Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Godholio posted:

Are you serious? This poo poo's already happening. How many people do you see actually look over their shoulder before a lane change? Who the hell uses the parking brake anymore, or checks their tire pressure or even their oil? The car will tell them when these things need to be done.

It's hardly worth trying to look over your shoulder any more thanks to the massive loving B-pillars you get in a modern car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kastein posted:

Last thing - handsfree phone operation has very little impact on distracted driving from talking on the phone. Our brains just work that way, the section of grey matter responsible for noticing stuff on the road and not hitting it is the same as the section that handles visualizing the person you are talking to. Don't talk on the drat phone while driving, problem solved. (If only people would actually follow that advise...)

No, it's totally different if you put the phone on speaker and hold it 3 inches in front of your face like you're Captain loving Kirk dictating his log.

It is kind of spooky how much attention it takes away... I used a bluetooth headset a few times through traffic and realized after the call that yes, I had been driving, but I couldn't really remember anything that happened while I was driving, and I had basically just been following the guy in front of me. Then I realized that this is how most people drive all the time. I've used my wife's car's built-in bluetooth calling and that's significantly better for my attention, not sure how but it's a bit more like I'm just talking to a passenger. Still not a big fan of talking on the phone while driving.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kastein posted:

Backstory: Friend of mine bought this choice automobile as a parts donor with a known knocking engine. Turns out the piston skirt was pretty badly broken, block was already unsalvageable, so he had his son floor it till it scattered parts everywhere to get a video for the internet.

My little Cherokee,
you shouldn't mess with me,
I'll ruin everything you are

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My motorcycle's mirror appears to be leaking oil:

It's a Triumph, though, so I guess this shouldn't be unexpected--only the British could make a mirror drip oil.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

STR posted:

I'm pretty sure the only people who replace rear end lube (lol) probably make up less than 2-3% of RWD vehicle owners. It's something nobody ever does, until it goes kablooey. The exceptions being true car nerds, and the occasional Corvette/Camaro/Viper/etc owner who thinks switching to Royal Purple will free up 50 hp.

I'm the guy that's never changed the gearbox oil on his current car, despite 2nd gear protesting quite violently every time I try to downshift (and on a lot of upshifts) for a couple of months now. My only excuse is you have to cut down an allen key to get the drain plug out.....

Changing the gearbox oil on the CJ-7 taught me that there was a period where manufacturers recommended ATF in manual transmissions.

Shifts a lot nicer with real gear oil in it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

All the same we take our chances
Changing our tires
Tricked by circumstances!
Jack the car
Do not go under
The more that things change
The more they stay the same

plus tire change
plus c'est la même chose

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I don't know what this newfangled poo poo is, 10W30 was good enough for my father and it's good enough for me.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Slack3r posted:

"POP!" Goes the diesel!

always makes me think of this gif:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Crunchy Black posted:

I have a buddy who runs non-emerg transport and its my understanding that they are hyper-post-peak-capitalism vehicles (no pun intended) to just fleece medicare and keep olds that no one cares about alive.

I'm on the app so this is just a guess, but I think it's time for you to get out of cspam.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

taqueso posted:

this isn't cspam, but the point is still valid

right I meant that posting in cspam too much was giving him the wrong kind of insanity instead of the right kind (automotive).

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

STR posted:

Some manuals will do the same thing.

My motorcycle does it in neutral on the center stand.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Adding this to "tiny lawn" and "gently caress winterizing" to my list of reasons for using a manual mower instead of a gas one.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I graduated in 2005 and took cooking, drafting 1 and 2 (both on paper, designed a house in drafting 2), and "home maintenance" which taught us how to pour concrete and involved building a scale model cutaway of a house, from concrete foundation up to asphalt shingles. Now I'm a computer toucher so I guess I shoulda taken more shop classes ...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

nadmonk posted:

I think even those basic steel wheels look better than any of those plastic covers.
That's the look I rock on the Saab in the winter with snow tires.

My 86 Crown Vic definitely looked better with the covers (featuring fake wire spokes) off. The Volvo 164 looked great with hubcaps on or off, but I kept them off because I didn't want to lose one on the road.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The old Lancia I had yeeeeeeeeeeeeears ago really drilled into me how to change gears with shocking synchos and without a clutch. It got to the point the only time I used the clutch was when the car was at rest. Just all about timing so you could do it fast and smoothly.

I'd kinda dispute the old rules apply to a truly modern double row synchro box tho. Older boxes esp with some wear, absolutly I agree, treat it like a crash box. Newer ones, it becomes counter productive and the old fashioned double declutch on the downshift is detrimental to the syncho action.

On my 85 jeep I always double-clutch into second but don't really bother with the other gears. On second, if I don't double-clutch it'll occasionally make a THWOCK sound as I shift; replacing the nasty old ATF that was in the (manual) transmission with proper gear oil has helped, but it still happens occasionally.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Computer viking posted:

Last time I helped arrange a conference, the other group at the hotel was some US/Norwegian organisation that had arranged a trip to the old country - I believe they where from north Dakota or thereabouts, but I was too busy to really talk to them. They seemed friendly enough, but I just kind of wonder what they do outside the 17th of May and the (presumably very sporadic) trips. Waffles and brown cheese sales? Sponsoring students in both directions? Excuse to drink akevitt around Christmas?

My mother stays in contact with one such group mainly to learn where to buy lutefisk each Christmas. Twenty years ago you could get it at the Safeway but it's getting harder to find.

I'm the only one in the family that likes akvavit... you'd think compared to lutefisk it'd be an easy sell.

By the way, it is possible to grill lutefisk, but very challenging. We stick to baking.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

I used to work in a parking garage. People had the hardest time trying to drive normal sized cars and compacts up to the booth to pay, and meanwhile one of the older ladies who lived there had this giant 60s Cadillac that she could maneuver around all day with no problems.

I find old cars much easier to drive than modern cars because of the boxy structure and nice big windows. On say an 80s Crown Vic, you can see four distinct corners on the hood and the trunk, and you know that the bumpers extend just a couple inches out from that point. And, despite being a "boat", it was narrower than pretty much any non-compact car from the last decade or so. If they weren't such loving gas hogs I'd buy another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

You ever heard of HAARP? Lol. :tinfoil:

When I was a kid the public library had a HAARP conspiracy book mixed in with the physics books. Confused the hell out of me when I checked it out once, like man I don't think radio waves do any of these things guys.