Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yer a wizard, 'arry joat mon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm slightly surprised that he, of all people, would forget that a carb will squirt / leak fuel any time it has pressure.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Didn’t sound like he forgot, the pressure was set way too high. And old mechanical pump will move massive amounts of fuel if the needle in the bowl is bad or gums up with trash... the main reason I decided to take on my fuel injection project.

The issue isn't just the regulator, it's pressurizing the fuel system of a non-running engine with a carb. When he was leak testing, he flooded the engine out because he had the pump running and the engine not. A mechanical pump can't do anything with the engine off, and unless it's broken, fuel injection on a shut off engine will actually stay shut.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

There has got to be more to this fantastical failure.

I'd bet you could recreate it at your local hobby shop :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd bet the shuddering also comes from a driveshaft slapping around unconstrained.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dunno about the Ford versions but Mazda had this keyless bullshit at least back to 2007.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm 99% sure I've seen that exact truck running around here. It's even more obnoxious in person.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ryanrs posted:

I love that every wire is yellow with a green stripe.

Stripes cost extra! The stripe is painted on in a separate manufacturing step! Why did you spend extra on striped wire, but not different colors?

AI tip: buy striped automotive wire here. Pretty sure it's just one guy with a garage full of wire. Seems to be a competently run operation.

Saving this for later. I may end up wiring the Opel more or less from scratch.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Now that's a money shift.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

chrisgt posted:

How come it isn't more common to use diesel engines, TDI, etc.
They're happy to run all day at 2800rpm, make gobs of power, and will be running when only cockroaches are left on the planet.
Oh, and you can burn JP1 as long as you add some 2-stroke oil or something for lubricity.

Comes back to the reasons MrYenko posted - a shrinking GA market and buy-in costs that make the eye-watering price of a Lycoming look cheap. There are companies pushing for automotive-to-aero diesels, and it's certainly a great solution on paper with the combination of "uses a fuel already easily obtained at airports" and "no lead". But since the FAA continues to drag its rear end on eliminating leaded avgas, the same old engines are still available. The few people who are buying new engines in 2022 still prefer the engine that's been around so long you can predict the maintenance costs down to the penny.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you have even the smallest whiff of interest in "airplanes" you owe it to yourself to watch Paul Bertorelli's videos. I can only dream of being so deservedly cranky when I grow up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's a Discount Tire house brand, which means it's probably an otherwise-discontinued version of a tire that a major manufacturer is making for Discount.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Start with an engine that has a cast aluminum valvecover instead of steel or plastic, go hog wild.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I think my favorite is the claim that a truck from 1992 1) has a carburetor, and 2) has a PowerGlide.
I mean, I'd stay away from it anyway, other than to laugh at it, but if it weren't literally dipped in red (and breaking in half), I'd avoid based o the points 1 & 2.

A truck that fuckled could well have had a Q-jet and a 'glide slammed in it by the same idiot who made it all red.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Been there done that, never did install limit straps.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Arrath posted:

Me: "What aren't you telling me?"
Rep: "Use any oil other than ours and you'll void the warranty."

Technically not legal (at least in the US) unless the manufacturer also provides the consumables for free, but good luck fighting that fight.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Color me educated, that sucks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

https://hugelolcdn.com/v/840547.mp4
I did some poo poo like this in the early days. Also orange barrels.

Never done it in real life but there's a certain road in GTA V / Online that has these.

I mow them down every time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Immobilizers definitely weren't mandatory at least as late as 2002; my TJ doesn't have one.

You can also unzip your way into the drat thing so I don't even bother locking the doors.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I suspect that's a field-expedient repair just to get it rolling and holding air just long enough to drive to wherever they can replace the tire.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Shai-Hulud posted:

EVs based on Volkswagens MEB platform even have sealed rear drum brakes.

I want to see this poo poo just to satisfy my curiosity. Honestly, it sounds kinda neat, especially since most of the braking on a day-to-day basis should be done by regeneration instead of friction.

I wouldn't be surprised if the other trick they get away with here is lower rolling resistance by having the shoes sitting further away from the drum than would be typical. There's not much you could do with a disc / caliper setup to hold the pads completely off the rotor, but it seems like it might be viable with a drum brake built to accommodate it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

skybolt_1 posted:

Were they just hideously unreliable in addition to being gas hogs and ugly?

LifeSunDeath posted:

they stopped making them a while ago. I think they just weren't selling.

shame on an IGA posted:

They really didn't make that many of them either, the entire H2 production run was under 170,000 units which is like, 3 months of F150 sales

It's all of these. The newest H2s are 13 years old now. They're also effectively an overweight GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon, so they burn through consumables more often (and some things that aren't really supposed to be consumables). And each year the Tahoe/Yukon alone outsold the H2 by about 10:1.

