Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
lol @ the cheap office chair netting more discussion than a V8 block that cracked in half

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003

FatCow posted:

It was a 2001 Miata motor. That cylinder actually came up 180psi on a compression test.

Protip don't run near 14:1 AFRs on a track car.

is that at full load you had 14:1 or what? Just curious.. I run the E30 at almost 15:1 up til 80kpa, then it goes to the 13's and 12's as boost comes in. It seems safe, no melty stuff.. I'd really prefer to avoid it though. If you find any contributing factors let us know.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
In one of the car cleaning threads on here someone explained that this is why he waxes the inside and outside of the wheels when he does the rest of the car.. Most people were of the opinion that it was over the top and that brake dust isn't that hard to deal with, but after seeing this (and I've got hawks installed on my auto-x car) I'll be waxing the wheels.. drat.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
nuke plant.. that is maybe the most epic horrible mechanical failure. D:

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
robo, did you happen to be riding the bike when the wheel broke in half like that?

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003

Cakefool posted:

I want an engine where each part is labelled like this.

Every single part :colbert:

not if you know what hotspots are, unless you don't mind pulling out all of your ignition advance. :doh:

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003

Cakefool posted:

I know not of your spark ignition, It's compression ignition & direct injection all the way over here buddy. :colbert:

My mistake. Don't forget to dremel your name into the piston heads.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
guess they should switch the emissions crap to direct injection too

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
my e30 running on megasquirt passed smog check with flying colors.. just tuned it for 14.7 AFR across the board and let it rip, all the numbers were like 1/2 of max (usually they barely pass, if I'm lucky)

I'm of the opinion that a modern direct injection motor should not need such crap on it. But really a turbo could cause the same issues just from typical bearing leakage.

That is a pickle, not sure what the best way around it is. More air filtering?

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
Could you imagine if everyone used them? Total game changer to the environment.

Mine was just because the turbo manifold got in the way of OEM filter location, i picked an easier spot to get at. But I'll tell ya, how many oil drops I've saved from hitting the pavement..

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I replaced rotors on my dad's van, one had collapsed! All those ribs had rusted to structural failure.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
front of the car is messed up too, looks like this one had some help.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
The turnpike in OH is actually pretty awesome. It only takes a few bucks to keep most of the derps out. And depending on where you're headed it cuts out quite a few miles.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
You guys should try Cleveland. The freeway got built up then everyone moved right on out of town. Inner city and east side has some left lane loiterers but for the most part it's smooth sailing.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
are the threads even remotely salvageable? I'd try cleaning them up and soldering on pigtails that could be properly connectorized. Or just replace the whole pump over it.. seems like a waste but I've done it with alternators that I decided were electrical hazards.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

Don't run over mattresses.

Now that's an unusual repeat to have in here.. :)

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003

Willderbeast331 posted:

Easy-outs are the loving worst. I have broken so many of those off in the exhaust side of heads. Turns something fairly simple into such a pain in the rear end, drilling through those is literally impossible.

I usually drill into hardware before hammering the easy-out into it. It gets in much deeper and usually works.. the heat from drilling doesn't hurt either. As was mentioned the external type works better but on most (non-car) machines they are recessed allen head bolts.

And the big size easy-outs are awesome for unthreading snapped off hydraulic pipes.

(I could have had a lot to post in this thread if I was still working factory maint)

edit:
I'm impressed that they caught that. Must be tough to keep a beater on the road in PA.

Wiglaf fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 15, 2012

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
brake bats? wow. I'm not sure it tops the e30 guy who had a timing belt slip because there was a mouse in there (and trashed his head) but that is certainly unique.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003

funny, but wtf could he possibly be trying to do? see if a spark plug is working?

All the 12v stuff is touch-safe and the engine isn't trying to start.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003

You Am I posted:

Or he's in the Southern Hemisphere, where angle grinders run counter clockwise

best theory. :)

You guys are overreacting, worst he could do there is burn a hole into the hoses.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, report that poo poo as soon as possible, before someone gets hurt due to the owner's penny pinching.

If you like them, you warn them first and give them a chance to jump. OSHA is a nightmare and if your boss understands this then that lift will be repaired the next day.

And a leaky cyl isn't panic mode, it's the safety devices that are scary. Even if that seal blows out the lift shouldn't fall more than an inch or two if the safety stuff is in order.

Wiglaf fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 16, 2012

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
If you didn't hear it you would feel it.. if hitting the gas even caused the car to move anymore. I'm betting tow fail.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003

grover posted:

I've heard many a firefighter say how much they love getting a chance to do this:

Hard to find a low-enough profile jack to work when a flat tire drops an already low profile car another few inches. Speaking of which, how do the hellaflush guys jack their cars up?

That famous E30 firehose picture. First seen on Netscape Navigator. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003

Exit Strategy posted:

1) I got hurt. I got hurt quite a lot. Fortunately, the company who made the rifle admitted that they were heat-treating stainless steel bolts (WHY?!) and paid me for my trouble.

2) I was using bog-standard M855, for which the rifle was rated. Don't buy ATI.

e: For reference, if I hadn't been wearing impact-resistant glasses when that bolt went (and the upper it was in got shattered), I would have been picking lugs out of my brainpan. As it was, some of those lugs came out of my forearm instead.

wouldn't heat treating the bolts make them stronger? i don't understand the problem. too brittle?