Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Horse Divorce posted:

While not particularly a mechanical failure, it's in the right spirit.

I don't think I've ever seen train cars like that. Are those just semi-trailers with train wheel sets joining them together? If so, no wonder it crumpled up like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

MadScientistWorking posted:

I missed this but transporting dewars in elevators isn't all that dangerous. A liquid nitrogen dewar that I typically use is triple redundant. You have the 30 PSI safety valve, a 120 PSI safety valve, and a burst cap somewhere.

I think the risk is if something goes wrong and you get stuck in the elevator with it for any length of time.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

kastein posted:

:stare:

oh.

I couldn't figure out where the crack was, then I realized it was the thing I thought was a cable. :stare: indeed

XK
Jul 9, 2001

grover posted:

Are people considered horrible mechanical failures? Here's what's left of the rented 911 Lindsay Lohan crashed into an 18 wheeler 3 days ago:

First she said the truck cut her off, now she says the brakes on an effectively brand new Porsche failed and did nothing when she pressed them. I'm going to say yes, Lindsay Lohan qualifies.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Collateral Damage posted:

I have no idea what's going on here, but I doubt it's working as intended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_zC7QK64Ks

Ever since Russia got a hold of digital video cameras, internet video has gotten really weird.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

a total of 6 hand forged nails from the late 1800s

Are you sure they were old nails, or could they possibly have been a more recently produced "cut nail"? They're used for specialty purposes that need high holding strength. I think they're commonly used for making pallets.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

freelop posted:

More of a mechanical success from the point of the view of the gate

The first few times I watched that gif, I was so engrossed by trying to figure out just what in the gently caress was going on, and only ending up baffled, that I didn't even realize he managed to flip the car over until I saw the video. I still have no idea what the gently caress was going on.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

That's not a snatch strap... not a snatch strap

I was thinking he was going somewhat fast for a snatch strap, and the stuck truck likely didn't need anything more than some gentle tugging anyway. I was confused for a moment when the other guy disagreed with "that's how you use them". Then I realize it's not a snatch strap. What a dumb rear end. If he's done that before, I must say that his bumper performed admirably.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

http://jalopnik.com/truckload-of-airbag-parts-explodes-en-route-to-takata-p-1785826917

quote:

Truckload Of Airbag Parts Explodes En Route To Takata Plant, Killing Woman Inside Her Home

The woman was initially reported missing, but the two-day search for her ended when dental pieces found at the scene of the explosion were discovered to be Roberts.

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Phanatic posted:

The best part is that it anaesthetizes the olfactory nerve, so you can smell it at concentrations that won't really hurt you, but much over that you lose your ability to smell it.

Bonus is that it can be used to put mice into a state of suspended animation, from which they can be revived with no ill effects. Doesn't seem to work in larger mammals, though.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-latifa-lincoln-dead-hydrogen-sulfide-20161004-story.html

quote:

Hydrogen sulfide inhalation killed mother, toddler found on Florida's Turnpike in June

A woman and her three-year-old daughter, found dead in their still-running SUV on Florida's Turnpike in June, died after inhaling hydrogen sulfide, the medical examiner's office has ruled.

"The battery was not the original battery for the vehicle, nor the correct battery and is believed to have malfunctioned," Proudfit said. "In this particular SUV, the battery is located underneath the driver's seat. Both vehicle and battery will undergo additional examination by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration."