise the front end up for enough clearance but that might work, and is totally in-line with engineers' design rationale (or lack of).

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Throttle stuck open on the 240 right as I pulled out of my road on to the main one, that was an exciting couple of seconds. Now I'm stuck sitting in a gravel lot 2 miles from home in 20f weather. Goddammit.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Yeah I thought about it more on the way to work (hooray for backup cars), I think it was the idle air control finally making GBS threads itself. It's been having trouble "catching" the engine when I shift into neutral or push the clutch, it would oscillate between 400-600rpm for a few seconds before smoothing out at 750.

After I got it off the road and restarted it it immediately shot to 2000rpm before slowly dropping to 1200, but as soon as I tapped the throttle and let off it just started climbing straight to redline.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

The IAC will cause the stumbling and idle oscillation, you got that for sure. The IAC shouldn't allow that much air through to the point of the engine surging higher than 2000 RPMs

But high idle means your flow meter may be catching or sticking, but also check the butterfly valves on the throttle body.

What about the injector temp sensor?

Flow meter sticking? This car uses a MAF (which I replaced three months ago) so that shouldn't be it. I'm fairly certain I replaced the injector temp sensor this past summer but will have to double check, I may be confusing that job with my other 240.

When I got back to the house this morning I also noted a fairly large puddle of oil on the ground, so one way or another it's getting parked 'til I can figure this out.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

You told me it had CIS :argh:

:ohdear: I'm sorry! My early morning googling turned up the K-Jet thing and something else to do with idle control and assumed you were talking about the latter (and never bothered reading the link), which is why I jumped into talking about the IAC :doh:. Yeah it's an LH 2.2 system.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
All right, I'm officially sick of this cold weather. On Friday the IAC on the 244 failed wide open, probably hurried along by it being 15f that morning, and just now the drivers door latch on the Corolla broke when I opened it to get in because it's 0f outside. Felt a *pop* when I pulled the handle and when I tried to close the door it just bounced right back at me. :sigh:

Good news is that yesterday the school was closed due to weather (meaning I got paid double-time for being there) so missing today won't hurt.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Devyl posted:

Yadda yadda yadda BROKEN STUFF:

:drat:

I'm sure that was a pants-making GBS threads couple of seconds.

Subaru? What's left of the bell-housing looks vaguely familiar...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I need to get video of my friend's '71 Dodge D300 dually with the most low-effort redneck stacks I've ever seen. The two pipes are maybe 1 3/4" in diameter and the engine still doesn't produce enough backpressure to keep the flappers open, so it sounds like skeletons loving in a pile of rusty spoons while it idles. Funniest poo poo ever, I think I pissed off the PO when we bought it by laughing so much.

Once it's running again the first thing I'm doing is taking a hacksaw to those stacks.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 23, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The back lot of the Rover/Jag shop I worked at was packed full of Disco IIs and P38s that were abandoned at the shop by their owners when they found out a head gasket job cost $2,500. Some of them did it after they said yes to the work and then tried to weasel their way out of paying.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
While I can't speak for the new electric power-steering systems, an old school hydraulic one will straight up break your arms if it does that and you happen to have your arm through the wheel, loving with the gauge cluster or whatever. Always make sure you have the power-steering set up properly before trying to zero-out the trip odometer, kids. :stare:

Source: my awesome as gently caress high-school automotive teacher, who saw this happen to an old co-worker.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
CGI? Weaksauce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPeukbfVOG0

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Somebody left a window open in the 4th floor laundry room of one of the dorms on campus. The steam-fed radiators that heat the building are all located directly under the windows, and temps dropped into the single digits, causing this:

Which flooded that room, the hallway, a students room, and leaked down to third (almost taking out the routers and switches for that building), did about the same amount of flooding there, and leaked down to second where it was mercifully just some puddles and ruined ceiling tiles.

