Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Why would you keep those things together??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm sure that nothing could go wrong with drivers looking exclusively at a screen that shows them what's 4-6 feet behind them and nothing else :rolleyes:

What I can't believe is that GM is expecting to sell self driving cars by the end of 2016. Not that they can't make them, mind you, but that people would trust a car that drives itself from the company that couldn't make sure that your brand new car can stay on while you're driving it

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Jamus posted:

If you don't use your parking brake, how do you know when you're done driving?

Is this a regional thing? I've seen this thread mentioning people not using their parking brake before. I've never heard of anybody not using it where I live (Australia) and it just seems weird. Maybe it's because Australia has a higher percentage of manual gearboxes or something.

When I was learning manual, everyone told me to just leave the car in gear when I turn it off. I always use my parking break, but apparently everyone in my social circle doesn't bother with it

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

dissss posted:

Do you not have hills or something?

Chicago, brother. All flat, all the time

dissss posted:

I'm still amazed at how some people consider using the parking brake to do a hill start in a manual car a 'trick' - it isn't a god damned trick it is how you are supposed to be taught to drive.

I killed my car almost 10 times on a hill with a stop light before I learned that the hand brake can be used in place of the real brake because I don't have 3 loving feet and the guy behind me kept freaking me out by creeping up on me.

This weekend I have to fix the wiring on my girlfriend's dying 1992 525i. Again. If you guys hang out in the stupid questions thread, you might remember the awfulness, but now I'll finally have pictures for this thread

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

The Midniter posted:

Why use the handbrake when moving uphill from a dead stop when you can just rev to 4k and dump the clutch?? :v:

I have never not used the parking brake in my manual car, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone I know who drives an automatic use it in theirs. I guess people have a lot of faith in their parking pawl (as if they have any loving clue what a parking pawl is).

"Well, it says park, so doesn't it activate the parking brake?" :downs:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

SEKCobra posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be easiest to just put some wirecutters to the brakeline?

I think that would be too noticeable, who doesn't use their brake until they're going +30? Maybe a couple holes in the top of the lines so the driver can get a couple stops in before there's a problem, but I think brakes cut are more of a movie thing since they can contrive a reason that the driver wouldn't brake until they're going fast

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I think sound and heat would be the biggest challenges to overcome. Expecially if the jet cars are involved, being 50 yards behind those feel like standing right next to a bonfire

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Most of the people I know don't mix weed and ecigs since the fluid can clog the coils if it hasn't been treated right. Of course, it's not especially difficult to do right, but that's an entirely different forum

"Step one for replacing the headlights, remove loving everything"

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 23, 2014

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Slugworth posted:

Also none of the cheap midas/jiffy lube type places have any idea how to accomplish it, and refuse to do it, leading you to pay some ridiculous price at the dealership.

Also the water pump has plastic blades that break frequently.

Also the o2 sensors fail almost annually.

Superior German engineering

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Sir_Substance posted:

I'm not an expert, but I gather it's variable. Depends on the mechanism and how much power you put through it.

It's an aerosol apparently, of whatever the carrier is, which is usually propylene glycol?

Bingo, the material/positioning of the wick, the airflow into the atomizer, the width of the tubes, voltage of the battery and resistance of the coil all contribute to the thickness/smoothness of the "smoke". The smoke is atomized propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, flavorings and psychoactive substance of choice
There are some people who just like the feeling of smoke and have nothing in their PG/VG solution for whatever incomprehensible reason. Emerging studies show that these produce worrying amounts of formaldehyde out of the PG and VG at those temperatures, dubious studies aside, we really don't know the long term effects of them are besides, "gently caress ton safer than real cigarettes" but likely not great for you

EKDS5k posted:

Don't forget there is some kind of plastic manifold for coolant in there, which will crack for no reason at all. Over the course of a couple months we put two new ones in my boss's daughter's car, and the newest one started leaking again within 3 months. Eventually she gave up putting water in it every day and stopped driving it.

Bajaha posted:

Character, soul, personality.

