Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Random things around a friends shop...

13B-REW E-shaft with only 10k on it. Guess what did it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Not so much a failure, but this was a royal PITA. Bought a 64k 1986 RX7 and had to do rotors. It had the factory originals still on it 26+ years later. They had welded themselves to the aluminum hubs. I broke the outside ring on the first one with a 5 pound sledge. The second I just cut in half and beat it off with a hammer.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

drukqs posted:

Are you guys anti-cleanser? I used some pour-in buildup remover/cleaner of some sort before I did my first oil change on my CRV. Had ~120k on the odometer, nothing bad happened really.

It's not what happens right after you run it, it's what could happen in the next 1-10k. This all depends on how the car was taken care of, but if you run seafoam/mmo/ect through a block that you don't know the history on and missed a oil change or three, it will break free large contaminants, clog, and possibly cause serious damage.

On the flip side, tossing a bottle of Chevron Techron cleaning in your gas ever 15-30k is not a bad idea. I've done it regularly to all our vehicles and it's kept the injectors in great shape.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Has this been posted yet?
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242662

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Preoptopus posted:

This. You never see any retired painters.

Sadly my uncle is one of these fellows and I can only assume the years of drug abuse throughout his teens/early 30's will further shorten his life expectancy. I know several other painters and they are all as described. Never quite right in the head after all the years of exposure. It's a shame. When I paint my FD, I'm buying a supplied air respirator/hood and installing a fume vent above my paint mixing area.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 10, 2014

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
2" PVC is a failure waiting to happen...

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
:stonk:

That's a VTL correct?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I had one of those "I should have stopped for a picture, but did not want to look like a gawker" moments on Saturday. I was driving up a local highway and the truck in front of me swerved to avoid road debris. I dogged what appeared to be a corner marker light, various headlight pieces, and a fender liner. ~100ft ahead sat a Silver 2004'ish Mustang, hazards on, with the drivers side wheel shoved into the fender/door and halfway under the car. I can only imaging that a control arm snapped, wheel broke, tire blew, or some other terrible failure caused this. It destroyed everything within a 20" radius (bumper, fender, head light, hood buckled). The best part was the three guys standing in front of the car, just staring at the damage. I'm guessing the failure had something to do with the hellaflush suspension on the rest of the car...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the spyder fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 30, 2014

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Either let insurance keep it, or part it out. Good side of a part out: People need parts; running engines/trans/diff/brakes/electronics. There's at least $1k in profit from a part out. Bad side: gently caress cheap as FC owners who want to trade you their girlfriends dog for parts.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
What's your MPG on the AWD Ecoboost excape? I'm looking at one this weekend, seeing as I need a 4 door car now.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Actually those photos were taken from the parking lot because he refused an inspection and just wanted us to bleed it, the hood got popped after we noticed the fluid on the front and it snowballed from there.

:stare: The whole thing is just so what the gently caress. I mean, common, really? :psyduck:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Memento posted:

I remember many many years ago when I worked for Mazda we had an FD RX-7 come in after it had a new turbo fitted at one of the dealerships. Actually not that difficult a job, no idea why it went so wrong, initially, but after fitting the turbo and the tech test driving it the car died and wouldn't start or turn over. Turns out he had left a 10mm nut inside the turbo manifold that had fallen into the combustion chamber when he took off facing down hill. It left a whole bunch of little hexagonal indents on the rotor face. We ended up doing a full engine, and the good parts ended up finding their way into my boss' race car. We kept the hosed rotor on the wall of shame. That was the only example I can remember now, but we had some egregious fuckups on that wall.

:psyduck:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Bibendum posted:

I thought the whole reason for buying Snap-On was the warranty. He should just throw it back at them. Or is that just for professional customers?
After seeing Jafromobile talking his up I wanted one but definitely can't justify the cost.

Check out CPI if you ever need a mechanical torque wrench. They are SO's OEM. Amazon has a ton of them and all our 1/4 + 3/8 are CPI.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Terminus Est posted:

Wind speeds over 25m/s. Dude who died pitched all three blades to full run position then either the brake failed or was released. With no load on the generator the turbine turned into a helicopter for a split second as the rotor over sped. There was a brief hop as the nacelle tried to lift then the tower buckled.

The injured party was near the top on the ladder. Rode it down to the ground. There's a memorial where W1 was. Depressing spot.

Was pitching the blades to full run part of the inspection? Are there control systems that prevent this now? Or is it purely a over ride situation?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

rainwulf posted:

According to reddit, the guy lost a spanner, couldn't find it. Shrugged, and started the car.

Found the spanner.

That's not a car...
Definitely a heavy piece of equipment, in Caterpillar yellow or similar.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Slavvy posted:

You're in for a fun time. The control arm bolt you can see isn't the only one. There is another one which bolts into the subframe through the sway bar mount, you can see them on the right in the second picture. If the whole cast assembly that holds the bush has moved, the subframe is bent.

