Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Buy a car with a Cartridge oil filter. Problem solved! :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

meatpimp posted:

at least horrible customer-screwing failures.

Amen to that. I bought a box of filters for 3.8 Gen Coupe for decently cheap (thank god bulk internet purchases!) and did the same for my VR6. If you are expecting it, it's pretty standard, but the first time I saw it it blew my loving mind. I think I still have the retarded sized socket (32mm?) rolling around in my toolbox.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Working on my Genesis Coupe has been amazing. 2011. Don't know how much can change in 8 years, but My car doesn't even look like a Hyundai.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

revmoo posted:

Yes it does.

Correction: It doesn't look like a "Korean Car." All the new Hyundai's are looking really nice, so depending on your opinion of what a Hyundai is supposed to look like it may or may not.

5 Years ago I would have never even considered purchasing a Korean car. Even after living in Seoul. The Gen Coupe just shattered all of my preconceived notions, and is an amazing car for the money (besides the lovely synchros.)

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

M104 3.2L Mercedes I6. Headgasket was replaced 2 years ago. headbolts had ~40-50ft-lb torque.

I love looking at this poo poo and going "WTF am I missing!?"

Seriously. The head is gone? :downs:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Right. Did it fall off or something? What I'm saying is I don't see the failure.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Lugnuts on most Army trucks. Thank CHRIST most of them were labeled with "R" if they were reverse. That and split rims with run flats. Changing a Tire was a half a day affair it seemed. :suicide:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

GAA is your friend when doing run flats. That, ratchet straps, and tanker bars. Don't let your E-5 gently caress you over and make you do it the hard way "cause we had to learn."

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Also, LeMons. Spending money defeats the purpose. Lawnmower plugs it is! :haw:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I don't think I've ever owned a car with a plastic manifold. Maybe I'm just weird, or Hyundai is retarded, by my GenCoupe mani is still metal :confused:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Slavvy posted:

This is really surprising because every other iteration of the lambda v6 has a plastic manifold. Or is yours a theta 2 turbo?

Nope. 3.8.

Stock Photo:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

:catstare: I was staring at the video with my hands on my face waiting for the cable to snap and gently caress someone up. I did recovery in the Army, and although that's not a chain nor is the truck a couple of tons, when those things let go you can split someone in half. ...And the retards standing on the truck. I'm seriously amazed no one was loving killed. EVERYTHING about that video is terrible.

Edit: THERE IS A CHAIN

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Geoj posted:

Didn't the Mythbusters prove that while a cable snapping at high tension will leave a nasty bruise and potentially break some bones, it doesn't have the force necessary to split a body in half?

Can't confirm/deny, but safety was a huge deal when you are dealing with a 60,000 lb recover winch. The way the wrecker would squirm around even with the spades dug in was unsettling.

e: Mythbusters tested with a 30,000lb winch. The M88 Wrecker has an 70,000 lb winch, and if you put a snatch block on it can pull 140,000 lbs at 2:1. If that chain were to let go, that is A LOT of force.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 8, 2013

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Polymerized Cum posted:

That test is designed to be brutal. The dummy's left femur is definitely shattered if the left front wheel wrapped around that far, and the poorly designed head rest is begging for a cervical compression fracture.

If you want to see scary, look at the one for the Chevy Cruze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuUnBlbEYeQ

:stonk:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The entire known world is balancing his luck. EZ-Outs are designed to make your day worse.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Gators are those 6x6/4x4 quad tractor things that public parks use to haul drunks around in the back of.

Note handbrake. This is significant.

Best part of my old motorpool was drifting around in our 6x6 gators.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Delivery McGee posted:

The tire shop I use has a jar full of things they're pulled out of tires, including a pair of pliers, a wrench, an 8" piece of 3/8" threaded rod, a deer antler, and various bolts/screws/nails. The pliers are actually mounted in situ in their display of damaged tires as the FOD example (handle in through the tread and out the sidewall, in case you were wondering).

I wish I took a picture, but I got a flat tire on my GTi several years ago. A steak knife went handle first in the tread and out the inside sidewall. It was bonkers.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

No idea, but the tire place I took it too almost cut his finger off dismounting the tire. It was pretty narly, and I think they kept it out of wonder :D

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

No pictures, but Sunday I was driving down I-75 south back to Atlanta, and ricer after ricer was heading up I-75 north towards Chattanooga.

It was literally a parade of failed/damaged suspensions, Honda's burning oil, cars leaning at odd angles on a flat straight, and terrible rusted hoods and horrible paint jobs and neon plastidipped wheels. :psyduck:

What is wrong with people?

You saw the aftermath of Import Alliance. Ton's of fail, there. I only know because a few of my "hellaflush" friends went.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Cars and Coffee, if they hold one near you, is where the awesomeness is.

and last time I checked, they stopped the car shows at the Varsity in Atlanta because of a highspeed pursuit ending up there, with the suspect parking and trying to "blend in."

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I can't tell if he instantly starts sliding or if the Aero actually keeps the front end up.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

DefaultPeanut posted:

Do I win some sort of prize or a plague of broken extractors to come?

No finger, no prize.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Farking Bastage posted:

The MazdaSpeed 3's are apparently bad to break motor mounts.

An employee of mine bought a used Mazda 3, and that exact mount broke 3 days after she drove it home. Must be a hell of an engineering failure. :jebstare: (loving love KSP)

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Had a big meet up at the Tail of the Dragon this last weekend. A Turbo Veloster hit a rock or something in the road in the afternoon, heard a loud BANG, and then the familiar thump of a flat. They got the wheel off, and noticed a massive crack in the center of the barrel on the inside :stare: Turbo Velosters come with a can of fix-a-flat... not gonna help with this.

The tire had zero damage.

Edit: added another pic. VVVV the wheel was fine besides the massive fracture. They had to wait 5 hours for a spare that would fit, and drove all over Tenn. to get a replacement wheel that Sunday.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 9, 2013

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Bentley makes a superior manual... the only problem is that they are written for Technicians, not DIY'ers. They give the reader a lot of credit because they assume the reader is factory trained.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

How bad is a new tranny on one of those bitches?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

kastein posted:

It says hole in transmission and doesn't list which engine (V10 or Cummins?) so I'll withhold judgement.

Good Cummins? Maybe worth buying. Automatic and/or V10? Nope.

Isn't that the Cummins badge on the fender?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I wonder what hit it to only damage the fender, bumper, and mess up that strut so badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

namlosh posted:

Got a recommendation here? I’m mostly a splice and solder guy, but I can see where these might be useful

I think he means these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DPS8DPM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1