It's a rather personable machine with a lot of soul, and with enough problems over its life span that it's a real character builder
Wait, nevermind, it looks like a mid 00's "New Beetle" instead of the actual newer ones. It should be set on fire, rolled of a cliff into a trash compactor and then the metal cube that comes out needs to be dropped onto another New Beetle, which also will be set alight and pushed into the same quarry ad nauseum until we end up with a Katamari of hideous, unreliable poo poo boxes that used to make the xD look subtle and nuanced.
But at least it was one of maybe 3 compact diesels in the American market.... maybe it should just be on fire and rolled into a compactor instead of into the quarry first

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 24, 2014

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

The Midniter posted:

It doesn't make any sense. You inhale the vapor into your lungs, you don't ingest it into your stomach.

Also there is no sugar in it. At all. Not even on the molecular level is there a single molecule of sugar
You'd also be much more likely to get pneumonia than diabetes from inhaling sugar on a regular basis, but whatever

E: thinking about it, you could probably get chemical pneumonia from vaping from sun rise to sunset, but the nicotine would likely kill you first. As of yet there are no known health risks to ecigs, aside from the risks that come with inhaling not air

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 24, 2014

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

revmoo posted:

There's sugar in most e-cig juices.... I don't know if it would be enough to cause diabetus though.

Oh, I was talking about propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin, the primary ingredients, but different companies could use different sweeteners in their flavors. I've never had to since PG is already so sweet

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't notice any threat from these tire blisters? If the tire is stable and stationary, it's doubtful that the rubber will rupture, especially if the pressure is released from the valve (infact, the bulge would be the first thing to deflate). Even if it does burst, the tyre itself will not blow out, so provided you're not within the bulges diameter, you're not even at risk of being hit by the flapping rubber.

Maybe I should start a side business, charging $50 "hazard pay" to deflate these tires for people.

It is likely pretty safe to deflate, especially with all of the damage pointed away from the nozzle, but all I can think of when I see that is the gif of that Chinese guy who slashes a truck tire and it blows him off his feet, his shirt off and the knife across his forearm

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Sadi posted:

Thought I would share the pics of my horrible mechanical failure.

Was sliding at about 60mph in a right hander at a nice big open autocross when I heard a bang and thought I lost a tire. Turns out I didn't. Now it looks like all new bushings, aluminum adjustable control arms and sub frame reinforcement kits are in order.

So that's why brother was warning me about drifting.... How did you get the car home?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Godholio posted:

I've done that.

It got stuck against the wheel, but it was definitely free of the caliper. Don't forgot those cotter pins, kids. I didn't get a funny noise, I just had the pedal sink to the floor as I exited the interstate, as one of the pistons popped out of place enough to dump all the fluid. Didn't lose the piston, at least. Downshifted and parking braked my way to a stop and got a tow. No damage, and all that ended up missing was the retaining pin that held the pads in place. And all the goddamned brake fluid. I either forgot to install or bend the cotter pin that held that pin in place...about two weeks earlier.

Yeah, first time doing brakes I was wondering what those metal clips were on the new pads. I didn't install them because they looked like shipping protectors or something. Pulling out of the garage, the brake pedal goes straight to the floor, I pump and pump and pump, but I kept rolling. Thank God for drum brakes.....
Horrible mechanic failures?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

It's basically GM's own oil specification. It's not much different from current SAE oil standards.

There's a shocking amount of oils that meet the spec, even store brand oils such as AutoZone (a large parts store chain in the US). I've always run Mobil 1 for the past few years anyway, and my car predates dexos by a year or two, but the same engine was eventually required to use dexos 1. Looking at the list, it's nice to see that the Mobil 1 High Mileage version is now included (I switched to the high mileage version at my last oil change, since my car is coming up on 10 years old by build date, starting to show some seepage, and close to 110k miles).

GM can try and deny engine-related warranty claims if you can't prove you used dexos oil on every oil change. I think that's a big part of their move to "you have to use dexos certified oil", along with the money that's required to pay to put a dexos label on your oil product.

1 is for petrol, 2 is for diesel.

