Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Farking Bastage posted:

My dad in law's 1956 JD 70 diesel will run backwards if you hit the fuel lever on the wrong stroke when starting it. They addressed that in later years by adding an appendage of some sort in the valvetrain.

Man, that is awesome. I mean, how do you even tell when the right time to hit the fuel lever is? I suppose you'd get used to the sound of the stroke, but that's gotta be a weird trial and error learning curve.

[I'm sure everyone has seen this before but I can't resist reposting it]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG1MnXkHhlM

It's perfect the way that you can see where the flywheel reverses and off it goes. If I was involved in this, I would be the guy in the suspiciously clean high-vis gear who scampers around at a safe distance, and then gets a back pat in once everything has been sorted out.

[with added music]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrAeUf7v49g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

MrChips posted:

The proverbial skeleton masturbating in a filing cabinet full of tin cans.

For added comedy, accompanied by the romantic noises of Skeletons having sex on a tin roof.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

Is it a breaker bar on the backside? Now that would be awesome.

It /is/ a breaker bar!

When these came out a few years ago, the local Wera guy told me they handed out three of em to some big customers; two different steelworks places and some HD mechanic who apparently cackled and said "I can finally stop pretending that my socket isn't a hammer /and/ a breaker bar". He told them to beat the gently caress out of them and last time I asked, none had come back.

This same rep showed off the tiny 1/4" drive ratchet by fastening it to a low placed bolt and jumping up and down on the thing until it sheared off (the admittedly small low grade bolt). Wera makes fun stuff!

(edit:gently caress, beaten!)

Blitter fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 30, 2015

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Godholio posted:

:stare: That escalated quickly. That's not the typical short-lived fireball you see in those videos as the engine decides to realize its dream of becoming a bomb casing.

That is amazing.

:dance:

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

Ignition! is public domain nowadays, so you can download the PDF to your heart's content.

If you prefer an .epub I've got a version I'm happy to share around!

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Phanatic posted:

I don't think there is one. I work on aircraft, I see more than three bolts being wired regularly.

AgentJayZ has a good video illustrating lockwire techniques
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwFjUX6SaY8

And half an hour of miserable fiddling - "Hardest Lockwire"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcxHQXYU-Os

Blitter fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 24, 2016

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Midjack posted:

If it catches fire then it catches fire, yes. The claim was that monel will not oxidize when heated in a pure oxygen atmosphere, whether the heat comes from combustion of something else or another source.. I'm sure monel will go up just fine when you hit it with ClF3 or something stupid like that.

Enough pressure and temp and pretty anything will burn in a pure O2 environment!

"Some Nasa PDF posted:

Monel alloys, nickel-copper alloys, are the least ignitable alloys commonly used as structural materials. Monel 400 and K-500 have not ignited in particle impact tests (although some surface melting and burning may be observed) and do not burn upwards in upward flammability tests even at oxygen pressures as high as 69 MPa (10000 psia). Monel alloys ignite in frictional heating tests at higher loads than stainless steels, but the fire does not propagate. (Monel alloys have unusually high values for the friction coefficient m).

Oh, man chapter 3 is a cool read; lots of metals being encouraged to burn via friction, impact etc!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Yeah this is more what I would expect. Are you using an IR thermometer?

I would expect that the real problems happen when the entire layer of asphalt hits those temps, so I don't know that surface temp is especially useful.