Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
eh, this is the only personal one I have, an alternator that didn't need all of its bearings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Psylocibe posted:

Guy takes a piston to the chest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB-YwpvoPRY

god drat that must have hurt like a bitch in the morning.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

You Am I posted:

Poor metallurgy back then. Metal strengths have changed over the years. These days you can have thin sheets of metal that has the strength of thicker sheets back in the 30s and 40s.

And yet we still haven't seen the return of straight-eights :mad:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
it's so much fun using a torch though :(

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I guess this goes here.

My brother called me yesterday, terrified. He was driving his car (a '98 Honda Accord) and was experiencing unintended acceleration. He was at a Lowe's and afraid to drive.

I head over there and start poking around. I noticed that the top of his air intake box was completely unlatched, but didn't think much of it. When I pulled the intake off, though, I found something lodged tight in the throttle body, preventing it from closing (it was stuck at about 75% throttle). I managed to free it and pull it out...

It was a radiator cap!

He had a local shop replace his radiator last week (it was leaking bad) and they apparently placed the old cap on top of his filter (why they had the box off, I don't know, they should have had plenty of room) and forgot about it. It got sucked up toward his engine and got jammed under the throttle plate. Scary stuff.

That very, very nearly could have caused an accident and a lawsuit or several. I'm calling the shop shortly to tell them about it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

PhotoKirk posted:

Holy poo poo. I have the same generation Accord. You don't have to pull the air box to replace the radiator.

I threw that picture on reddit too, and somebody mentioned that it's easier to replace the hoses if you take the filter box out. So they probably replaced the hoses.

Oh god I wonder where the old hoses are.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My sister-in-law saw this driving down the road over the weekend.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Half of my cars don't have a functional parking brake. I should probably get that remedied :v:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
A friend just posted these to Facebook. I guess this just happened to her minivan.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

My bad, I thought it was her minivan. I think it's their other vehicle. Ford Escape I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That reminds me of a video I once saw of a cow that got clipped by a train. Most of its head was missing but it was still alive and walking around.

Tell me, why did I have to go find this :gonk: