Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

don't do this if you or any of your neighbors have pets.

you'll find 2 dead squirrels and a dead cat in your yard the next day. :ninja:

I must be doing it wrong then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Phanatic posted:

It's funnier if you pretend those are all from the same vehicle.

As I was scrolling down I got to thinking "how could these all have possibly come from the same engine at one time?!"

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Right now I make as much as I did coming out of high school 12 years ago. I get paid to go to meetings. You're getting assfucked.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
The actual quote was something like "I was just mowing along, the engine stopped and wouldn't restart. I looked down and my feet were just covered in oil!"

Kohler Courage single cylinder consumer engine, about five years old. Split entirely in half. The cylinder and head were still around the piston when it came in, retained by the muffler assembly and blower housing.

Even though the unit was three years out of warranty, Kohler bought the customer a short block. Total cost to the customer for a new engine is going to be around $215. Saved our asses, too, because we had just done a total service to the mower.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Billy Tully posted:

Holy poo poo I've never seen a failure like that. Were you able to determine what caused it?

Big Box stores demanding equipment made to lower prices every year. Companies figured out that customers don't do ANY maintenance for years at a time. Then, the question becomes why build maintainable OPE that will get ignored and trashed in 5 years? Why not just build equipment that is going to last 5 years with no maintenance and build it cheaply so they'll be able to buy a new one when it breaks?

Single cylinder Kohler Courage - sucks. Twin cylinder Courage - ehhhhhhh. Kawasaki FR series - better than the courage. B&S "professional" singles and twins are like the Courage except with less unexplained valve cover leaking and split crank cases and more carb problems.

Four times the price gets you four to six times the longevity. Briggs Vanguard, Kohler Command, all non-FR Kawasakis and the Honda GX engines do this.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Well here's another one. More of a horrible maintenance failure, though.

Mower has a 5 year warranty, end to end. Customer buys one, does NOTHING to it for three years. Air filter turns into a brick of awful, engine starts pulling air from the crank case along with the oil. No oil = YAY! "Fix it. It's under WARRANTY! I paid A LOT OF MONEY TO YOU PEOPLE!"

Note there are TWO air filters pictured. This is a common occurrence.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Geoj posted:

As in its common for idiot owners to buy a new air filter and somehow jam it on top of the existing filter...?

Also please tell me they denied the warranty claim...

I denied the claim. Not even worth calling B&S on. I was told by the 11 year old son that I'd lose the dealership over it. loving customers.

Never seen a doubled up AF. I have seen a foam pre filter... and that's it. Guy wanted to know why his tiller was smoking and burning so much oil. He had gotten it second hand that way, though.

e:There's a hierarchy to the poo poo an engine goes through. It goes something like concrete cutter>tiller>leaf vac>chipper>lawn mower. You should be checking oil every time you operate anything, changing it every 6 months on the lawn mower and every 8 hours of operation on a tiller or concrete cutter (if it's 4 cycle). If you keep your AF from plugging, change it every year and even just keep the oil topped up, you can get a B&S Quantum based engine to run for 15-20 years.

Skyssx fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 18, 2011

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

lazer_chicken posted:

Is it still common for lawn mower/tiller/etc. engines to be sidevalves like that one is? My father's 1990 toro lawnmower proudly proclaims "OHV" on top of the engine cover. It's also been used non-stop for the past 21 years and still runs like a top. I does get somewhat regular oil changes, but I believe the original spark plug was just changed in the past couple years.

The B&S Quantum engine came out in 1986 (?) and has been the mainstay of walk behind lawnmower engines since then. Tecumseh walk power mower motors were all side valves as well until they went out of business. Honda has done the OHV and OHC thing for decades now. A 1990 OHV would be quite rare, I can't even think of what engine that might be.

All the companies *make* small OHV engines, but they don't have the proven track record or durability of the side valves.

In fact, the B&S Quantum motor is so ubiquitous, we order those slightly rectangular air filters, 491588S, in boxes roughly the same size as a U-Haul size large.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Command >>>> Magnum. There's just no reason to go with a Magnum except packaging. The line ended in the early '00s, but it's already a parts wasteland. You can get more and cheaper parts for a K series than a Magnum.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, the performance that people need out of a small engine doesn't always necessitate the benefits of a OHV/OHC arrangement. With a flathead you get a cylinder head that's extremely simple, and two valves driven directly by a cam (that can be driven by a gear off of the crank). OHV you need to at least add pushrods and rockers to it, maybe even lifters? Never seen a GX pulled apart.

That said, I do like the OHC GC160 my dad put on our little go-kart. Easy as hell to start and ran drat well once you tweaked the governor to get a little extra RPM.

