Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I, too, love showing up to work and/or social events with pit stains and reeking of ball sweat.

Girls like the reek of ball sweat. You attend the wrong social events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

dissss posted:

Not sure it counts as a mechanical failure but it certainly counts as a failure
http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/3-million-smash-supercars-caught-in-mass-pileup-20111205-1odyh.html

Outrageous human brain failure maybe, but nothing mechanical. From my point of view everything mechanical worked exactly as expected. Sad day though.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011
Reading Sir Arthur Conan Doyle methodically has provided me unique insight in cases like these.

1) It's probably the butler.
2) The butler is likely to be a Prius.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

I honestly hope it's not as bad as it looks.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Oh...

The car is now grounded until I replace the rest of the tires, they're all pretty worn out. That's what I get for trying to push old tires as long as possible.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

nm posted:

You may want to see what the VW tool costs.

The VW/Audi Dual Ball Joint Extractor tools are Klann 0250-40 ($500) and Klann 0250-402 ($100).

Might very well not be worth it. Just stay the gently caress away from wrenching VWs and Audis and you'll be fine and not in the danger zone for spontaneous combustion.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Das Volk posted:

Speaking of diesels: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUurXdTPgfg
:hitler:

That thing doesn't have a real wiring harness or any ball joints. Hitler saved the best things for himself and carefully planned to automotively destroy the rest of the world.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

That is an absolutely astounding bodge-job. I'd never let any of those guys anywhere near any of my vehicles with any kind of tools, not even my bicycle, but I'd sure as hell watch them bodge the hell out of someone else's car.

Don't be that harsh. I've wrenched your vehicles in an absolutely non-sober just-awoken Sunday state of mind. There's been incidents and accidents.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

No, I'm sorry, but it must remain a secret.

If they get me sufficiently drunk, I might tell them anyway. Just go ahead.

Only thing I have for my defense, is that even drunk and unexpectedly torn from my bed, I really can't take a Fiat Panda Diesel serious.

P.S. If you do this, I'll just repost a picture of your Bandit600 brake fluid. "Fluid" is a kind way to describe that somewhat liquid slime. Yes, I still have it available. I use it to scare the kids.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 18, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Ola posted:

Little did Kozmonaut and Cornelius know their escapades were captured on film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkaBgKC0kdU

Close, but actually it was more like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOOUqlvqS6g

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011
I weren't awake goddammit and it's not like failing brakes are in any way even close to dangerous in a Fiat Panda.

Fine D.O.T. 5.1 to the left.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 18, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

sharkytm posted:

Hints and allegations?

Yeah ;)

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

I am confused by "registration", in the US that's something you need to pay for yearly (well, every 1, 2, or 3 years now, depending on the state). I can't imagine paying double the price of the vehicle every year. Do the VAT and registration prices appropriately follow the depreciation value of the vehicle, ie if the first owner buys it at 20,000 and sells it at 4,000, years later, how are the VAT and registration updated? By using the actual sale price?

That's a fraud area in the US, as the "official" price that changed hands is what's written on the title, so a handshake deal could be for considerably more, but tax is paid on the "official" price.

That massive "registration fee" is a 1-time tax for registering a new vehicle. We've got a yearly registration fee too ..ohh, yeah and "Green"-taxes too.

You can add to the equation that most people being able to afford nice cars pay a 55-60% income tax.

On the plus side: If you get a seizure or a stroke when receiving your tax bill, we've got totally free health care.

/Beaten by Hr. Bolind.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

On cars, there are various rebates and penalties for good/bad gas mileage, safety equipment and so on. None of that counts for motorcycles.

You get a slight reduction for ABS.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

kastein posted:

OH GOD I DROVE THIS? :stare::stare::gonk:

That's not a horrible mechanical failure. It's barely a 4 on the open Sockington scale.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Nerobro posted:

The sockington scale needs to be an official measure.

A pile of rust is a 6-10 on the Sockington scale, and a house-sized pile is 11. If it has tires it's only a 5. A 4 is somewhat drivable.

A perfect restoration is 1.0 Moocow.

50 mouse-scrolls worth of text is 0.3 Z3n.

Professor-level advise for simple questions is 0.8 Nerobro.

I thought those measurements were solidly established already?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

kastein posted:

This was about a 5.5, it had tires but two of them wouldn't have remained attached for long. I think I have knocked around 50lbs of rust off it so far and I am sure another 100lbs are scattered across most of central massachusetts.

I think you're bragging. If you drove it, it's clearly just a Sockington 4.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

sharkytm posted:

Or its a lovely wheel and equally (unevenly) crappy tire.

I'm pretty sure it's a joke. Just look at all that weight. Might as well strap a cat to the wheel.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Every time I hear Nitrous or NOS now, all I can think of is retard-ism.

Do you ever wonder why the other kids never invited you to their birthday-parties?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

mutt2jeff posted:

That's loving brutal. I need to know how to replicate that. Tell me more.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Method Loser posted:

obviously, obso, your luck is fine, and a Samurai+V8 will work. until it rusts (enough.)