That's sheisty as gently caress. Is there anything at all redeemable about GM? Everything I hear, see, and physically work with says that GM should be avoided like the plague
I get that Chrysler and Ford aren't exactly superstars either, but at least they aren't actively malicious. Well, usually aren't

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It doesn't even need to be that cold for STIs to do this. Usually below only about -20°C is enough.

5-speed Imprezas and WRXes definitely feel it but not to the extent of stalling out.

Jeeze, it was 4°C colder than that here last week and even though shifting was really clunky and felt awful, my Honda started and drove just fine in -11°F. What the hell do they put in their transmission that's so thick?

I don't know if this counts as a mechanical failure since it's electrical, but Ford decided to have the wiring on their focus hatchbacks make a weird twist at the hatch joint so that it rubs and eventually destroys itself as you use the trunk

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Buy an old garage with the pit in the floor for car maintenance, put in a regular old lawn sprinkler, a fan, a way for the water to drain and there you go. Salt stops eating your car

Of course they're banned in most places because people asphyxiated on the heavier gasses that would accumulate down there, but as long as you can keep it ventilated, you should be fine

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 23, 2015

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

rscott posted:

why use a laser when you can use a radio controlled actuator to open the valve and have it remote controlled? That way something besides your car breaking the beam doesn't turn it on.

Maybe it's funnier the other way though

You guys are all dumb. Wire it to start spraying when the garage door opener gets the radio signal as a simple on/off, it's easier that way and eliminates the chance that you'll accidentally spray yourself

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

FuzzKill posted:

Most of the alloy arms on the fancy 'European' vehicles have non-serviceable ball joints anyway - so the entire arm has to be replaced when the ball joint goes bad. Which is probably approximately the same time frame for major rust to build up on a steel arm (if you live up North)

Its qualitylongevity is probably similar to other cars in the price zone. However, without all of the information we have in this thread, in the article you would still see the puny arms, lovely welds, and rust trappers. It's not a great advertisement, even if I kind of like the car's styling

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Fire Storm posted:

HEY NOW, what's wrong with using a F750 SUV for day to day travel!?! (At least it's not a semi-SUV?)

You may joke, but there's a legit market for this stuff https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F650_Pickups

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

NOT A PICTURE OF A HORRIBLE MECHANICAL FAILURE

Horrible mechanical failure in the making:

Actual mechanical failure:

Call me crazy, but I love that Polaris' look, it's like a Morgan trike and the SSV Normandy had a baby. Shame they're $20k and apparently super unsafe

E:
+

=
:wink:

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 5, 2015

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

https://youtu.be/OX-IdbKnaUM

Customer reports strange sound coming from front wheel. Requests brake pads be changed

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

14 INCH SLIT posted:

It's the new subaru lifetime oil change service interval

it lasted the life of the engine

I don't get it...

Also, does subaru make all of their transmissions out of glass or are they supposed to fail around 60k miles?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

MrChips posted:

All of a sudden, I feel slightly less bad about my Goddamned Cooling System. At least everything's easy to get at :v:

Seriously, I was cursing the tiny hands of the asian engineer who designed my cooling system, but god drat am I happy that it's all rubber and metal

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Enourmo posted:

I'm pretty sure chlorine trifluoride will oxidize oxygen itself.

E: In the sense of stealing electrons, not "adding oxygen".

John Drury Clark, the guy who literally wrote the book on liquid rocket fuel posted:

It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water — with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals — steel, copper, aluminum, etc. — because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminum keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.

:catbert:

Apparently it will actively burn sand, CO2, water, and Halon, so there is no known way to suppress a ClF3 fire

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

My sister bought a 7th gen civic and wanted me to check out why it felt so heavy in turns

Huh, I guess the sway bar linkage is broken, let's check the other side

That's weird..