That gash is about 3/4" long and maybe 1/8" wide an did all that loving damage in maybe 10 minutes time.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 9, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
:stonk:

You can't post all of that and not name the supplier, what the hell.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Kotaru posted:

Apparently someone on Reddit took pictures of something Sock touched; http://imgur.com/a/sPeQJ

Sometimes I start thinking that I want to live farther north, to escape the heat and general bigotry of the south. Then I see stuff like that and decide that I can deal with regressive assholes for a few more years.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Any good wheel-repair shop should be able to salvage that RPF1 without trouble, at least. Tire is a total loss obviously.

I need to post pictures of what my friend managed to do to my stock 850 wheels. Dented them so hard the barrel cracked :stonklol: yet somehow the tires survived.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Every Craftsman ratchet I've ever had has stripped itself out within a handful of moderate uses, not even abusing them. I've had lovely luck with most of their other tools as well, now I buy mostly Stanley. Never had a problem with any of my Stanley poo poo. Their 3/8" ratchet is nearly indestructible; I've used mine as a hammer, stuck a 3 foot cheater bar on it, left it outside in the mud for a couple weeks, still works great. My torque wrench/specialty stuff is all Snap-On, because I got a 50% discount while I was a student at NTI. Too bad I was broke as gently caress during that time, and couldn't get more.

I wish there was a Harbor Freight or something near me. There's a Northern Tool about an hour away but I've only ever bought a hoist from them. Works good.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 28, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Those look just like the rear pads I pulled off the Forester last weekend. I couldn't believe they were already down to the metal, as I had replaced them only a year ago and it's had maybe 20k miles put on it since then. I blame lovely Autozone pads and partially frozen calipers. Replaced everything with Stoptech and Centric stuff, shouldn't happen again anytime soon.

edit: yeah, a brake job while wearing tan khakis. Call the cops, I don't give a gently caress.

edit 2: Found another picture while looking for those. This is more of a mechanical success, but it could have royally hosed me if things had gone differently. I was driving down a country road at midnight a few weeks back, came around a blind curve and there was a gently caress-off big rock smack in front of me, no time to evade, barely enough time to think "gently caress!". Immediately after the impact, I killed the engine and pulled over, fearing I would find a waterfall of oil or worse.

That dent is a good 3/4" of an inch deep. :stare: Toyota makes a hell of an oil pan. And engine mounts.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 2, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man, make sure that poo poo didn't break the oil pickup.

gently caress, why the hell didn't I think to do that while changing the oil the other day, when that picture was taken. :doh:

It's been over a month since that happened, and I drive it 70 miles a day on average. I haven't noticed any problems yet or ominous noises, but it's only got a dummy light so who the gently caress knows what the actual pressure is.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

As someone who spends a lot of time crawling around in questionably maintained mechanical rooms on campus, all of which have equally questionably maintained compressors, this poo poo is my nightmare.

Most (but not all) of them have air-driers hooked up and automatic bleed-valves but, yeeeaaahhh. I have a folder of pictures of hosed up stuff in case they ever seriously piss me off...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Slavvy posted:

:stare:

What type of vehicle is that? I don't recognise the manifold configuration.

Dodge Avenger would be my guess.

~and nothing of value was lost~

Edit: double gently caress

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Slavvy posted:

Wiring loom coming out with the engine, that's a first. You're lucky you don't have to crawl all over the engine bay disconnecting plugs behind the manifold and poo poo.

Every engine I've ever pulled the harness disconnects from the main body harness with a few big plugs and comes with the engine. Even my 1986 Celica is designed this way, although it's considerably harder to reach the big plug (behind the blower for the HVAC :argh:).

Also, what InitialDave said.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Bicycles? Horses? Not dying horribly? Sounds really boring. Auto-Polo should make a come-back.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

An Angry Bug posted:

Well, at least it happens fast enough that you don't feel anything.
Please tell me it happens fast enough.

Nope, you get to spend whatever time you have left (seconds or days depending on how unlucky you are) in intense agony.
I remember reading a story about a poor guy that got arc flashed and lived long enough to drag himself over to some coworkers in another room and tell them that he had "screwed up real bad" before dying.

