Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Measly Twerp posted:

I've always wanted to build down, instead of build up. Just somewhere other than Coober Pedy.

In regards to building down, is there a spider table in Australia, like there's a water table here in South Florida

I would just imagine that any hole you dug would immediately fill with venomous local fauna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR posted:

"Our RAID Array just failed....yes we were aware that there were some failed drives...no we didn't replace them and rebuild the array. Backups? What backups?"

It should be legal to punch that person in the mouth, and then leave a steamer on their desk before you leave.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Is that to make sure you're trapped inside when it catches fire? I've never seen an external roll cage, before...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Being an interior mechanic is basically either for guys fresh out of school, or a punishment for sleeping with the station managers wife.

I am forever glad I worked for a cargo airline.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tide posted:

In no way a failure:

This is awesome.

That's a goddamned spectacular idea. Also an excellent litmus test for womenfolk you bring home.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cakefool posted:

Any goons here that work in aircraft maintenance? I attended a little talk at work a couple of weeks ago that talked about how the designers took "maintenance" and "what is humanly possible" and no part exists in isolation" into account when designing systems, fastenings, plumbing, routing etc. It was all very interesting & they showed some cad walkthroughs of an engine mounted on a wing, maintenance doors opening, human arm and recommended tool comes into view, bolts & brackets get removed, parts come out & in again.

Basically is that how it is in real life?

Captain Postal posted:

See if you can find the 777 anti collision light example. The 777 was designed from scratch on CAD and they did include a little human figure to see where arms can reach and what can be accessed with what range of motion and what physical strength and so on. They still managed to build the dorsal (or maybe tail) strobe light so the bulb could only be access from inside the dome but outside the pressure hull - so you'd better hope the thing lasts 20-odd years because there is literally no way of accessing it. I think there was something similar with the 787. The system exists but it isn't fool-proof.

(They ended up doing an absurdly expensive retrofit to access it, but after the production line was in full swing)

I used to be a line mechanic, and I can confirm that it is light years better on newer airframes than on older ones. That said, there's always Douglas products. :suicide:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Splizwarf posted:

It's only the dogs (and deer and other wildlife) that you have to worry about. Cats don't give a gently caress about it because they have literally zero taste or smell receptors for "sweet".

My girlfriend's cat showing up begging every time one of us has ice cream, pie, cake, candy, etc, would like to call bullshit on this.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Terrible Robot posted:

Pro mechanics use all their senses, including taste, to identify leaks.

Except for gear oil, never taste gear oil.

What has been tasted... Cannot be untasted.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

How the hell did he get to fifteen minutes banging off the limiter without someone coming over and shoving his teeth down his neck?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

InitialDave posted:

He's in a retail park with a lovely Focus with quad headlights. Everyone around him would be part of what can cautiously be called his peer group.

Anyone who's into cars should know that a car banging off the limiter isn't awesome, it's the sound of a machine being beaten by its owner, and that you need to step in and punch him in the mouth before he breaks it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Boat posted:

:psyduck: That's that gun that fires caseless ammunition, why is it full of clockwork?

The mag fed cartridges facing straight down, the breech had to rotate the cartridge 90 degrees, lock, seal the chamber, and then keep rotating to vent the chamber, and feed the next round, all at instantaneous rates of fire around 2000 rounds per minute...

It's basically the best :germany: gif ever conceived.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cakefool posted:

Please post this gif if you have it?

I've never seen an animated gif of the mechanism, but here's a pair of stills to help you picture it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PatrickBateman posted:

That reminds me of a problem we solved at work. On the CFM56-5A engine, there is a turbine clearance control valve, called the HPTCC. It bleeds air from the compressor to shrink the case around the turbine for efficiency.

Sadly, being buried on the case since it bleeds right off, you had these four bolts which heat soaked and cooled, so they were stuck in good, always had to use anti-seize to get em out. But you had no direct access to remove and install the bolts. Eventually we had an intern jig up a torque wrench extension and do all the calculations cause the CFM tool was too expensive.

located pretty much dead center in the middle, opposite side by its just as spaghetti there as it is here.

drat thing also had a gasket that would leak and set of engine fire warning. yay those were fun to deal with.

It's such a CUTE little engine.

I so, so wish I had pictures of me draining ten gallons of skydrol out of the oil scavenge pump feed line of a CF6... :suicide:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR posted:

How...how....gently caress :smithicide:

Each engine has two hydraulic pumps a primary, and a backup, and the garlock seals on the primary pump failed in a rather spectacular fashion, which let the pump dump the entire contents of the #3 hydraulic system into the engine main gearbox.

Kicker A: The flight crew saw the engine oil temp go up, but didn't want to declare an emergency or do the paperwork that a shutdown would have called for, so they just yanked it back to flight idle, and flew it another three hours home. :cripes:

Kicker B: GE technical services had us change the oil, run it for half an hour, change the oil again, and then test fly it, and signed it off, despite three hours of operation with hydraulic fluid for oil. :catstare:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

dietcokefiend posted:

What airline or plane type? I want to make sure I just drive cross country instead of hop in that thing.

