Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

iForge posted:

Numbnuts I'm working with broke a #6-32 HSS tap off in the flange of a 540 horsepower motor. I had to spend 30 mins getting it out.

Believe it or not, 6-32 is actually easier to break than a 5-40 tap. The thread/pitch ratio leads to greater stress risers. Whenever possible use a size up or size down.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I HEARD THIS THREAD LIKES BICYCLES. I also heard this thread enjoys screw extractors.

Bleed screw out of my brakes. Stupid thing used some torx pattern and I made the mistake of using a HF $3 sale driver for it. Stripped the screw and the torx driver!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If anything deserves it, it's the lovely torx I used.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Holy scrub radius, Batman!

bad ball joint rod end

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Most cars don't need hubcentric rings because of the conical lugs most cars have nowadays. Are there any production cars that still have flat seat lugs?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Space Gopher posted:

Uh, no.

With hub centric wheels and hubs, the hub itself is designed to support the road forces coming from the wheel; the lugs and lug nuts are just fasteners to keep the wheel from falling off the hub.

With lug centric wheels and hubs, the lug nuts are part of a bolted joint. As long as there's enough preload, you're fine - the lugs stay in tension and transmit shear forces to the hub. But, if a lug nut backs off or a lug stretches enough to lose correct preload, all of a sudden you're depending on a lug in shear to hold up your car and transmit road forces to your suspension - a job it was never designed or specced to do. And, there's the question of whether the whole system is set up to handle the necessary preload at all. Conical lug nuts don't do anything for you.

Using lug centric wheels on a hub centric hub without an adapter ring is a bit like using mild steel hardware in your suspension. Sure, it's cheaper than doing things right, and it'll probably work as long as nothing goes wrong - but the actual savings are tiny, and the risk is huge.

This is wrong.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It had to be the easiest thing in the world to bump start. Needs a set of pedals for that.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Memento posted:

It's just a huntsman.

Yea why would anyone be afraid of those? All fears are based on rational reasoning and understanding.

Not sure how the car isn't in fire yet.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Now I want someone to wire lock wheel lugs because of how rediculously :black101: it would look.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Geoj posted:

Here's a good demonstration of the effects of a pure oxygen environment on metal - steel wool is heated until glowing, then violently bursts into flame when exposed to 100% oxygen.

What weird world do you live in where you don't immediately just check youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXc-WXdg03Y&t=11s

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've worked with Arsine, phosphine, boron trifluoride, germanium tetrafluoride, silicon tetrafluoride, diboron tetrafluoride, diborane, and hydrofluoric acid in live gas environments. Diboron tetrafluoride is by far the worst. It is extremely expensive to make at around $300 a gram. It is used for ion implant in the semiconductor industry.

Even making it is :psyduck:. You start with enriched B11 boron. Heat that fucker up until it glows white hot, the run boron trifluoride over it which will strip boron off of the metal into boron monofluoride, diborane and unreacted BF3. Then in the same reactor a thermal gradient of over 2200C has to supercool it into a stable state until the synthesis is complete. After which you need to warm up the reactor to -20C to begin to form B2F4 to about 30% by mass. You capture it and distill it using a cryogenic distillation technique using hundreds of gallons of liquid nitrogen.

The hazards with diboron tetrafluoride include being extremely toxic past 1ppm. It also form a cloud of hydrofluoric acid in contact with air. For those who don't know, not only does the acid burn skin, but it also absorbed through it and will decalcify your bones. The only way to stop it is by introducing a larger supply of suspended calcium to the surface of your skin as a sacrificial media and hope it all reacts. Diboron tetrafluoride is also pyrophoric past 15% which means it spontaneously burns in contact with air. So overall B2F4 is toxic, corrosive and flammable to the very extremes of the definitions. Fun stuff.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 27, 2016

