Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My diff pin blew through the case back in may, apparently it's an extremely uncommon thing that happens (IE the cobalt ss, ion redline, and 9-3 aero dudes had never seen it before on our transmissions)

spider gears trapped the half shaft in the diff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

Not dumping the clutch will go a long way toward preventing this.

I didn't though, the diff had been feeling really loose and it was hard to drive, I was going to take it apart when I got back from school. I pulled out of a gas station and was only at around 2500-3000rpm when it exploded all over the centre lane. I had bought it used so I assume the idiot that had it before me was either too lazy to fix it or that's why he sold it for as cheap as he did.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Typically you're supposed to disconnect the power supply when working with the airbags just in case one decided to try to break you in half.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

grover posted:

Little duct tape'll fix that!

Actually, I wonder how long a duct tape repair would last?

I believe the oil eats the sticky residue so combined with operating temperatures and the oil making it not sticky I would guess not very long

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Reminds me of this article on Jalopnik recently where the writer patched it with jb weld (magic stuff) and permatex. Sounds like the jb weld just slowed down the oil contamination though and he ended up just permatexing around it.

http://jalopnik.com/5935258/the-super-hacky-oil-pan-emergency-repair-fix

Some guy in the comments used a wax crayon to slow down the contamination enough to jb weld it.

It could work actually, both are "greasy" substances and could repulse each other until there's enough oil buildup.

That's actually pretty freakin brilliant.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I prefer metric for fine measuring, but imperial for long distance (mostly because the roads here in Detroit are on a grid with mile roads). I wish that inches were shown as decimals instead of fractions so it wouldn't take half a second longer to figure out what socket size is next.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sockington posted:

Somebody stole his wheels and broke the lug with the wheel lock on it.

Wow, you should go for Detective. I wouldn't have thought of that :psyduck:

Now the real questin is, did someone try to steal his, or did he steal them?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I would imagine that a Fisker kills way more trees when they blow up than a normal car :v:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

After reading the head gasket torque discussion I will be going home and double checking my bolts. :ohdear:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Because it caused the accident? Because it wasn't in any accident?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I do believe we have a new definition of "rape".

:aaaaa:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Goober Peas posted:

Excerpts on Elise ownership from Grassroots' forum:

"There just seem to be too many drawbacks to daily driving one. Bumped in parking lot? Car is totaled. Run over a speed bump too fast? Car is totaled. Scrape too hard on driveway? Car is totaled. Run over a board? Car is totaled. Hit a possum or roadkill? Car is totaled.

It's awesome in theory, but the reality is that you have to have the right kind of driveway, the right kind of neighborhood, you have to scope out parking lots and make sure you can enter and exit without messing up your car, and you HAVE to use heart healthy parking. God help you if it's a small parking lot."

"Very good points, rotard. I'm not sure people realize how easy it is to damage a clamshell beyond (reasonable) repair, and how breathtakingly expensive they are to replace. For that reason alone, I would never daily drive one... and it is a big factor in why I don't own one right now.

FYI folks, rotard is almost not exaggerating. While a busted clamshell on its own won't total the car, you're looking at $5k+ just in paint and parts, never mind the labor, for something as simple as a parking lot bump. If anything underneath it gets damaged... look out.

EDIT: Yes, full coverage is a must. However, I can't imagine your insurance company hanging onto you after more than one pricey repair."

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/quickly-school-me-in-lotus-elises-2005/42507/page1/
I don't remember them ever being this expensive in the UK... Can a Brit chime in to confirm? :ohdear:

Not that it matters for me anymore.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I've only ever heard them called valve covers. In the Michigan/Canada, the UK, and Australia anyways. I've never heard of rocker covers before :v:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cakefool posted:

Funny, to me rocker covers are the plastic covers for the sills at the side of the car. Comes from working for a Japanese company that learned all its car words from America I suppose.
Now that you said it, this sounds familiar.

Okay, my 2006 may not be completely "modern" today, but GM is still using the same engine family in plenty of other cars.

The valve cover is definitely metal, though it has a gigantic sheet of plastic covering said metal valve cover.

Yeup, the LSJ has a weird high-heat paint on it though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Wasn't there a time when you matched the colours opposite to each other or something? My dad has done that too, and it looks like most of the people who have done it are older :shrug:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Somewhere in Florida, ultimateforce is weeping.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I can just imagine the manager of the plant hopping on the internet and going to the elite Nuclear Powerplant manager's forums asking for advice but not giving all of the info so he hears what he wants to hear.

TampaNukeMGMT posted:

Hey all, so I need to replace my steam generators, however to do this, the contractor quoted me a price of $15 million - just to cut a measly 25x27ft hole in the wall to get the old out and the new in. How bad of an idea is it to DIY this and save us $15 million?

OhioNukeMGMT posted:

Well it depends, is the cement reinforced? Will the building be able to support the weight of the dome? If the structure is sound then I'm sure that you could do it just fine, free of worry, and be able to enjoy the great bonus cheque you'll get from your boss for saving your company that much money!

GeigerPowerGood posted:

Yup, just make sure everything is up to spec and that it won't crumble or self destruct once you cut that much cement away.

TampaNukeMGMT posted:

Thanks for the advice guys! Let's see how this goes! I can't wait for my bonus :)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It looks like they took the bumper/grille/engine/trans out and set the oven in the hollow because they're taking it all to the scrapyard dude.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I don't know why this turned out blue, might be because it was kind of dark, but I saw this cruising down the road this morning. She could barely keep it going straight and looked like she was strong-arming it the entire time.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bovril Delight posted:

Dog tracking like a mother

That was the best shot I could get of it without crashing into oncoming traffic, I was trying to get a shot of it when you could see the entire front tyre going straight while the rear wheels were at least 45* to the right of them.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

That's what he meant by "dog tracking" :downs:

Oh, I know, I was just saying it was much worse than even that :shobon:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Many, many compact cars. Such as the Chevy Cobalt and Saturn Ion.

:fuckoff:

You should buy some Powergrid Endlinks next time you need them changed out. They're on the expensive side, but you'll never have to replace them again and they can be found for cheaper on OTTP sometimes.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 5, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Welcome to Georgia, where people fill every gap as soon as it is opened, ride three feet off your rear bumper at 80mph, and form a solid wall of cars in every lane.

This seems to be the case in the entire country, or at least where I've been here.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm going to guess either water some kind of additive is to blame on that one.

Maybe an electrical reaction to something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BoostCreep posted:

Good thing I pulled the new alternator out of the box to check it before walking out of the store. The entire casing was cocked and the pulley was jammed and unable to spin.