Gemini Air Cargo, no longer in business. :v:

Note, the airline didn't sign it off, the engine manufacturer did.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

tactlessbastard posted:

Quit browsing the forums at family events you loving goon.

I was kinda wondering in what context you would have people watching you browse a forum...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That's either a fancy kitchen drawer knob, or the worlds teensiest weensiest little failed compressor wheel.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Slavvy posted:

I love how the MDPS ecu is on the rack under the engine.

There is a special place in hell for that engineering team.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cursedshitbox posted:

Oh yeah, 90s LT1 distributors mounted under the god drat water pump
E: ^Optispark II

But at least Optisparks had a breather hole, so if when it got coolant in it, it could vent out clog up, and essentially make a tiny coolant sauna for the delicate optical rotor.

They got slightly better when they went to an engine-vacuum connected vent in '95, but the best thing to do with an gen II at this point is to replace it with a gen III/IV, anyway...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Id say that the only thing that got greased was the checklist.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It's not broken, it's just excited.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

tentative8e8op posted:

I cant imagine what would cause the truck's wheels to suddenly escape.

Wheels, hell. That's the whole godamned axle.

See also; American Graffiti.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So your AC compressor seized but the clutch is fine? Well...

Was fine.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, if you're out walking here and it's below -10 you can A. hear Fords approaching from a mile away because their power steering is howling and B. hear any car that's over 5 years old because the belt is making the sound of a baby seal getting stabbed in the eye.

Ford power steering pump whine is the first car noise that car guys learn to identify. It's like a babies bottle.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

TotalLossBrain posted:

edit: The Mk VIII had a busted air compressor for the shocks.

I thought they came from the factory dragging their rear end on the pavement.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wisconsin?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Alabama doesn't have CIWS and Tomahawk ABLs. That's an Iowa.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Throatwarbler posted:

"Stolen Viper found in parking lot stripped"

No doubt to feed the burgeoning market for fiberglass fenders and bumpers. :saddowns:

The thieves didn't strip it. The thieves did half the work of turning it into an AWESOME go-kart.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BoostCreep posted:

The last time I tried taking Craftsman tools back for replacement I got a remanufactured socket wrench that broke a week later and they wouldn't replace my screw drivers because they were "clearly used for things other than just turning screws".

That was 9 years ago and I haven't touched Craftsman since. Maybe they've changed their policies since then?

I used to have an older 1/4 drive ratchet that was amazing. It had a very fine ratcheting action, and I couldn't break it if I tried. I'd put some of the older Craftsman stuff up against SnapOn any day.

When it grew legs out on the ramp one night, I replaced it with a new Craftsman. What a piece of poo poo. It had like eight clicks for 360 degrees, and it broke the third time I used it.

craftsmancomplaints.txt

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kastein posted:

I've used them... don't know that I'd spend money on them, but they can be nice. Especially if the bolts aren't rusty.

When stuff is rusted so bad that a 9/16" fits where a 5/8" was supposed to, they don't grip so well.

Stop parking your poo poo in the ocean, seriously.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

tater_salad posted:

I can't believe the drat things ran for 10k hrs and 8 years on original fluid.. that's really drat good.

Exactly. Not surprised they died, but poo poo, I bet they're buying Cats again. :catstare:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I like walking up to an unfamiliar compressor with a pressurized tank, hitting the bleed valve, and getting not just a solid stream of water, but a solid stream of RUSTY water.

It inspires confidence.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

NOS (Nitrous Oxide Systems) is a company (now owned by Holley) that specializes in nitrous oxide injection parts and systems.

N2O is nitrous oxide, the gas that is injected by a nitrous system.

You cannot inject a company into an engine. Please help me make the ringing in my head stop. :spergin:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

quote:

Friction welding chat

My favorite video, possibly on the entire internet. (Which says terrible things about me...)

http://youtu.be/5JbnDXw-0pM

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:jebstare:

He must've been picking cotton out of his rectum for weeks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:catstare:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrChips posted:

Impulse magneto :eng101:

Oh God that reminds me of a stupid game we played when I was getting my private pilot license in the Air Cadets. The flying school we used had a cutaway Lycoming O-320 (the same engine as in most Cessna 172s) that had a live magneto attached to it. So being a bunch of stupid teenagers we'd get four guys to grab an ignition wire and a fifth to hand-crank the engine until someone had received enough shocks that they cried uncle or dropped their wire.

This is why you don't let pilots in the hangar...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I think I just heard kastein's head explode.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jesus loving poo poo 4:27. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kastein posted:

Protip: do not rearend vehicles outweighing you by an order of magnitude if you want to live.

(I'm trying to muster a give a drat, but I'm fresh out. 35mph into something the size of a billboard means you probably shouldn't have been on the road and would have hit something smaller and more vulnerable otherwise.)

Exactly right, I just had no idea they actually did crash tests of that kind of impact. :v:

Related: One of my girlfriend's coworkers rear-ended a school bus this morning. (Everyone is ok.) Frustratingly, my girlfriend not only failed to get pictures, but she didn't mercilessly ridicule the person in question for the entire day.