Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

orange lime posted:

I can't figure out how the piston (or whatever) seems to just...materialize in midair. There's a bang and then something appears to shoot out of the side of the gas tank, but there's no leaking gas or visible damage to the bike. It almost seems like it's just some random piece of the intake manifold or something that cracked off when the engine backfired/exploded.

A lot of those drag bikes don't have the tank in the traditional location, it's just a giant composite airbox. Those things get thirsty running at 12k+ RPM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

TheAtomicMan posted:

This is always awesome when it happens to you at 2AM in the mountain passes of Oregon.

Am I just used to Brembo calipers or is there supposed to be a hard line that leads from the outer two pistons to the inner two? The idea of running a fixed caliper as a floating caliper would pain any wheel studs.

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Contraband posted:

If your brake pads are rusty enough that you can break the pad material off the backing plate by simply "slamming it back into position," then a) your car was not safe to drive in the first place and b) more importantly, your inspection station is not doing its job.
Legit. Plus almost every modern caliper lets you see the middle of the pad, showing its thickness without unbolting the caliper from the hub.

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

If you wax, a microfiber towel will take off the pollen easily (if the surface is dry). Takes a grand total of 2 minutes for the whole car. Yes, my car is black.

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Beach Bum posted:

OH gently caress I really busted that one up. I guess I got confused because they used to be Electric Boat Company.
Electric Boat is division of GD. I worked there once upon a time.

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

trouser chili posted:

Speaking of old posters, remember smb123? He was a real hit on the forums. Also, poles.
You may not have liked the guy, but that's kinda harsh.

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

I just think it's unwarranted, that's all.

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

D C posted:

abloobloobloo
Ah, that makes much more sense now!

Here's a worn out brake rotor as a prize!!!!

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

trouser chili posted:

I'm sorry, where you not paying attention when the forums created this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AYujWCCHRk

Also, SMB123 and I got along just fine.
Speed up random video + Yakety sax = comedy? The next thing you're going to tell me is that Gallagher is funny.

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Ahhh that's way better?????

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Ola posted:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If that video is any indicator though, the Dutch are a little behind us in tractor awesomeness. I mean, a single i6 engine? Ours have like multiple v8s on every tractor. Get your poo poo together, Europe.
Those massive, ridiculous American tractors are unnecessary for the job and bad for the environment. Dutch tractors are lean, mean, efficient, quite taxed and useful in the city.
Yeah, there's no such thing as classifications in tractor pulling...

I prefer the turbodiesels because they fail so spectacularly. The turbine powered ones don't seem to blow up nearly as much or as entertainingly.

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

What idiot puts open beers in a cooler?

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Psssch it doesn't matter what number you put on top! 14.7/0 = 1/0

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

What? Are you telling me that we can't get all those atoms out of the way?

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Hydrogen sounds like a real dick. Not getting invited to my superbowl party, that's for sure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F54rqDh2mWA

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Wow, that's unbelievable.

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

iwentdoodie posted:

There's a reason that welds to submarine hulls require ultrasonic or radiographic testing.
Did they make you watch that video with the audio from the Thresher too?

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Why, was it classified or something? I don't think there was anything in that video that required a clearance.

(This is totally not OT because the Thresher was a horrible mechanical failure!)

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

grover posted:

It's the sonar recording the hull crushing as USS Thresher sank.
Purely mechanical sounds, and softened from the distance, but haunting as it's clear exactly what those sounds mean.
You can hear compartments imploding, one after another as the hull sank lower and lower. In context it's very creepy when you think about the people on board.

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Jonny Nox posted:

Courtesy Top Gear "fail file"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXQNpGmK5Qs
The car is smart enough to turn on the hazards too!

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Poor brakeline too.

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Armacham posted:

my girlfriend's parents bought me a dremel for Christmas last year, so it must be the default gift for any guy who doesn't have one. I have still not used it a single time
Quick note, the Craftsman variable-speed rotary tool is the exact same as the Dremel down to the plastic housings and has better accessories involved. Warranty may be different, YMMV.

If you haven't used it, you don't have any problems and you should keep enjoying that.

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Mo Hawk posted:

But how did this happen? I am not a fan of VW's engineering quality at all, but it doesn't seem to be damage which could have been inflicted by this jack.
That doesn't look like damage, look at the line between the (assumedly plastic) side sill and the door and it's perfectly straight. I think the red circle was to highlight the fact that Audi jacks go around the pinch weld under the unibody. I've beaten the poo poo out of the caliper retaining pin on one of my single-casting 4-pot brake calipers while it was on the one-legger (yeah I'm not dumb enough to have anything under the car while doing so) and it was just fine.

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

EightBit posted:

I don't understand the point of that safety wire. It won't prevent any of those bolts from backing out, unless that's the backside or they're left-handed
To add to InitialDave, it wouldn't matter if it was the backside either. I've seen plenty of nuts that were safety-wired, and the orientation would be the same as in that picture if they were standard right-hand threads.

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Boston, I'm in for spectating science experiments in destruction.

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

chrisgt posted:

I don't think they pulled the cable into the blades. There's a lot of turbulence around a helicopter rotor, the cable probably got sucked in.

He grabbed the cable that was slung from the bottom of the fuselage to a higher point presumably on the structure. This pulled it into a V instead of a U, which pulled it closer to the rotor. You can see him jump up and pull it right before the crash.

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

A student posted:

Do they know what caused the chain to snap?
Looks like it may have been an anchoring chain, so maybe a combo of long-term stress, salt and rough water? You can see the rig starts to bob after the chain snaps.

Also, that I4 with no intake valves is pretty ridiculous.

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

NOTinuyasha posted:

Just a scratch compared to the other poo poo that guy has restored.

Here's the full collection.

What in the gently caress, why? Are cars just THAT expensive there that the labor that goes into a ridiculous repair like that is justified?

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Hmmm, that doesn't look right.

OK, definitely something wrong here.

Yep.

To H&R's credit, all I had to do was send them pictures of the springs and they sent me these:

Apparently the rubber tubing they put on the helper coils does not play well with corrosion states (I'm in Boston) and it allows moisture to eat the springs (both rears were broken). They removed the tubing from the replacement springs that they sent me free of charge.

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Philip J Fry posted:

Depends on the climate, really. Most owners that live in hotter regions will usually bypass the radiator cooler (heat exchanger, actually) altogether while colder regions keep it in the loop to help heat up the trans fluid. I ditched my stock cooler, bypassed the radiator in put in a large aluminum B&M stacked plate type.

Yeah, for a while Suburbans had a fantastic radiator that was for coolant, an oil cooler and ATF warmer. First change for anyone towing anything was to put in an external ATF cooler and not use the multiplexed radiator for the tranny.

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

nm posted:

They drive up on 2x4s.

My car isn't slammed and I have to do that for my "low profile" floor jack. However, the crappy scissor jack in the tire kit is only about 3 inches tall when totally retracted, so I'd never have a problem getting it under the jack points.

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

The high performance brakes just ripped the wheel apart.

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

CommieGIR posted:

Then, get an adjustable wrench,
WTF, now we know you're lying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poing
Jul 24, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Blow Dog had one of the first ones but he doesn't post here anymore, probably thanks to people trying to get up in his business too much. I think he moved on to a GT3 after a while?