Sure it works. Somebody's already made it their business: http://www.suzukiconversion.com/suzuki_v8.htm

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

I've seen plenty of cars driving around here with the brake lights permanently on. It's either electrical faults or people resting their left feet on their brake pedals, I guess. Some of them have had the distinct smell of toasted brakes about them.

Worst thing is people driving with their rear fog-lights permanently on. If it's dual sided fog-lights you can just hardly see the brake-lights.

gently caress-lights.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

meatpimp posted:

I don't get it... nitrogen filled tire? Ummmm... slightly curbed rim under a clamp weight?

Sure it's missing a rotor and brake pads, but it's also missing 3 out of 5 lug nuts, so it's not a "whoopsie, forgot the rotor"... so what did I miss?

Don't bother about the missing lug-nuts. It's got a balancing weight to compensate. Great placement of that balancing weight by the way. It's really pretty where it's placed. Like a rare pearl or diamond. gently caress rotors, breaking is for pussies.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

c355n4 posted:

Why do people sit on the back of the cars while they are being dyno'd?

Because a couple of fat dudes in the trunk is a valid upgrade for any RWD performance car.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Fucker got whet he deserved. Too bad about the tire though.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Cakefool posted:

Most of our Firearms manufacturers tried their hand at building motorcycles, guess how well that turned out :v:

The Germans beat us in the end. H&K has superior quality control and actually hires mechanical engineers at reasonable salaries. Just in the US.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Bondematt posted:

How...did they get them in there? I guess I never thought of trying to load a magazine backwards...

They didn't. It's a very old joke, that's all.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

When in doubt, poke with a stick.

Thanks a lot, rear end in a top hat. I tried that miracle-trick of yours at an apparently abandoned wasp hive I found in my front-yard. You owe me $2 worth of antihistamines.

Bad Advise. D-minus!!!! Will NOT poke with sticks again!

Best answer to a bulking tire like that is to shoot it from a safe distance with a .22LR. Try to avoid hitting brake lines or your wire harness. A .22LR is able to maybe just penetrate both sidewalls, but not much more.

Eagerly awaiting stories about people being almost killed by my advise, because "that murderous round was still bouncing around in the tire when I removed it"

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 16, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Fucknag posted:

No, the unique part is that it isn't a pile of ash. :v:

The chassis frame is rather high grade steel. It will probably not warp much just because its clothes burned.

However the crystalline structure of the steel has probably changed quite a bit after another tempering/annealing.

The frame is pretty much toast, even though it looks like "just need some POR15 to fix it". To save it as a structural frame will be way beyond what the original manufactures are capable of.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

InitialDave posted:

One of our suppliers burned down once (actually twice, but hey) with a load of our parts on-site. My suggestion that they just time the blaze +/- 10 minutes before putting it out and we'll see if we can certify it as a heat treatment didn't go down too well.

For people that originally ordered martensite, bainite can be a really nasty once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Memento1979 posted:

Once-in-a-lifetime because it usually signifies the end of a lifetime?

For constructional elements in a fast car, you might be correct. Bainite is some brittle poo poo for a frame.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Motronic posted:

And nothing of value was lost.

It seems that all the gas was lost.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Beach Bum posted:

:rolleyes: Yeah I'm sure BMW just paints the tips of the caliper bolts blue for fun and the Shop Manual/Bentley recommend threadlocker because they've got a kickback deal with Loctite. :jerkbag:

You are correct that BMW use blue Loctite for caliber bolts. They really should use red. It's also pretty unnecessary, if you just torque the bolts to specs.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

WebDog posted:

Do these count?

Basically a container ship got hit in a tropical storm and the lashing failed.

Sadly this is more common than most people think. High seas aren't joyrides. I see no mechanical failure though.

Cakefool posted:

Those pictures always impress me regarding the strength of the connectors between containers.

Pretty much this.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

This is the second or third time I have, check the Audi build thread to see me pull drive line Allen bolts with an easy out FROM AN ANGLE :catstare:

In medieval times we'd have to burn you for witchcraft.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Something dropped in two cylinders from what I can tell...

Probably not be before the timing belt snapped.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Hey, uh, I think something's wrong with your turbo, dude

Seriously, no bueno

Sweet merciful christ

Christ. I'd surely hate to have to remove that piece of cast iron from my skull.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Motronic posted:

I guarantee you it's the same Chinese supplier. The pieces are very literally from the same casting.

It's the same Chinese manufacturer that supplies worldwide. They're all over Europe too from about 20 different chains.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Did the owner die from a Chinese hose clamp through the brain?

Amoan posted:

I don't even.. :stare:

Hell of a lot of rust

The rust shouldn't scare you compared to what else is in that picture.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

DJ Commie posted:

The cheapest lowering, even cheaper than a blowtorch or cutting the springs.

To be fair, I think that it's unrealistic to imagine that he drove the car like that. Probably just used that poo poo instead of real compressors to remove them. It's still scarry enough though.