Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

Nerobro posted:

Rotaries are awesome. And utterly useless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_engine

Read up! And enjoy. They're a lot like steam engines in how backwards and crazy they are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_engine

Wankel... something different.

And radial, which is cool too. And completely relavant, even today.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radial_engine

Thank you, I learned something today because of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

Motronic posted:

I like the part where you can hear the driveshaft isn't balanced well enough to be going that fast and he keeps his foot buried.

That is exactly what I was going to say. Around 115 it already sounds like something is out of balance. In the comments he says they should have a better drive shaft, but I have a suspicion that if his drive shaft fails at 25 mph over the stock limit something else is not too far behind, or at the very least Ford felt it would be hard to control at those speeds.

My father always told me that car manufacturers pay a lot of money to people to design cars, and they are smarter than your dumbass friends or the guy at the parts store.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
I'm not saying there is something wrong with car as much as there is probably a reason for the limiter, even if it is just to sell v8's.

I also totally agree that Ford should not treat the v6 as "just a V6" and treat it as a 300hp motor. That applies to many recent cars, we are making more power per cubic inch than we ever have before, so puny 4 bangers are now regularly putting out over 200hp, and v6's can put out over 300. Hell, the F20C Honda put in the S2000 has more horsepower than the 350sbc Chevrolet put in Camaros in the 80's.

(I would like to note that I am fully aware the s2k has no low end to speak of)

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
All this fire talk reminds me of that drat bolt on my Civic's fuel filter; there is a bolt to let you release the pressure in the fuel line before taking out the banjo bolt. When I replaced the fuel filter and put the bolt back in the result was gasoline getting sprayed all over the engine bay; I managed to get it to stop, but in the back of my mind I expect that one day it is going to work itself loose and spray gasoline all over a hot engine.

Cowwan fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 30, 2012

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

Rumor has it that your block really isn't going to get hot enough to burn gasoline. Your cat, however...

That makes me feel better about it, the cat is under everything.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

Sponge! posted:

Today is opposite day...

BEAUTIFUL MECHANICAL SUCCESSES!

(1300 miles in on total rebuild....) Click for big...;

What motor is that? It looks exactly like my d15b2, but that seems like an odd motor to put work into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
It's so the engine can spin the wrong way, duh.