Arc flash is the main reason I don't gently caress with electricity more powerful than a vehicles 12v system.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
IIRC the guy was trying to rack a large breaker and there was an obstruction preventing it from mounting smoothly. Instead of pulling the breaker out to check what was up he just kept shoving it in until...boom.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Das Volk posted:

That poo poo cray.

A good post

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

:vince:

This is seriously not getting enough love.

:respek:

There would be a picture and words here but the Imgur app is being a gigantic pile of poo poo right now.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

I think I may have found why my 245 won't start. Also, gently caress POs forever.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CharlesM posted:

The wiring on these cars just fall apart on their own, until the '88 or '89 model year I think.

It's an '89 so avoids the biodegradable harness. I thought it was just home-stereo wire but it could be factory. gently caress the PO of this car anyway; so many low-speed impacts to the front that it literally just fell apart when I looked at it funny one day, interior is filled with cat hair and dander from a stray they fed and took to the vet occasionally, decades of deferred maintenance on every suspension component.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 17, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Holy

loving

poo poo

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Did they not strap the front down at all? Jesus.

I've stood right next to a full spec Sprint cup car on a chassis dyno while it made pulls, they're pretty drat safe (barring sudden catastrophic dyno-roller failure :stonk:) as long as you tie the loving car down properly, which definitely involves more than 2 piddly-rear end straps at just the rear.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I just can't stop laughing at the helicopter having a :stonk: face the whole time it's happening.

Engine intakes and artifacted blur in front of the windscreen, for those trying to see it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Munin posted:

What is Lithobraking?

Using the crust of whatever planet you're aiming at to stop the vehicle. i.e. smashing it into the ground at Mach 10. This can either be planned (such as that decommissioned satellite they slammed into the moon to get seismic readings) or very much unplanned (joint UK/US mission to Mars).

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 3, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Splizwarf posted:

After everyone stood around going :aaaaa: for a bit, what was the fallout?

Toyota was banned from competing for the rest of the season/had to give up their points and was fined a fair chunk of change.

e; beaten, what I get for leaving this tab open for so long.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'm still confused about how this is in any way easier than just pulling the drain plug and letting gravity do the work, but I suppose it's a fun project to dick around with.

That truck sized con rod bent into a U is insane.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Best part is the Harrier is designed to be put down on its belly with minimal damage in the event of landing gear failure. Would have been cheaper to not use anything at all.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Horse Divorce posted:

I just finished an oil change on my 92 4.0 XJ (special thanks to the local lube for using an elephant to torque my filter). It was supposed to have 6 quarts in there, but I think I only drained about 3. It's pushing 230k, I think I should start babying this old girl. This engine is a mechanical victory. Murphy ain't got poo poo on a 4.0.

No oil, no coolant, upside-down, full of sand/water, pick any two, and the 4.0 will probably still get you home later.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

I'll nominate the old Chevy 250 six, too. I had a 77 nova with a dime sized hole in the radiator and my trips were scheduled by hops between gas stations with free water, dictated by the temp idiot light. Beat the gently caress out of that thing and it just kept working.

My best friend drove a '68 C10 with the 250 I6 in high school without a tach. After it cracked the head (hauling rear end on the way to take the SAT), we figured out that he'd been basically running the poor thing at or above redline every day for several years before it gave out. Usually low on coolant or oil as well, or both, because it leaked both constantly.

The only issue it ever had before it died entirely was the junkyard HEI distributor killing itself with its own ball-bearings (put one right through the middle of the HEI controller, wish I'd gotten pictures of that).

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 3, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Jeherrin posted:

Who designed that thing?!

Germans.

It's always usually the Germans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
There's a pump in one of the mechanical spaces on campus that has been leaking and getting worse for over a year. I let them know about it months ago, but nothing was done. Decided to check on it yesterday and welp

It's dead, Jim. That's a hot water supply line for the dorm, so showers should be tons of fun in that building for a while.