Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

jamal posted:

how not to jump start a car:

What. The. gently caress.

How does that even happen? How do people like that not stab themselves with their shoelaces in the morning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Previa_fun posted:

Kind of like a turbocharger failure but on a bigger scale:

Google find. I think that's a JT9D that chewed something up.

I had an APU come back from overhaul, and get installed with a 1st stage that looked like that. Day shift couldn't figure out why it kept shutting down and BITing overtemp during the ops check, till I stuck a borescope down the intake. It looked like someone had fed it rocks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PatrickBateman posted:

hmmm.... was this at NWA in 2005 right before the strike? we had one like that....

No, Gemini Air Cargo, ~2007.

Phanatic posted:

That's kind of terrifying. This is what our APUs fail like:

:stare:

Phanatic posted:

Aside from the body of the APU itself, no, not really.

Theres your problem. It's not covered in oil and hydrualic fluid. They run better on an air/fuel/oil/skydrol mix.

"Gemini 515, returning to the gate, smoke in the cockpit."

:rolleyes:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Root Bear posted:

Some people just... :cripes:

I cant tell if that's a failed weld, JB Weld, or dental amalgam.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

TotalLossBrain posted:

Real edit: Have some turbine generator failures.

Was that some kind of military strike, or a dynamic failure?

Either way; AWESOME.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Devyl posted:

You're funny. Try aircraft carrier arresting gear.

My dad was (un)lucky enough to watch a guy get his leg taken clean off after one snapped during a plane landing. That wire can and will maim, destroy, and kill anything in its' path when it snaps.

Not to mention that the incredibly valuable aircraft full of people and explosives that snapped it is now most likely too slow to go around, and is now pointed at the water.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR posted:

'Rolling Coal' is a death sentence for an engine.

It's a death sentence for the owners chances to ever touch a woman who still has all her teeth, as well.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

They tried to reject the takeoff well past V1, and overran the end of the runway. Everyone walked away, luckily.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Previa_fun posted:

The IIHS small overlap crash test is loving brutal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSYLE55iYj0

Jesus, still almost no deformation of the passenger compartment. I'd buy that engineering team a round of beers.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Measly Twerp posted:

That's what you get when a semi pulls onto the road going much slower than traffic.

If you've left yourself zero room to either change lanes, or enough space to get slowed down, then you're loving doing it wrong.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PainterofCrap posted:

I'm afraid that's steel belt weave.

Nothing says pain like changing a tire with a shifted belt worn through to the weave without very heavy gloves on...you wind up with a tire attached to your palms.

The best way to inspect control cables/wire rope is to have an apprentice run a rag down the length of the cable. When he screams, and blood comes out, that cable fails inspection.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sofullofhate posted:

Fixed that for you.

I miss my Legacy GT. As a BMW owner (:smuggo:) I never thought I'd say that, but I really do. gently caress characterless execubarges.

You think BMWs are characterless? Try a Mercedes. :colbert:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Shai-Hulud posted:

Not a horrible mechanical failure yet but yeah:

Not sure that's how a four month old turbo supposed to look like :/

Also...I don't really know anything about turbos...there was some oil in there. Not much, just a bit...is there supposed to be oil in there?

The lovely home-depot pipe clamp holding the turbo discharge pipe on the housing is an indicator that the owner probably doesn't know a great deal, either.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Previa_fun posted:

The best part is when he still counter steers. :v:

...He drove the wheels off it...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BlackMK4 posted:

I know how it all goes money wise, but I still can't ever imagine loving with an engine that costs so much to rebuild. I'll stick to my lovely little bike engines where I can get a used motor with 10k on it for $1500.

I'd rather rebuild the engine than the transmission. I don't think a Saturn V costs as much as a GTR transmission.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

D C posted:

What a hack.

Imagine how many idiot customers he has that don't know the difference between good work and bad... I'd wager a couple bucks that they outnumber the ones who do.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

opengl128 posted:

loving hell :( Can't you call the cops for endangering a child like that?

...To say nothing of endangering EVERY OTHER PERSON ON THE ROAD NEAR THAT loving ABORTION.

People and their lack of mechanical understanding annoy me.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Thats actually kind of impressive.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

stump posted:

Mechanical Failures in the Making: A British Leyland quality control video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRyN4XhJ_ms
TLDR: Our cars are literately murderers.

I like that they didn't just pick an incident with a pedestrian, they picked one with a pedestrian, AND a smashed infant.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Opensourcepirate posted:

On the unintended acceleration front - most of the cars that were 'experiencing' it were Toyotas. It's easy to just blame that on the fact that Toyota has marketed their cars specifically to the people that don't want to have know anything about cars to keep theirs on the road. I think it has a lot to do with the throttle response on their new cars though. My parents have an 08 (or something like that) Corolla, and every time I drive it for the first time in a while I start almost peeling out every time I accelerate. The first 20% of the pedal movement has to account for at least 50% of the actual power available.