I also get the feeling that once popular culture soured on the H2 and it went from "symbol of success" to "poster child of American excess and the 2008 financial crisis", there were very few people left who want to shovel money into keeping an H2 going.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Aren't the brakes on most (all?) airliners multi-disc affairs, like super-sized versions of automatic transmission clutch packs?

The downside of multi-disc braking on a roadgoing vehicle is you'd be doubling the rotating and unsprung mass of your brakes, and I don't even know how you'd package a brake system that wide unless you did something nuts on a four/front-wheel driven vehicle where you have one rotor/caliper mounted inboard at the gearbox, and one rotor/caliper mounted outboard in the conventional location.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Large Testicles posted:

you could do it on RWDs fairly easily if they're IRS and you could do it with solid axles but you'd have to basically make them from scratch. i'm pretty sure i've seen either race vehicles or prototype style things with multi disc setups in the rear before

My point for doing it only on a FWD/4WD vehicle and not RWD is that a RWD vehicle wouldn't have CV shafts at the front to add brakes to. The fronts already do the majority of the braking. So if you added inboard front brakes to a RWD vehicle, you're adding an obscene level of complexity to solve a mostly-nonexistent problem.

The UFO brake is a "solution" to a problem that partly existed because Audi insisted it should exist, by sticking with 15" diameter wheel.

Also, I was never suggesting aircraft brakes were a good idea for cars, just an example of a multi-disc solution to braking in general.

As has been said, even with modern super sticky tires and downforce and heavy cars and assloads of horsepower, a single (giant) caliper squeezing two pads on a single (giant) rotor is still the best solution. More than capable of generating enough braking force to lock the tires up on at least one stop. Combine that with modern pad compounds / rotor materials and at least some effort at getting air over the brakes and now most cars have brakes that would make sports cars from a few decades ago jealous.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I like that Arcan aluminum jack, though, at the same price.

I know it's weird, by HF is actually becoming something like a decent quality bargain. Costs a bit more than they used to, but they're also better (depending on product line - they've introduced a lot of new "brands.")

I had one of the Arcan "hybrid" jacks from Costco forever ago that was much cheaper than the Daytona, and I liked it a lot. The only reason I replaced it with a Daytona is because the extra inches of lift really helps out when working on Jeeps.

HF is in a weird spot now. There are some products where they're anywhere from "competitive" to "class leading" like toolboxes and floor jacks where anything better comes with massive price increases. Then there's some that are still just garbage-tier poo poo. The battery tools are in a weird spot because it looks like they're getting more competitive, but their pricing is now pretty close to in line with Milwaukee / Dewalt as a result.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

And they have like 4 "brands" of battery tools that span that same range of crap-to-nice.

Yup. That's the other reason I wouldn't ever recommend anyone buy HF battery power tools. "The brands are made up and the points don't matter" is fine for most HF tools, but problematic here. I don't want to spend $Milwaukee on a power tool unless I'm getting Milwaukee-level of support for replacement batteries in the future.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That goes from bad, to worse, to much much worse

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

What, are the normally grown or hatched or something?

:dadjoke:

Everyone knows the best transmissions are free-range. When you get factory-farmed transmissions, that's how you get 4L60Es.

My most recent "that could have been much worse" story is I was doing some work on the TJ - I forget what now but I had a reason to have the parking brake off, probably involved pulling a driveshaft. Had it up on jackstands while working on it, but forgot to engage the parking brake or any gear in the transmission before lowering it back to the ground.

On my sloped driveway.

Thankfully it would've been rolling into an empty street at a very low speed but I managed to reach in and yank the brake handle before it picked up any real momentum.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Good god, that is scary.

There was even a couple across the street walking their dog to laugh at my stupidity.

I'm sure it helped that my driveway had just enough tilt to make the Jeep roll on its own, but not enough to make it roll when it has to make the casters of a floor jack turn.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

All you can say for certain is that the broken crank would've been one of the last things, since at that point the cam would stop spinning and there'd be no way for the engine to actually run anymore... aside from possibly "coasting" downhill in gear.

On the heads, I get the feeling he sells those sorts of things as cores only - wash it, make sure there's no cracks or other damage that's not economically viable to repair, sell it to someone with the expectation that the buyer is going to rebuild the heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

yeah i also laughed at spaceballs: the camshaft

The driver of that Ram definitely didn't brake for anybody (or anything).