Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

MomJeans420 posted:

Does dropping a wrench into a pan full of 95k mile old gear oil count as a mechanical failure? I ended up getting it all over my face and neck, in my mouth, eyes, etc. I can still smell it the next day, I think I'm traumatized.

You should try Gear Oil from a Burned Out Rear Axle. Good god that smell is vile.

Also, I would buy a Brake Cleaner scented air freshener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Sudo Echo posted:

Sockington could still fix this, right?

I'd say Kevbarlas could probably fix it, judging by his Thames Campervan project.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Farking Bastage posted:

Believe it or not, that motor ( in a '94 S10 ) was pretty damned well bulletproof. Except the front and real main seals :v:

It was bulletproof because it was so goddamn gutless and pathetic that there was no chance it could make enough horsepower to blow up. I know, I had one ('93 S10).

That being said, god I miss that thing sometimes.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

SyHopeful posted:

I had to figure out why the passenger footwell in my Grand National kept flooding during rainy days. Pulled the whole loving front end off to do this job:

Dear god I can only pray this never happens to mine. gently caress

Edit: I know this will happen now, after I replace the fuel pressure regulator and swap the Powermaster for a conventional hydroboost brake system.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

SyHopeful posted:

Well...

1. This was longggg after I converted to vacuum boost brakes
2. Heater core wasn't the problem! Turns out the weatherseal that sealed the whole assembly to the firewall failed

:suicide:

I may have asked this once already, but what kit did you get to convert to vacuum boost? Christmas is going to be better for my car than it is for me.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Slavvy posted:

I love how the MDPS ecu is on the rack under the engine. Ford are past masters at finding ways of doing easy, common things in a loving retarded way I swear to god.

Maybe the same people who decided to stick the distributor/ignition module for Cavaliers on the under-loving-side of the car jumped to Ford?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Have you ever seen what it takes to do major work on the ford 6.0 diesel trucks? Step one: remove cab from frame.

I'm not sure if this is true or not (any Toyota mechanics can confirm/deny) but I've read that for changing the water pump on a Toyota Venza crossover wagon thing, the first step is 'prepare engine for removal'

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

PainterofCrap posted:

Quad4 for lyfe :corsair:

Iron Duke for maximum awesome

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I thought the Dodge 4.7 sucked because it made lovely power for a V8 and drank gas like an alcoholic at an open bar wedding reception.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

There was a recall about this in 2003 or 2004. Affected Durangos and Dakotas since they were platform mates.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Uthor posted:

I'm curious, and this seems like the best place to ask: how's the Dart?

I think the interior and exterior look nice enough for a small compact and have seen a few on the road, but no one says anything about them and I don't know anything about how they drive or hold up. I looked on Car and Driver and they're ranked second to last in the "compacts" section, so that can't be good. Seeing the Fiat 500 down that low is a bit of a surprise, too.

I think there was someone here who worked at the Dart plant, and said that 1 out of every 3 cars gets pulled to the 'rework' area because they were built so badly they needed to be repaired right off the line

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

xergm posted:

Who needs safety standards when you can get your 3-wheeled car classified as a motorcycle?

Edit:

I have to wonder, since seatbelt laws don't apply to motorcycles, would you be required to wear one?
Conversely, I guess that helmet requiring states would require you to wear a helmet in this thing.

At my second job, we make the hood and hoodliner/skeleton. I can say, conclusively, gently caress anyone who buys those. Stop buying them so we don't slash our arms to ribbons making parts for them.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

kastein posted:

Valve seats and alleged oil passage sludging issues on those.

Valve seats are the only thing I would worry about, really. The oiling issues are probably lack of maintenance.

Oh, the 4.0s had a fatal flaw in the head casting from 99-02.0 but 02.5 and up are solid.

It shouldn't be gutless. If it is, something is wrong.

I like the part where it got poo poo mileage in a Dakota and made lots of noise when you stomped the gas but it took forever to do anything. Never had any mechanical issues with it... just kind of a gutless, thirsty engine.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Horrible mechanical design failure

Ultra-minimal

Ultra-useless

Literally everything is wrong

http://schneidersarto.com/wrench-aesthetics/

We've done it, folks. We have achieved artisinal wrenches.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I must have gotten the only good pair of Brahma boots ever made. Bought them in 2005 expecting to only need them for a summer, finally tossed them a year ago because they lost waterproof. My only complaint was that they were hot as hell and didn't breathe at all.

My vintage 2006 Brahmas finally gave up the ghost a week or so ago, the right sole feels really weird when walking, like it split between the absolute bottom and the inner lining.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
We have a stupid amount of traceability and paperwork just for the toilet seats we make for planes.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

namaste friends posted:

I don't think a stock F 350 is really good for anything other than towing a large trailer.