My parents think the car feels 'sporty,' and it does kind of. Only pushing the pedal a little bit and having the car lunge forward is a sporty feeling. It goes away for me when I realize that the second half of the pedal travel barely adds any additional power. I'm assuming that Toyota designed it that way specifically so it would feel sporty. It honestly feels unsafe to me though; if you were accidentally hitting the gas instead of the brake, you would be effectively almost flooring the car instantly just based on the expected amount of resistance / pedal travel from the brakes.

Almost everything for the base consumer is like this now, Toyota or not. When people unfamiliar with actually kinda-quick cars drive my GTO for the first time, their first comment is always, "It feels so slow, why doesn't this peda- OH MY GOD," because the throttle is so much more linear than is standard in new cars.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So... What's it for?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Raluek posted:

While I don't have any pictures, I just witnessed a very strange mechanic(al) failure. I'm waiting to turn left, and I see a late second gen Camaro ahead of me lose a wheel. So I go straight through the intersection instead of turning, and ask the driver (wearing a three piece suit without the jacket) if he needs a hand. He frowns and says "Lemme think about that" as he pulls his wheel out of the ditch. Then he gets back into the car and fuckin' floors it down the road, dragging the right front brake disk. So there I am, about to offer him a jack, standing in his cloud of dust, next to his wheel (which he left in the road). I drive home via the road he took and never saw him again, what a strange fellow. I guess he was late for whatever he was going to? But he didn't even throw his wheel in the trunk. :psyduck:

Who the hell drives a plastic fantastic camaro and wears a three piece suit?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Devyl posted:

2nd gens were not plastic, mister :mad:

:colbert:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Astroman posted:

This looks like an open wound with visible viscera. :gonk:

My first thought was "What the hell was living inside that engine!?"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The natural gas combined cycle combustion turbines at the power plant my father works at have actively cooled turbine blades and stators. Basically, each blade/stator has tiny air bleeds in the leading edges, fed with compressor bleed air, which forms a boundary layer on the blade, allowing higher turbine inlet temps, without making things all melty.

I'm not sure, but I dont believe there are any aviation engines that do this, since at those scales, the bleeds would have to be impractically small.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

helno posted:

It is pretty common actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7upnkrhqRWQ

EDM drilling can make pretty tiny holes very deep in hard materials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5WZqYl_aZ8

To be fair, all the aviation turbines I've seen disassembled were 35+ year old designs. :smith:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kastein posted:

haha, you think ANYONE actually changes their differential oil except rednecks with offroad trucks and car enthusiasts with track cars.

You're probably still doing better than about 75% of people who have differential oil to change.

I change mine every 36k miles. :smuggo:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Where the gently caress was this when I was looking for an avatar?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

"That's not so bad, I wonder why this is in mechanical disasters..."

:catstare:
"... Oh."

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

EightBit posted:

Probably not, welding onto cast metal is usually a bitch, and that area would probably just break again without careful heat treatment.

This. The only way I could see it being attempted is if the block is something rare, like a side-oiler FE, an original-to-a-specific-chassis engine for a restoration, or something.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Is that engine full of marshmallows?!

It looks delicious. Just need to find a K-car so we can make some marshmallow milkshakes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Was that just fatigue , or was there a projectile? If so, what was it?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Brain Issues posted:

Engines don't normally have water shooting out of cylinders do they??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwiI7YAwPTM

Why is it only one cylinder?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR posted:

Just don't huff it and don't bathe in it and you'll be fine. Its all about exposure limits.

Well, there goes MY weekend plans...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Geirskogul posted:

Bitch you've never worked in Arizona

Or Florida. Garages here are generally unbearable to work in, even with ventilation.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This was me last night:

I plugged it in in a combination of panic over a dim oil pressure warning light and pragmatism in wanting the 2" thick sheet of frozen rain to melt off the underside of the car so I could find the front subframe jacking point.

Don't ask about the q-tips.

Why is your car covered in cocaine?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Endless Mike posted:

That was the AT&T iPhone 4, not the 4s. (The later Verizon iPhone 4 had fixed it, as well.)

When I got my 4, (on release day) I tried HARD to replicate the antenna-gate problems, and really couldn't. The only way I could come close was to death grip the entire surround of the phone with my forefingers and thumbs of both hands, and even then, I would still have (degraded) reception.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

anonumos posted:

My high school class took a trip to the Keys. While driving on one of those narrow as gently caress 2 lane roads, a pygmy deer decided to dive bomb one of the charter bus' tires. Funniest thing I'd ever seen (it bounced off the hubcap and ran off in a daze, thankfully).

Key Deer (not pygmy deer) are endangered.

Cute little buggers, too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ironblock posted:

Sounds like we know why. :v:

Much like white tails, they're loving dumb. :downs:

(Combined with their natural range being minuscule.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

thylacine posted:

Just sharing this from the D&D picture thread. I think there's still something fuzzy left down at the bottom.

Imagine being a passenger at the next station when gore-train pulls up...