My wife's Mini has never been the same after a similar hit. We replaced everything except the subframe and just deal with the camber wear. Ugh.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

Always make sure the objects have tapered bases or you gotta knock holes into them to thread a hook through for extraction :(

:catstare:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Cakefool posted:

Even if they were cars you could buy for 20k they sound like the sort of car that needs 20k in missed maintenance, then 20k in NLA parts.

This. This right here is the future of the 93-95 Mazda RX-7.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Enourmo posted:

Land Rover, not Volkswagen

I would trust him.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
What happened to C15?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

:catbert:
How in the actual gently caress?

All I can think is water cooled turbo?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Memento posted:

I get 'nam flashbacks every time I see that poo poo. There was a bank of solenoids in the guts of that loving spaghetti mess that never got recalled, even though they knew they were shitter than poo poo, so they were just replacing them on a case-by-case basis. I did about 20 of those things things in 1999-2000, with each one having a warranty time of ten hours. Mazda being Mazda, that time was basically only achievable if you had wrists that bent all the way backwards so you could touch the point of your own elbow, and also if you designed the emissions system to begin with.

Many years later I was doing some work for a Mazda tuning house, and one of the cars that I did the warranty work on came in to get the twin turbos thrown away and a proper aftermarket set up done. I recognised the white-out markings that I would make on the individual vacuum tubes. Tearing all of that poo poo off without any regard for where anything went and throwing it all in the bin was a cathartic experience.

I live your nightmares. Three engines I've built up from kegs in the last few weeks.

Don't worry, I fix them too.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 2, 2016

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

wallaka posted:

The gently caress is EMPTY PIPE for?

Automatic transmission additional vacuum reservoir.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Is it bad that I have the diagram 90% memorized? Ugh. Thankfully I'm doing more single-turbo swaps now that the ECU/Turbo tech finally caught up to the consumer-level. Companies like Adaptronic, Injector Dynamics, CJ Motorsports, and BorgWarner really changed the possibilities for these cars.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Horrible manufacture failure?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Bookmarked. Those are awesome.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks Discount Tire! Had my wife get a tire rotation and she started to complain about a noise from the passenger side. Came out to the car to find this:

Every bolt was over 120lbs. If not higher. Repaired them myself because at 7pm on a Sunday, what other choice do you have?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Ebay turbo anyone? 800 miles...

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
With all the hose chat- what's the best option for standard rubber air hose ends? I hate hose clamps and it sucks to trim the hose back every year once the barbs eventually cut through.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
What is that, a Rx-7? I bet that carries at least a 60 octane rating.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I've always wanted to rig a microswitch on the key holder so our lathe won't run without the key in its "home".

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

shy boy from chess club posted:

Thats a wicked nice mower, my granpa has a couple like that that hes restored. Kohler makes the best gas engines hands down. I have a 22hp twin on one of my commercial mowers with 2500 hours on it and it runs perfect, still has crosshatch in the bores and plenty of power. I just regasketed it this winter and now its really like new with no leaks.

The Kawasaki engines are nice and have plenty of power but they leak oil if you look at them wrong. 450 hours on my newest machine and the drat top crank seal is leaking already and I change the oil more often than even recommended. Usually 20-30 hours. Another of my machines has a Kawa with about the same hours and when I pulled the tin to clean the fins last year one cylinder was completely caked and not getting any cooling at all. I didnt know because I clean my stuff weekly at least and the outside was spotless.

You're making me want to rebuild the 314 sitting in our barn.

What oil in the Kawa's? My Hustler just hit warranty and I'm thinking of switching to synthetic for no good reason.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I will continue running the cheapest SAE 30 oil then, because I have 6 quarts and that should last the next few years.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I've been a fan of my $280 Jackson - but I recently tried an Optrel and now I want to spend $$$.
https://www.jacksonsafety.com/product-page/truesight-ii-digital-variable-adf-black

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
That has to be a troll. There's paint scraped off on the upper holes. Even then, would never run that myself.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It's a GenY hitch - got a clearer view from some of his other videos.

https://genyhitch.com/product/mega-...7waAhEkEALw_wcB

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
:perfect:

I'm doing this to my neighbors Dodge. Pictures at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Well you don't want to leave it there, yes, but once you rinse it off it'll stop reacting. Ideally use something else if you can avoid anything with Lye in it.

Easy Off - Fume Free - lemon scent - is my choice for cleaning aluminum when normal APC or Purple Power won't touch the road grime.

Still not amazing for you - but less likely to cause issues with aluminum.
2-(2-butoxyethoxy)ethanol
potassium carbonate
2-aminoethanol
isobutane
d-Limonene