Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

tater_salad posted:

Which is why my next new car is going to need a backup camera. Because fuckwits can't be bothered to use their mirror or crane their neck to check behind them.
Are they more likely to check the camera?

To be fair, as belt lines get higher, rear visibility is going to suffer, and there's a blind spot behind the rear bumper that can easily obscure small children.

Also, did you know you can get a ticket for driving with fog lights on? Happened to a friend of a friend a few days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

anonumos posted:

No picture, but my 2010 Elantra with 38k blew a main seal and is awaiting a warranty-replacement engine. :( Engine sounded fine the entire time I've owned it, and the first sign of failure was last week when I noticed fresh oil spray on the underside of the hood (and all over the engine). Took it in, they looked at it for a while and sent me home with a loaner. Then I get a call: "You're getting a new engine!" Hooray?

Major repair work can lower the resale value. People will think the car is a lemon.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

nm posted:

In Chicago, parking somewhere where someone "reserved" with lawn furniture will result in far more than a note.

IMO, no furniture is fair game. I would leave snow in my spot to make it less attractive for people to park in. It worked well with my Subaru and people with trucks couldn't fit.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

General_Failure posted:

Call it a Tridor. Or a Coupe +

I like 2+1. Because no one is sitting behind the driver, honestly.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

stump posted:

Is ringing a thing in the US? Buying a wrecked car to transfer the clean identity to the a stolen one?

Yes, but keep in mind that a car with a salvage title has to be inspected before it's allowed back on the road, with receipts and such to show that everything wrong with the car was repaired with legal parts. I don't know about other states, but in MA the inspections are done with the state police, and they'll make the whole process a bitch and a half if they feel like it.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

InitialDave posted:

I have met very intelligent people who thought the "max pressure" on the sidewall was what they should run at. At least their MPG improved.

That's not too bad, the only problem is uneven tire wear.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Fucknag posted:

Also the fact that that's the max pressure the tire is rated to withstand. And when it heats up from driving the pressure rises, sooooo....

No, it's the maximum cold tire pressure. It still designed to withstand pressure increases due to heat and pressure spikes from hitting small potholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
More difficult to manufacture AND a worse design than just having a solid flange. Well done VW