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So do they not get a trunk anymore?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
No GM has always had a reputation to build economy cars that won't die but be the absolute worst shitboxes ever in the process. Truly a brand for the most masochistic of us. My Saturn L200 had the exact identical sun roof failure.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

H110Hawk posted:

Good news, China is going to start making plane engines! http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37212009

Oh god. As someone that works with engineering on jet engine design and testing I can tell you that even the big players in the business are only starting to understand some of the ways metallurgy performs under the conditions you find in jet engines. Like, we figured out something new the other week that effects nearly every jet engine made since the 80s. The Chinese don't know any of this yet. That's scary.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 29, 2016

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm gonna start plugging bad data for the F35 in compromising locations to gently caress with the Chinese.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ok so I have about an inch and a half of clearance between my fender and tires. My springs are 500lbs/in (about 9k) and I can hit potholes and stuff okay. Motion ratio is something like 78% in the rear. So I can max out at 900lbs of compression in the rear. So while that dude would need stupid stiff springs to maintain that ride height, it doesn't need to be off the charts.

This is making some pretty wild saftey exceptions.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There's nothing wrong with using the rattle gun to get the lugs seated, then torque with an actual torque wrench, right? The problem lies in under/over torquing the lugs by just using an impact?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Beach Bum posted:

There was both a mechanical failure and mechanical success here :stonklol:

This was posted before and the perfect response was already supplied.

quote:

I think he sees the point.

Don't remember who it was but take a bow if you're here.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I work with someone know who did aircraft maintenance in Miami in 95. He told me a story of one of his colleagues getting busted for trying to buy one of those AA parts. The story was so crazy I chalked it up to be fake and tuned out.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Probably not engine related or I probably would have heard something at work about it by now.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure I saw wheels spacers, which answers why that happened

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Door Frame posted:

Spacers put that much stress on the lugs?

My guess is the lugs ripped the thread out of the spacer since they arent meant for racing.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress I can't tell you how many times I've looked for that photo

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I had to threaten my cheapo insurance company with legal action before they started paying out. It took about 6 months of pulling teeth before it was resolved in a manner I thought was fair.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That overlooked a ton of poo poo. Like you're going to have to do more than reinforce the surface. What do you suppose that'd weigh? 40 tons? Especially in cities with subway systems

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Not to downplay the seriousness off throwing a tire off a vehicle, but lug centric wheels make huge loving racket when the lugs loosen up. Bearings make noticeable amounts of noise when they start to go, not as much as lugs, but noticeable. But these are the ones on the vehicle you drive. I imagine you could miss quite a bit on a trailer before being loud enough to hear.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I tried curling my fingers once and instead of cutting my finger tips, I cut my knuckles :shrug:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

before anyone else posts it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_R-4360_Wasp_Major

28 cylinders, 71.5 litres, 4300 horsepower @ 2550 RPM on 115/145 avgas with 30psi boost. Each cylinder displaces 2.5 litres and it's air-cooled.

Note the H4 used 8 of these. 224 pistons with a displacement of 572 liters.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I imagine if you lift yourself out of your seat you could apply hundreds of pounds of pressure. 80 is firm but not absurd.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I once brought a car into a shop for loose lug nuts that I unknowingly forgot to torque a day earlier. Probably one of the dumbest things I've done.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've seen people on Jalopnik post about how they literally didn't know how a turbocharger worked.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
And only a few percent actually go into moving you in said vehicle!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
No I mean the remaining power to said wheels gets evenly distributed into total mass. Meaning if you weigh 180 lbs and your car is 2900 lbs, on 6% of the remaining power to the wheels actually drives you forward.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Are you assuming 100% of that heat is going into just grease and that it's a closed system or something?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You could just put a loop guard on one like a sword.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Or naturally, an old AAA battery.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've taken both 2100V and 250,000V at 1000W delivered. I know because I was measuring it :haw:.

Surprisingly 2100V hurt more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Phanatic posted:

Yoinked from the OSHA thread.

Someone watched world's fastest Indian.