Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
To see better at night you want good light far down the road while minimizing the foreground light. So those fog lights might make everything seem brighter but that light is not going anywhere useful and actually hurting your night vision.

That said most fog lights are pretty useless and mostly for decoration. There are cars where they just come on with the headlights and you can't really notice if they're on or off. If you want actual useful fog lights in fog you generally need to buy them on your own and they're only any good for going very slowly with poor visibility.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

737 frames are shipped via rail car from Wichita to Renton, wa and several planes per year are shot up

And sometimes a few wind up in a river in Montana.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The lumberjack games are awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPlI5HQZD4I

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The slot is there so they can use the same pitch stop and mount on the trans between the regular legacy/impreza and outback/forester, which space the subframes, suspension mounts, and drivetrains down.

Also "a 14mm" wrench doesn't tell you the thread pitch and unless the hardware store has JIS fasteners there won't even be any of that size.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

wolrah posted:

No, the safety sensor is on the clutch pedal.

As far as I know most transmissions neutral position sensor.

The problem is not just leaving the car in neutral though, it's actually installing a system to use the neutral switch. Years ago working at a shop, I moved some cars out in the morning, obviously parking them in gear. Later that day, another guy goes to pull one back into the shop, uses the remote start, and sends it right into the bushes.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

um excuse me posted:

See the little window underneath the nose of the aircraft? The frame holding the glass panels is composite. It's no thicker than a pencil but handles the aerodynamic forces at Mach. It's tremendously strong but still smaller than most of the failed components on any of the examples in that video. I guess they use cheaper materials.

Most of those are probably from crashes and hard impacts and stuff. Failures while "just riding along" is pretty rare. But there are a lot of cheap/knockoff carbon bike parts floating around too.

This guy cuts apart a lot of carbon bikes and parts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCY9JUMYI54lLOHpb_zbIedQ

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 27, 2019

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

A lot of cvts have paddles so you can pick preset ratios and will fake shifts.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Plus people tend to seriously underestimate the aerodynamic forces. I learned that lesson when a few splitters didn't hold up so well around the banking at cal speedway.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

They're diesel pistons, and they're very broken.

Fender Anarchist posted:

That's the head, looking from the combustion chamber roof up into (i assume) the pre-combustion chamber where the valves sit.

Is this for real?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Not really because then there are discrete exhaust gas pulses going into each turbine vs a smoother, more continuous flow when they are all combined into 1-2 collectors. Plus, generally I want to say that one single larger turbo is more efficient than two smaller ones at the same total airflow and pressure ratio.

E- multiple, smaller turbos tends to be better for response and low-mid range power but that's not what these things are going for.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 7, 2019

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The whole point of the solid white line between carpool and regular lanes is so you can get in/out of it wherever you want vs having a double yellow and designated entrance/exit points. Phoenix vs LA for example. It's also common for a carpool lane to be a regular travel lane during non-peak times.

The real answer is that almost no one loving pays attention to what they're doing when driving.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 6, 2019

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'm going with electronic thermostat for that actuator.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

It's the same with like every recent pickup. "A 285/60-20 costs what!?"

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The time attack car i used to work on didn't have a bov.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MIYc3CjY-4

so that chirp between shifts is surge. Turbo is a gen 1 gtx3582, think peak boost was 38psi and it made 747whp?

The engines blew up a lot but the turbos seemed to hold up fine. To contribute to the thread this happened the next morning on the first hot lap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6v76JXWlIc

hmmmm

whoops

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 30, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I thought it was funny.

In real life with a non-synchronized transmission in a race car you still wouldn't double-clutch the upshifts btw. Downshifts probably.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

A couple years ago i got charged by a black bear with cubs and yelled at it and it stopped, so that's an option sometimes. Have also had my loud mtb brakes scare a bear away on two occasions that I know of. A number of other times they've just ignored me/us and continued eating berries in the bushes. The other day I saw a bear and actually had bear spray in my frame bag. Heard rustling in the bushes above me on a road, look back, and a bear comes down on the road, then runs off the other way. That made 3 sightings in a week.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah it's pretty amazing the cv joint didn't separate long ago sending the wheel on it's own journey.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Darchangel posted:

50 years ago, there were more sticks, as I recall. But even if not, as rndmnmbr notes, the air- or electric-shifter splitter and range boxes won't shift while there is still torque applied. There's too much mechanical force. It's not really the computer doing it, it's physics.

edit: At least, that's how I understood it.

Yeah you can experience this yourself. Just try to pull the shifter out of 3rd or whatever while you're accelerating. It's not coming out. Then let off, and it pops out of gear.

Driving something like a manual sequential dog box that's a good technique. Preload the lever so when you lift or it the rev limiter it shifts to the next gear (and yes I've actually driven one). You can even use a strain gauge on the shifter so that when you pull hard enough it cuts throttle and lets you shift.

jamal fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 17, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

In my experience water pumps tend not to last as long as two timing belts.

CarForumPoster posted:

The outlet of the water pump goes directly to the radiator, yea?

Usually the radiator goes directly to the water pump inlet.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

You guys should hear about how the mzr timing gears are held in place.

It's just from the bolt being tightened.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

All the ones i've used had a big ball valve on the top of the tank so you raise the drain pan up above the valve, close it, and then apply shop air to push oil out the drain tube. Looks like maybe that ones doesn't have a valve so he needs to raise the pan way up and then be really gentle with air pressure to keep oil from spraying out the top?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I don't even like torqueing the lugs with the full weight of the car on the ground, I'll lower it so the tire is just touching and won't slip.

Oh, that reminds me, I noticed a broken off stud with a lug nut on it on the road at a light on a bike ride the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

There's avgas...

Years ago at a tuning shop job we had a couple of guys get accessport maps for 100LL because they could just fill up on base.