Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

The brits loving loved them, iirc they still have a few trains running with deltics inside, very reliable.

We were still fitting them to RN ships in the 80s - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunt-class_mine_countermeasures_vessel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The gearbox in my friends VW splitty decided to eat itself on a steep hill:

Splitcase gearbox failure by zombikombi1959, on Flickr

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The residue build up suggests that it ran for a while at least. Honestly that's a horrible mechanical success. It shouldn't have been done, it shouldn't have worked and whoever did it shouldn't work on an engine ever again but it actually worked.

:psyduck:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

I went up the CN Tower in Toronto, one of the guys who worked there said they used to have fun when people would jump on the glass to impress / frighten their friends. The trick, he said, was to stand behind them and drop your big bunch of building keys so they hit the glass exactly as the cocksure visitor landed. He said management banned it in fear of people literally making GBS threads themselves.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Huggable Bear King posted:

Well Chrysler years are like dog years, so most of them should be off the road by 2020.

If the Morris Marina has a fan club, you can bet the PT will too.

Thousands of fans world wide, lovingly restoring and preserving their "iconic" cars.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

I have rust, so cotter pins are more of an abstract theoretical concept. I might need them, if you could still recognize the threads and castle nut after a couple weeks.

(yes, I still install them.)

I live on a small windswept island in the English Channel. Here, mild steel fasteners are for all intents and purposes, single use.

A vehicle wiring loom is a thin series of PVC tubes used for storing green dust.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'd still be puckered approaching that thing. I've seen a way overfilled bicycle tyre let go and it sounded like a 12 guage. Maybe pop on the welding helmet and gloves while I undid the valve. Or, you know, give the apprentice a broomstick, a stanley knife and some tape...

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

XZN/triple square don't suck rear end, unlike allen/hex keys. That being said I'd rather they just used a hog ring like everyone else.

I snagged a set of XZN keys at an autojumble for a few quid last summer. I don't have a single XZN fastener on any vehicle or piece of equipment I own, but for the price of a sandwich I figure it is a worthwhile investment for the multiple craft beers I will receive when one of my friends inevitably calls up at 2100 on a Sunday asking if I have some.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
"Casing had a small crack, repaired with JB weld and seems fine."

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

I thought I'd seen some poo poo when it comes to brakes but this is some next level abuse.

[insert not-even-angry-thats-amazing-will-ferrell clip]

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

14 INCH DICK posted:

If you're really good you can actually feel the exact moment a bolt is torqued fully, no matter size grade or material. Basically get your ratchet on it and keep tightening rriiiiiiiight up to the point where suddenly it gets just a little tiny bit loosee. This is the threads cam locking into position, now walk away cause jobs a good one.

To paraphrase AvE - Tighten till it goes loose, then back a quarter turn.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Real-ale hangover farts in the shower the next morning have made me throw up a little.

EDIT: the worst involved an ale called Dark Side of the Moose

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Uthor posted:

I'd bet there would be a law against doing that. I know it's illegal in a lot of places to donate "expired" food, even if sell by dates are generally bullshit and the food itself is a-okay. There's a bunch of rules that make giving food away really difficult.

Apparently there isn't. I saw a documentary which looked into it and they couldn't find any evidence of such laws anywhere. It's usually corporate policy, made under the false assertion that such laws exist.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The three flames out the top and sides reminds me of this, but inverted:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Tyre/gas chat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzsw_NL1SiY

Can't find anyone trying to actually fill a tyre with acetylene. I guess you wouldn't find the camera afterwards anyway.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Mythbusters did a whole thing where they couldn't get a can to explode in a car and claimed it couldn't be done. Well I've seen it happen first hand. Friend of mine runs an Airsoft wargaming company and left a can of HFC22 propellant (used for the gas powered pistols) on the van dashboard. It took out the windscreen and a side window. It was also sitting next to a stack of his freshly printed promotional bumper stickers and turned them into sticky-backed vinyl confetti that coated the interior. It happened again a couple of years later to another mutual friend with a can inside a polymer gun case. Broke part of the gun and put a piece of metal through the top of the case and into his cars roof lining.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

NitroSpazzz posted:

Friends supercharged R32 time attack car had a failure last weekend, initial tear down showed this...

I didn't know they made chewing gum for cars, neat!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
My friends Land Rover lightweight diesel could be started with practically any key or small coin. Engine shut off was accomplished by holding the brakes as hard as possible and stalling it.

Why yes, now you mention it, it did go through some oil...

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I mean, if you're in the middle of bumfuck nowhere trying to get home then it's fine, but he doesn't qualify it as an "emergency" repair, just "welp, that's fixt 'er"...

I've blanked off a brake line on a twin-disk motorcycle front end just to get the bike running safely enough to move it between workshops.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Our local fisheries protection agency is threatening to spend £2.4 million on a new patrol boat and so for a laugh I suggested to a client that they get a Combat Caravan to add to the EXs they're getting for their taxi/charter ops, contracting it out for fisheries/borders/law enforcement duties... they're adding a new page to their new brochure now.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The guy who invented the much-superior Aerobie also invented the finest coffee preparation device known to mankind, the Aeropress.

Coffee nerd buddy :reject::respek::reject:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Dude, just stop filling, jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'm gonna go with "Lifted the body, not the frame" for 10 points Terry.