Oh, that explains the wear pattern on the tires, I guess

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

My buddy's early 00's A4 keeps eating cats; it plugged two and the most recent one had holes in it. He just keeps replacing the drat things and refuses to look at his turbos or his exhaust system any higher up than the catalytic converter. I guess it's technically saving money in the short term, but one of these days I'm waiting to hear complaints about his car sounding like a dentist drill

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

You say that like I would want to be in an RV in the first place. When I'm on the road for more than 150 miles, I want it to be just the way it was when I was doing family road trips as a child; cramped, uncomfortable, and with as few breaks as humanly possible

Also, how do you gently caress up power locks? They've been around for as long as 3 point seatbelts... which also got hosed up. Go Mercedes!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Wait, just get rid of the like 20% of oxygen out of the air on one side of the wheel? That seems like a whole lot of effort for not a lot of benefit

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Maybe like long haul truckers would benefit, but that sounds entirely pointless for almost every other vehicle I can think of. Unless getting pure nitrogen is as simple as turning on a compressor, then emergency service and some commercial vehicles could benefit too, but yeahhhhhhh

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Elephanthead posted:

I fill my tires with hydrogen so they are lighter and I go faster, (for a little ways anyway).

That's funny, I used radon a few weeks ago, so that my tires would glow in the dark, but now they're just solid polonium. In an unrelated note, my car is now on fire and my bones hurt

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I think the operating temperature of tires on the road would be high enough to be legit dangerous with hydrogen, but not too much worse than magnesium rims without a direct source of oxygen or other oxidizing agent.

Actually, speaking of alloys, I'm pretty sure that steel becomes incredibly brittle when exposed to hydrogen

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Hydrogen permeates through vulcanised rubber five times as fast as air, and probably at a greater ratio between the tyre and the rim.

Even if you top the tyres up religiously, you’re still going to lose more performance to underinflation than you’ll gain from decreased mass.

And through steel, aluminum, and even titanium. I was remembering AP Chem correctly after all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_embrittlement posted:

During hydrogen embrittlement, hydrogen is introduced to the surface of a metal and individual hydrogen atoms diffuse through the metal. Because the solubility of hydrogen increases at higher temperatures, raising the temperature can increase the diffusion of hydrogen. When assisted by a concentration gradient where there is significantly more hydrogen outside the metal than inside, hydrogen diffusion can occur even at lower temperatures. These individual hydrogen atoms within the metal gradually recombine to form hydrogen molecules, creating pressure from within the metal. This pressure can increase to levels where the metal has reduced ductility, toughness, and tensile strength, up to the point where it cracks open (hydrogen-induced cracking, or HIC). Though hydrogen atoms embrittle a variety of substances, including steel, aluminium(at high temperatures only), and titanium, hydrogen embrittlement of high-strength steel is of the most importance

I'm pretty confident in saying that helium would be similar in its ability to permeate everything. I know MRI machines have had problems with their liquid helium escaping through the metal it's sealed in.

Speaking of MRI's and spectacular failure, back when I worked in a hospital, we had a guy bring a steel oxygen tank on a cart into the MRI room. It flew 15 feet into the machine and caused $1.3m in damages and lost revenue because he didn't know what all of the giant, red signs and flashing lights meant

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Captain Postal posted:

Since we're talking horrible mechanical failures at Oxygen vs. Nitrogen (compounds)

tldr; BOC Gas installed gas lines at a hospital. Mixed up O2 and N2O lines in the neonatal care unit. One new-born baby dead, another is a vegetable.

No one checked before turning them on? Jesus, we had to double check that we hooked the right syrup up to the soda machine

Although, the article seems to imply that it was tested, which just makes it more awful...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Once, for the PYF Dangerous Chemicals thread, I did the calculations for the power emitted by a 2‐litre bottle filled with radon.

Your car would be heated by something on the order of one million watts.

I was just thinking about polonium's obnoxious radiation emissions, that scary RadonTM fad when it was discovered, and the fact that even the most stable form of radon has a half-life of ~4 days, but I suppose just plain old radon would still put out enough energy to melt the car to the pavement...

