Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

tater_salad posted:

BUT.. it was NEVER used for support, the car went up, got dropped on jack stands (I always use 2 on the side I'm working on). I also try to put the tires under the frame of the car for just 1 more point of protection.

Yea, pretty much this.

You have to be pretty retarded to use a scissor jack for support. Even if you for whatever reason don't have a jack stand, use your spare tire, a brick or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

OneStopShop posted:

http://youtu.be/RLB8dmVIlGE

Scary as hell. It would be bad enough to have that happen on the street, but at 190 km/h?

I suppose its lucky this happened where he had a runoff area.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

Ever wonder what happens when a fire starts at an acetylene bottler? :clint:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gWBUoWigKCc#t=1426s

Happened in Dallas a few years ago. To add to the failure fun, Dallas PD/FD didn't bother closing I-35 until well after the tanks were flying, as you can see in another video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyUVswUkEIA

http://www.texas-fire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4011 has a bit more info on it.

The must suck so much, being a firefighter and not being able to do a damned thing about a fire.
Even if a bottle of acetylene is consumed by fire and doesn't explode (not heated for long enough) it's still dangerous, even if the bottle has been cooled down.

That said, oxyacetylene cutters are soooo fun.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Might not be so horrible compared to some of the stuff in this thread, but not really a thing you want to happen to you while driving.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

meatpimp posted:

There's a whole lot more to that story than just "happened while driving."

Rear brake calipers don't just fall off. There are pads missing that even if the caliper just fell off would still be in place. Pistons are kept in place by the placement of the caliper and, by the looks of that rotor, there was a problem for a while.

Looks more like wanton neglect than "something that happened."

I don't really know the guy whose car this is, but from what i know he is a petrol head (imsobadwithwords).
Not that it really matters, the car was a '00 Legacy Outback.

But i find it hard to believe that he didn't notice anything wrong before going "oh god no brakes".

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Cakefool posted:

By the looks if that, "ooh god no brakes" happened a while ago.

That may be, but keep in mind that in Iceland everything is swimming in salt before you can say "helvítis snjór".

Ok that is a bad example, but you get my point.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Motronic posted:

Salt doesn't make you put your foot on the brake pedal after you've removed the caliper.

What i meant was that most disks look like this after say, 4 days, of no movement because of the insane amount of salt everywhere.

But i really have no idea what the condition of that car was, it appeared on a facebook feed (or whatever those things are called) and then sent to me.

dor1 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 22, 2011

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

InitialDave posted:

So, yeah, a boat fell over in Italy. Anyone want to talk about that?

But it ran aground, right?
So that would be a captains failure more than anything else.

edit: Who the hell takes a ship of that size that close to a coast?
Also:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/14/article-2086527-0F7474AE00000578-838_634x481.jpg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Steamos posted:

Didn't it hit a sandbar beforehand?

I thought it hit something then it was taken closer to land so that people could have at least some chance of swimming to land.

The three people that died tried to swim to land.

I can tell you that jumping from that sort of height and now knowing how to land "safely" will hurt like hell.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Two Finger posted:

A relief valve lifted, this is a small room off to the side of the main engine room that I normally just glance into to see if there are any problems, and, well. I dunno how long the relief valve had been dumping for but it was several tonnes of water.
Wait, why is there a relief valve inside the cooler? I thought they were always before/after the cooler.

edit: also, why isn't there a water sensor or some such poo poo in there?

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Two Finger posted:

The two problems are actually unrelated, they just happened on the same day. The big pool of water is from one system, the heat exchanger leak is from the cooling for the main engines.

The reason there isn't a water sensor there is to give me something to do - it's the engineers' job to find things like this and fix them.

I just thought most 'rooms' where the coolers are had flotation sensors that activated a bilge pump.

VVVVVVV - I am an illiterate dumbass

dor1 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 30, 2012

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Also, if you dimension a UNJF thread in millimeters you deserve a slap.

Who? Who does this?

But keeping with the Boeing inch thing, a friend of mine is working for an airline as a technician that use Boeing aircraft exclusively, and he has no problem with it, probably because he, like everyone else working there has gotten used to it a looong time ago.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011
A coworker of mine had a bit of trouble with his Renault.

He claims that the sparkplug broke and did that damage, although i'd reckon the valve broke first, because i'm fairly sure it'd take a broken spark plug a long time to do all that damage.

And another coworker messed up a 'bit' when reassembling a forklift

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Yea, no, no need to change your filter, it's good for another 5k

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Postal posted:

I swear I heard it somewhere that there was a requirement on ease of removing the steering wheel and exiting (with help?) in the event of a fire.

But yeah, sitting with legs raised to chest height, hand holds above shoulder height and bum down low at the bottom of the car can't be easy to get out of without help.

From the F1 regulations:

quote:

13.1.4 From his normal seating position, with all seat belts fastened and whilst wearing his usual driving equipment, the driver must be able to remove the steering wheel and get out of the car within 5 seconds and then replace the steering wheel in a total of 10 seconds.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

MrChips posted:

The fire risk, while real, is a bit overstated in Formula 1 these days.

To add a bit on this: Pretty much every time there is an engine fire these days the on board extinguisher will eliminate any danger to the driver.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011
Woops

As it turns out, 600Nm is not enough torque to fasten wheel bolts on forklifts.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Only the day after do I realize these were Mopar 1970s driver's-side reverse-thread studs and lugs. So I am the mechanic failure. I'm real strong though, apparently.

Why the hell would they have reverse threads?

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

I'm assuming the Audi is towing the lorry.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen.

And that hydraulic hoses shouldn''t bend like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Sometimes, companies sell jack stands as sets, and quote "10 tons" per set. Rather than 10 tons per stand. Which is pretty shady.

I'm used to working on "minimum bending radius = 6 x tube diameter" for hard lines. Is that not correct?
Not really sure on that one, often we define the minimum radius as "if you can bend it by hand, it's fine". But it also depends on how high it's rated, 400bar hoses will bend less than 250 bar ones.

RE: jackstand.
We lifted the crane using the hydraulic rams on it, removed the wheel and placed the stand under hub, switched out the hydraulic cylinder/shock absorber, and the wheel put back on, but the problem was that the stand was placed in such a way that it was too close to the wheel, and when the wheel was back on (which was an absolute pain, no wonder) the tire made contact with the stand, and so when we dropped the crane back down, poo poo happened and the stand was hosed.

The weight should really only have been 8 tons max.

dor1 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 5, 2017