I've never seen a GX pulled apart either. Or in for repair at all, just maintenance. The new GXes are very advanced, no word yet on reliability. There's no headgasket. The cylinder and head are all one piece. The pushrods ride in aluminum tubes external to the cylinder itself for extra cool operation. You look at the parts break down and you're like :aaaa:

The lead tech at work has been working at this shop 15 years. In that time, he's never had to do a shortblock on a Briggs Vanguard V-twin. Ever. They are vacuum sensitive engines though. Any leaks will result in a mean surge.

Kohler Commands have hydraulic lifters, no adjustments.

Kawasakis have flat tappet lifters and require a valve service every 300 hours that no one does. By 600 hours, though, you're really noticing the wear. $500 later and it's purring like its new. The new FX series had some serious issues. The fuel injected version had its own problems, but all the high horse power engines needed a new camshaft and two new heads. Kaw pays out about $1300 per engine in factory directed mods. They might as well have not even made the engines at all.

lazer-chicken, I forgot about the Suzukis. Those are fun on parts. A fuel needle and seat alone can run $40. Yes, they were hideously reliable.

Sorry for the horrible derailing. I'll take pictures of some ruined Stihls tomorrow.

e: ok I lied, I found some more crap.

3000 series cub with what, IIRC, was a leaking charge pump. Sorta collected all that dirt and crap. I've seen worse since then, but didn't get pictures.

You're supposed to clean this out, you know, once in a while.

My mower won't start. You JUST worked on it! It's WARRANTY!

Safety is job 7502803800729572394721.2

I need a "tune up". What do you MEAN it's going to cost $700?! Top oil seal and/or breather gasket + valve job and one new head due to the extreme overheating and dropped valve guide.

Once or twice a year i've got to go prepare this pile for scrap.

The best trailer ever. Of all time.

Skyssx fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 19, 2011

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Gaskets always come apart when you pull the head. You can see a bad headgasket by white smoke coming out around the perimeter of the head. You'll also hear it "tsss, tsss, tssss" when the engine spins down. You would see carbon markings flowing through the gasket region had it been blown. What could have happened is that your ACR failed, or the valves are so worn the ACR does nothing. With the piston at TDC for ignition, try to wiggle and spin the valves and wiggle the piston, no play should be evident. Then have a buddy (or clamp) hold the bail and pull the engine medium speed. Look for the valves to open in an alternating fashion, and the exhaust valve to do a tiny second bump during compression. If no play and no bump, suspect ACR on camshaft.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Billy Tully posted:

The engine itself is ok but their carburetors blow. I have a bunch of equipment that has been sitting around and the Briggs always run with new gas and a little engine starter, the Tecumsehs ALWAYS have to have the carb rebuilt and they get this nasty green stuff in them that is hard to remove.

631021A. Every year, without fail.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
If you've got a surge with an airvane, you need to clean the jet or otherwise enlarge it.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I think you have misread. You need to check tires before you've driven a mile or after the tires have sat in the shade for an hour.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
As far as timing belt breakage being anyone else's fault, it's not. I am a service writer at a (lawnmower) shop that serves commercial customers for a major metropolitan area. Even if you buy our premium commercial tune up in the spring, you'll need to do a lot of the steps again by July and again in September. We're not going to give you a list of stuff to do, the hour meter is right next to the key switch. Don't bitch if your spindle bearings poo poo because you haven't greased them for 300 hours.

You read your manual and you tell me. Or just pay the piper.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
The town directly west of me let a 4 lane state route artery get so awful people were trashing suspension daily. There was a class action suit, the city had to resurface the road, then pretty much told everyone they were bankrupt and laid off half their police and fire people.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

At least we don't come into your state and drive 5 under the speed limit in the left lane like Ohio drivers do in Michigan.

Not my fault you've got a bunch of exits and ramps on the left side of the highway. I don't apologize for driving 5 under, either. 17 MPG at 70, 20 MPG at 65. :dealwithit:

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

oxbrain posted:

99.99% of them will never see anything but pavement anyway.

Since when do people expect to be able to drive their car like in the commercials?
http://youtu.be/GveDVITQ5H4

That was amazing. Looking under the Raptor, though, you would think it could do just about anything.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Ok. I only got to stick my head in the wheel wells and engine compartment at an auto show.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Well... Ford did manage to stay solvent.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

nm posted:

Ford got lucky and don't let anyone tell you different.
Ford had the "luck" of nearly going insolvent first when credit markets were still open. They mortgaged everything from factories to the blue oval (no, really) to get financing right before the bubble burst.
GM and Chrysler had the fortune to me slightly less messed up and only run out of money after the bubble burst.

I know Ford got HUGE loans while there was still any money *to* loan. I don't refuse to believe Ford was incredibly lucky, it just seems unlikely. Getting loans just before there were no loans, having a large lineup of fuel efficient cars at just the right time?

