Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

`Nemesis posted:

Despite the appearance, that is a rural road. My understanding is that it developed a ridge which led to Wisc DOT putting out those ridge signs. Later on as it got hotter the road actually buckled causing that accident. We're not used to heat like this in Wisconsin....

HWY 29 is not a rural road. It's the only four lane road that connects eastern to western wisconsin besides I94.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Godholio posted:

At first glance I thought it was an interior door panel. :stare:

Me too. I can smell the cancer though the monitor.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
This happened to my friend this spring.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Lowclock posted:

Is... is that why the sti badge is pink?

It's not "pink" it's Cherry Blossom Red. :colbert:

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I have a friend who went to Road America this weekend for a lapping day.

This happened to his RX-7.

"Blame Canada corner."

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Luckily for my friend he was only going 45-50mph into Canada corner at the time of the failure and wound up in the gravel. In some other spots around Road America it might have gotten ugly.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I just finished reading the $250k GT-R and holy poo poo that's bad.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

$250k you could easily contract the work out to someone else and still make a profit.

They charged the dude $5,000 just for a mid-pipe not including labor.

:frogsiren:

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I think we have all learned that Ulimateforce needs to get in the R35 GTR business.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Looks like the shop owner posted and gave the typical excuse of "Someone else did it and they aren't with the company any more." Apparently this is the second time he has used that exact excuse. You see that excuse all the time in stories like this.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I don't think this should have happened.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

jamal posted:

If the conical washer gets left out, it's actually pretty likely.

Well, I'm going to need new stuff for my STi.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

jamal posted:

I can help with that. Send me a PM or email (peter at functionauto)

I sent you a PM.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Conical washers? You don't need those! Oh, the steering feels weird? Don't worry about it!

:negative:

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
That looks like that would be a pretty lovely day at work.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I had a rear axle nut decide to want to be free when I was driving home sunday night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Imt8PyBss

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Motronic posted:

That video actually made me say "OOOOhh....poo poo" out loud.
Apparently you can launch the sti to much and make your axle nuts fly off.
I took off the rim and saw this.

:frogsiren:

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Apparently according to the stream I was listening to that it's pretty common for racecars to attach their alternators to the transmission and differential.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Looks like the RS200 just crashed as well.

http://jalopnik.com/pat-doran-father-of-liam-doran-went-off-at-pikes-peak-575232114

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Adiabatic posted:

Saw this being built over Facebook. That "before" picture was literally the day before the race he had to be at Pike's Peak and the carbon fiber was not fully cured yet. Also he's in West Michigan.

Down. To. The. Wire. Testing is important.

If I had a dollar for every time I see someone bring out a race car untested to a (timed) track day.

I'd have my own untested race car.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Fucknag posted:

Almost looks like the fiber mats were stretched over a wireframe as opposed to being laid in a mold, might have something to do with it. Those front fenders look wrinkly as gently caress.

It does look really bad.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

"It'll never happen to me"

"I'm going to bring a untested race car that I just finished a day before I have to go to loving Pikes Peak. What could possibly go wrong?"

You would think after last year people would think twice about this stuff.

G-Mach fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 26, 2013

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
HOLY poo poo! :psyboom:

How old is the car?

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

CarForumPoster posted:

The blowing plugs thing seems like one of those massively overstated internet jokes to me. Look at the number of 500+HP stock headed 4.6 DOHCs running around.

My stock 320HP Cobra decided to randomly poo poo out a plug one day. It was six months after I bought the car.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I'm convinced there is nothing as bad as a second hand DSM.

Edit: Holy poo poo my tables.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Holy gently caress. How long was the last time the oil got changed in that? To kill a cummings like that is impressive.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

Its just common for this industry to design for the absolute worst case scenario.

Love this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai2HmvAXcU0

Is that a rubber ducky on the wing?

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Fucknag posted:

I'm trying to parse how that accident happened. Was the Vette going through the intersection and got hit by the... Towncar? so hard it got shoved past the crosswalk?

It's pretty possible. Depending upon the Towncar's speed and considering it's raining pretty well that sounds like the likely scenario.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I'm not supposed to be pouring gallons of toluene into my car's gas tank as octane booster? Way to take all of the fun out of it guys.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
You can always make your own studded tires.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's basically what you do for tubed tires, why should tubeless be any different? :v:

Those tires only lose around 1 psi after a whole day out on the ice. :c00lbert:

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
They are in pretty high spirits considering the probable cost of that engine.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
This is more of a horrible electrical failure than mechanical. I just love mopar products.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZAJfgqTtWM

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's one way to raise your compression, I guess.

Yeah, the only reason galvanizing on the Audi 5000 worked out so well is that Audi used thicker steel than Porsche, dipped them for an obsessive length of time, and waxoyl'd every single thing they could find. It probably added a few hundred pounds to the car. Modern Subarus are plenty galvanized but the fuckrods who weld them together leave the spot welds exposed to road salt and spray, and are (depending on the car) over an inch away from the seams when they apply seam sealer in the middle of the floorboard.

My 94 Audi 100 has been in the upper midwest it's entire life and I've never seen a car with it's age and mileage be so rust free underneath. It feels like I'm driving a Panzer the steel is so drat thick.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Looks like someone forgot to install conical washers.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

What about Nissan, or Subaru? :v:

Can't forget BMW.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Exit Strategy posted:

I had a top-spec '98 Park Avenue with the supercharged 3800-II. It was pretty much my favorite car, and I drove that thing until the engine violently disconnected itself from its mounts and ground against highway surface for half a mile before I was able to safely pull over. The block was too badly damaged to recover. Car was at 213,000 miles.

I had a friend whose daughter had this happen to her. It was only a couple blocks from their house so she just drove it home.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

nmfree posted:

Fixed that for Wisconsin.

True story. As long as you have winter tires you should be ok and if you have a lake nearby you can have fun ice racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI-t1nb7Zeo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxGx2gB6Go0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kptTagl39C0

Sometimes it goes a bit wrong however. (You don't want to hit snowbanks.)

:nws: for language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFc1P4k_Pks

I've found that screwing around on frozen lakes has made me a much better driver.

G-Mach fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 3, 2015

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Well my 05 Sti's transmission decided to explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I had to helicoil my 99 Cobra when it blew a spark plug like that. I still have the kit.