Polonium though, polonium is insane. It was used to keep Soviet computers from freezing up in the vacuum of space because of every gram of it produces more than 100 watts and undisturbed polonium will reach temperatueres close to 1000 degrees if there's more than half a gram present. I had always thought that alpha radiation was generally pretty harmless to humans because light clothing and having skin will stop it from damaging your DNA, but polonium produces enough heat during decomposition to melt it and allow it to diffuse through latex gloves, through the skin, and into soft, unshielded tissues, where it is a massive loving problem. For whatever reason, being in people accelerates its rate of decomposition and it takes less than 1 tenth of a microgram entering the bloodstream to be lethal. I was going to ask why it never really got used for anything noteworthy, but I answered my own question.

E:

Geirskogul posted:

How good is a water trap or water draining on an air compressor?

Does compressing the air into a 120psi tank condense the water out of the air? And, if so, does draining the tank water then give you drier air?

Honest question. Of course, like it matters when I'm using Phoenix air :v:

In theory, they're great, 120psi should make water become a liquid inside of the compressor and then removing the condensed liquid shouldn't be too difficult, but gasses were never my strong suit, so I'm not completely sure. If looked up the triple point chart and did some algebra, I could give a less half assed answer, but it's 2am so :effort:

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 26, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

On deployment some guys were doing a braze job in the O2N2 plant space

iwentdoodie posted:

fire in the O2N2 plant

:confused:

http://www.militarynews.com/norfolk-navy-flagship/news/quarterdeck/a-bunch-of-air-heads-o-n-plant/article_926b26fa-763a-5855-9a52-f642c1dd84f4.html posted:

The O2N2 plant operators use a machine, called a producer unit, to produce liquid oxygen (LOX) and liquid nitrogen (LIN) from ambient air... the Oxygen Nitrogen (O2N2) plants on board the Navy’s forward-deployed aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76), to provide O2 and N2 services for her more than 5,000 Sailors and 70 aircraft of the embarked Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 5.

:stonk:

Provided that it happened on an American ship, according to wikipedia, there's a 50% chance that this was on a ship with enough fissile material to run for 20 consecutive years, plus all of the fuel for all of the aircraft; and a 50% chance that it was on a ship with the aforementioned aircraft fuel, plus fuel for its massive gas powered turbines. I don't know which scenario is scarier

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

PhotoKirk posted:

American or European?

Did he say pitch?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

No. 6 posted:

Yes, Jesus or an angel obviously saved you buddy. :allears:

quote:

On April 30, 2016 I was running a track event in my 2016 GT350 Mustang at Roebling Road. Being my second track event in the car I was slowly gaining confidence in the car and more especially myself..... I had been on the track about 15 minutes of the last session when I experienced a catastrophic engine component failure. This caused a massive oil leak. The oil ignited on the exhaust. If this wasn’t bad enough, the oil fire caused the main fuel line to rupture. At this point, the bottom of the car was fully engulfed. The fireball was two lanes wide and trailed behind the car at least 25’.

His car is practically fresh off of the factory floor and is only the second time on the track ever. 15 continuous minutes of hard driving ignites his fuel lines and he's not immediately saying "lawsuit". He's not even wondering why a new car, advertised on speed and power, catastrophically fails when using that power. Nope, he's buying a newer one, presumably to also drive at the track

He had an angel in that car with him alright. It was the angel of death, come to see that he dies for his stupidity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

go3 posted:

you are aware that things occasionally fail

I am well aware that things break, but when "engine component broke, started oil fire, started gas fire", but the car didn't lose power, his dash didn't light up, and his aggressive ECU didn't do anything about the temperature in the engine bay or the massive drop in oil pressure? Those Mustangs are so poor at heat management, that the car has protocols built in to cut your ability to overheat the car, but his car had a fire inside of the engine bay and was still able to accelerate. There's something very wrong with that picture, and there's 2 scenarios I can see. #1 is a catastrophic failure in the car's internal safety systems eventually blowing up his engine, #2 is him loving with the ECU and the car blowing up because it couldn't stop him from overtaxing the engine.

Either way, if my new $70,000 performance car died on its second track day, fire or no fire, I'm running back to that dealership, pissed as hell.

E: And this is why you refresh before posting

Phanatic posted:

Doesn't sound like he's *buying* a newer one, it sounds like the dealership has in mind exactly what you're saying and is throwing a newer one at him.

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 2, 2016