The mod engine sparkplug issue is hugely widespread. Acknowledging and repairing all of the affected heads would have ruined any company.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Lowclock posted:

Slamming on the brakes at 130mph is just common, every-day, legal street-driving when you live life a quarter-mile at a time.

The world would be safer with drum only brakes. By far.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

MikeyTsi posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND apparently finds it sexy when I'm done working on a car and my hands are covered in oil and whatever other poo poo was caked to whatever I was removing.

MY FIANCE is excited by watching anyone work on a car. This should work out nicely.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

trouser chili posted:

Apparently be left outside to rust and total neglect for several decades before being brought back angrily to life by a couple of guys with a blow torch, air compressor and something that perhaps resembles fuel.

Backwards.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I've gotten oil samples from my truck from purchase all the way to 30k miles. Blackstone continually says viscosity, fuel content, additive package and lubricity are all well within spec at manufacturer recommended 5k change intervals.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Not horrible, par for the course with MTD.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

wav3form posted:

What exactly am I looking at here? Is the blade falling off or something?

The bolt securing the blade backed out, the blade and blade adapter are just floating on the shaft.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Muffinpox posted:

I knows it's just a reflex, but the countersteering always makes me laugh.

Sitting on the toilet at work, giggling like a madman.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Imagine a 4 pointed rotor spinning within a five pointed cavity. That's what your hydraulic pump in the transaxle looks like. Never taken apart a hydro motor, so I can't rightly say.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Exactly that. Then there's a swash plate that changes pressure on pistons further into the pump. This reverses the flow for bi-directional motor operation.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Geirskogul posted:

Drum brakes are stupidly simple, and they make perfect emergency stop brakes, especially if they're TLS and not SLS. I don't understand all the hate. I mean, I still prefer discs 99% of the time, but don't run away and cower in fear when a drum brake shows it's face.

Because it's 2011. Are any cars still sold with non-synchromesh transmissions to save money?

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

kastein posted:

If you want something simple, look at a disc brake... a caliper with a piston pushes two pads together against the sides of a rotating disc. Doesn't get packed with mud or dirt, no adjustments, the pads are flat, and you can put an e-brake on it by milling an ACME thread into the piston and attaching a bellcrank and the e-brake cable (example: some Cadillac rear calipers.)

Or put a brake band on the transmission output flange. Simplest brake ever.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

kastein posted:

Might do that, but if I manage to drop my driveshaft, I'm boned. I like my brakes (especially e-brakes) to be as close as possible to the wheels.

I'm not opposed to a second mechanical caliper on the rear brake discs, i'm just thinking as cheap and simple as possible. I give no gently caress about another couple pounds of unsprung weight, I drive a live axle.

Just... loving drums, man.

Yeah, I can take them apart, rebuild everything cheaply and adjust them properly. But gently caress a bunch of that poo poo. I can "rebuild" my front brakes without even dismounting the calipers. Spin piston retraction bolt, remove pad retention pins, slide out old pads, slide in new, set new pins and release retraction bolt.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

A student posted:

I figured that the pads were taken off for the photo. It was really driven without break pads?

Well since there are no such things as "break pads"...

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

DELETED posted:

It's also the only wasp killer

Fire?

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I didn't know Mazda made trailers!

I see this almost daily in the summer.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

heat posted:

I realize it's on a trailer but still, wouldn't you be able to hear that a while before it shredded itself?

Apparently not. There's one on the lot right now where the entire hub fell off at speed. It showed up last week full of roofing materials (dump trailer) and the end of the axle missing the hub was tied up with many multiple ratchet straps. We made him go dump the load before we'd do any work to it. Pretty sure the axle is fuckered on that one, too.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Because we're all using non-chlorinated brake cleaner...

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

heat posted:

Did you read the part of the article where he was welding with it? It won't decompose into phosgene without argon.

Ultra-violet light. Argon is inert.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I sanded most of the skin off the back of where the thumb joins the hand. Flap wheel went right through the fabric and foam in the Mechanix gloves. I was removing plasma slag from aluminum for some dude's armor. We had an assembly line going making tens of lames for a guy.

So anyway, instead of sanding the slag, sand the edge you cut. It'll reduce the amount of metal holding on the slag and allow you to zip it off in one pass. And it gets your hand out of the plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

EightBit posted:

I'm sorry, but none of those planes have rotary engines. Radial is the term you're looking for.

Rotary an radial are not the same. Wankles are not the first engines to be called rotaries.

This is a radial with an inordinately long intro, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1rjRmTV9qE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This is the original meaning of rotary engine, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1rjRmTV9qE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
To which you would rightly say "holy poo poo!" like wankels, they were fatally flawed.

Skyssx fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 8, 2011