Are you even American? I mean, how are you going to get your groceries home?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

The Locator posted:

That article was from 2009, sort of the peak of the big recession, and those 730+ ships only represented 4% of the worlds shipping capacity. A 4% drop when the US is in a massive recession isn't really all that bad I would say, and I bet all of those ships that weren't scrapped, along with many more are all back in full time service now.

Ships can last a long time, so while there were certainly some losers in that time period, I wouldn't say the shipping industry was any more screwed than anyone else in the world in those years.

I could swear that the largest shipping company declared bankruptcy a year or two ago. Crews that were at sea at the time didn't know if they were going to get paid.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Colostomy Bag posted:

I need to ask, have they done a turbo'd one?

I've seen a Chevy LS-powered chainsaw on YouTube somewhere. It's a force to be reckoned with.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

builds character posted:

So it’s fine? Nothing to worry about?

I'm sure the FCA QA dept was like 'they're going to be mall crawlers, it's fine'

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

um excuse me posted:

I saw someone who's car wouldn't start because of a loose terminal. He got a hammer out of the trunk, rummaged around in his pocket and pulled out a penny, then proceeded to smash it between the terminal and the clamp.

I mean, it worked.

I used speaker wire as a shim for one of the terminals. Cut the insulation off, cut the copper to length, and presto!

That car had so much PO fuckery that the battery terminal thing was the least of its issues.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, not my first rodeo. Had several cars towed. This bastard is basically sitting in the front yard with about 4" of snow. (think redneck heaven).

Also, what would a '95 Caprice wagon be worth? Skips gears. Feels like a powerglide. Basically has 1st and 3rd.

If it has the V8 it might be worth a couple grand. If not, scrap.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Crotch Fruit posted:

I think Linus does poo poo the wrong way most of the time, but he at least does it the interesting way. Like would you want to watch a dull boring technician at a Mercedes dealer do an engine swap with $10K worth of Snap-On tools and all the Mercedes parts, tools and documentation you could dream of, or would you rather watch Inch Dickman slam a lovely 350 into a 49 Chevy. . .

I want to see Inch Dickman slam a lovely 350 into a Mercedes now

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Queen Combat posted:

YOU DON'T JUST SHOVE THE BLADE IN THE DILDO

Mods, new thread title right here

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So they never cleaned out the EGR and the intake just gummed up again, or they did absolutely nothing except fog in some MAF cleaner, clear a code and ask for $400?

Your heart knows the answer.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

STR posted:

I'm pretty sure the only people who replace rear end lube (lol) probably make up less than 2-3% of RWD vehicle owners. It's something nobody ever does, until it goes kablooey. The exceptions being true car nerds, and the occasional Corvette/Camaro/Viper/etc owner who thinks switching to Royal Purple will free up 50 hp.

I'm the guy that's never changed the gearbox oil on his current car, despite 2nd gear protesting quite violently every time I try to downshift (and on a lot of upshifts) for a couple of months now. My only excuse is you have to cut down an allen key to get the drain plug out.....

I did that on my old Dakota, the reason being that I was moving cross country with it, towing a trailer, and didn't want anything catastrophic happening in bumfuck Nebraska... So all the juices got flushed and filled. Oil, trans, and diff.

I miss that truck, but I don't miss the lovely gas mileage. The 4.7L V8 is itself a mechanical design failure. Extremely reliable trash.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
It almost seems more efficient to have a bunch of spares already made up so you can swap the wheel, get the truck going, then deal with replacing the tire. This is probably already in practice, though.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

wesleywillis posted:

I'm not sure what thread to post this in as its kinda awesome in a funny way. Assuming nobody got hurt. But here is Horrible driver failures?

Truck truck.

Truck fuckling at its finest

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

tactlessbastard posted:

And it isn't even going to fit in that Toyota!!

Not with that attitude, anyway

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Oh hay, that guy lives in my neighborhood! I see him at Tacos Tijuana sometimes. His vantruck is a cool vantruck.

It's an Astro so it's already an S10 underneath.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Maybe the tire was made by Tesla

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Reading about how WW2 Germany used prisoners as labor, I'm not surprised that quality may have been sketchy. If I was Jewish prisoner making parts for Messerschmitts or Panther tanks or V2 rockets, I'd probably turn a blind eye to if the parts were in spec or not.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

After reading all this, I think I'm the only Model 3 owner whose car has not tried to violently murder anybody.

Give it time. Besides, how do you know that it won't try murdering you by bursting into flames?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Honda Crosstour
Nissan Murano Cabriolet
Toyota Mirai

Elements are functionally cool and good

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

I'm struggling to figure out the base model. Was that a Ford Probe?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Wtf is with that camper shell? Did they widen it?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Is this the OSHA thread now

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
It still holds air, it's fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

freeedr posted:

How do I install ChatGPT on it to control my shifting

Have I got some news about Volkswagen for you...