Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
What's the reason for safety wiring no more than three bolts at a time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
Speaking of Volkswagen timing belts, for several years there has been an epidemic of prematurely failed belts around few cities in northern Finland. The belt gears get coated with a brown powder that wear the gear teeth sharp and they end up breaking the belt. At one point it was suspected that the cause was tailings from a local steel mill that was used for road construction, but that was ruled out. Current theory is, that iron deposited from tire studs is the cause, and the epidemic is concentrated on large northern cities because studded tires are used longer in the north.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Ola posted:

Yeah it's a dumb argument. If had tripled the speed limit and crashed on fresh street tires, I'm sure he would blame the lack of race compounds in modern street tires.

No, the argument makes completely sense. If you plan to drive fast make sure you have good tires. They were driving that fast because they knew they could drive the corner that fast. Unfortunately they didn't realize they had ancient tires. Frankly, I'm not surprised they made that mistake. If you are the kind of guy that likes to drive fast in Carrera GT how often would you drive in cars that didn't have brand new race-spec tires. They probably didn't even remember that tires could be bad.

This discussion reminded me of those iconic videos of cars sliding around in Northwest. I have driven on similar roads covered in wet ice doing 60+ km/h, under the legal limit. But my car had fresh Nokia Hakkapeliittas with studs, so I could sense that the road was slippery but I was always in control.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Modus Man posted:

We have a 99 jimmy that I put Chinese tires on the rear of, and it reminds me of the video where they put donuts on the rear of a c63amg. The 99 Jimmy is not a vehicle capable of breaking the speed limit to begin with but with these pieces of poo poo I slow down for every minor curve and take on/off ramps like a 90 year old lady. They lose traction with no provocation and I would just get rid of them if it wasn't a third vehicle that hardly gets used.

How are the front tires on the Jimmy, or are they a different size? I believe the usual recommendation it to put the better tires on the back.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Took them 3 years to accidentally use the turn signal on a BMW.

Or no one considered it suspicious when they couldn't see the signal.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Uthor posted:

I was fixing my dad's fence and needed to tighten a nut. We both go into the garage. I grab his socket set and a properly sized socket. He grabs the smallest adjustable wrench he owns. Dude, wtf? The proper tool is right there!

Using a socket set usually requires opening a box of some sort. It's a hassle.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

What a coincidence, just today I attended a board meeting for a small airport and one issue we discussed was the army's plans to use the airport for exercise. All the anguish thinking about what all those APCs and SPGs well do to our pristine gravel runways. And secretly hope they'll ruin the tarmac runways and will have to rebuild them.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Galler posted:

They can also freak out in a really hilarious way (to those that haven't dumped a shitload of money into them)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpsMkLaEiOY

Aren't CO detectors supposed to be installed low on the wall?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

A friend and his brothers have mounting and balancing equipment they keep in their parent's garage. They do the tires to practically everyone that knows them. Biggest problem seems to be the mountain of old tires they are left with.

Couple weeks ago I went to tire shop for balancing because I wasn't able to visit my friend. Didn't fix the shaking. I just should have found a way to have the balancing done by someone that has his heart in it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

I remember some researchers tested this by building a bike that had another set of wheels above the normal wheels touching them. These would spin at the same speed in opposite direction to nullify the gyroscopic effect and it was still rideable pretty normally.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

For me that looked like a 10-lug wheel converted to 5-lug by drilling out the old lug holes and attaching a rear plate to it. Even the center hole seems wrong size.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Anyone tried a battery powered snow blower? They seem to be a decent option as long as the working area isn't too large.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Powershift posted:

Most batteries go to poo poo when it gets cold :shrug:

I don't know if anyone makes a 220v snowblower, but you can't pull enough amperage off of 110 to do gently caress all.

The magazine reviews I've seen have been mostly positive. I think the idea is you bring the batteries from inside and they keep warm during the operation.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Combat Theory posted:

Illegal.

Anything that is not

-low beam
-high beam
-parking light
-fog light

Is classified as "Zusatzscheinwerfer", which means "additional light" the technical requirements for the light source are the same as for the beams, so any source other than halogen will require an automatic height adjustment system and a cleaning system.

Additionally they fall under specific adjustment requirements just like the fog lights and beams and may not be installed above the height of the main headlights.

Does that also apply if the LED bar is used as a extra high beam? Because those are legal in Finland and I would think the legislation has been harmonized. Also automatic height adjustment doesn't matter much with high beams.

About cleaning system, headlight washers are only needed with low beams that emit more than 2000 lumens. This results in the recent tendency of manufacturers limiting the lights to below that limit so they don't need to invest in washers.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

mischief posted:

I will always have an old Readers Digest story in my mind when I handle any chainsaw. Guy was cutting trees in the middle of God drat nowhere and hit some barbed wire or fencing that had grown into the wood and cut essentially one half of his circulatory system in his neck, then proceeded to wrap himself up in his work clothes and walk half naked to the highway to flag down help.

I've read the same story and it has been over 20 years ago. Never could forget it either.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Humbug posted:

Wouldn't that be a lot easier to remove with a metal disintegration machine? I guess that method isn't too well known and doesn't make money for that machinist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbeKxFBZrF8

I think those had other issues, busted threads or something. Only few of the holes had junk in them and he redoes all of them.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

What caliber is the "barrel extension/flash suppressor"? That poster required quite a bit of staring at to comprehend the full stupidity.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

I never would have thought it, but of course you can put the crumble zone in the middle on a pickup.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Of course, saying that out loud, I'm either missing something really obvious, or Tesla has already been doing this, or Elon isn't as smart as Joe Rogan probably thinks he is.

That's exactly what they do.

Tesla’s Deep Learning at Scale: Using Billions of Miles to Train Neural Networks

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

People keep talking about a fleet of non-owned, subscription based EV driverless cars that can come pick you up and take you home while simultaneously sneering at public transit. A bum is going to poo poo in a driverless car within hours of it becoming available, at least a bus driver can kick them off

After every passenger leaves, a hyperspectral camera takes a photo of the back seat and if anything unusual shows up the car steers to the nearest cleaning service and bills the customer.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

Not car related but holy hell repairing a Dyson vacuum. Apparently some engineer really loves torx given there were 20 of them. Yeah, ok, let me bust out the T-8 for about that last one.

And the part that failed was held in with a tiny phillips. :v:

Where does the dislike for torx come from? It was the first good fastener standard and everything should use it, except for the applications more suitable for the common hex nut. The older standards are inferior and the newer ones are too rare and not enough of improvement over torx. All slot, phillips and hex sockets should be thrown in the Mount Doom.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

H2SO4 posted:

These have to be one of the worst loving ideas ever.

Surprisingly they feel like the best air dryers, except maybe for properly powerful old school hot air blowers. But they probably require a sink design where there won't be loose water on the air path. Still prefer the cloth towel roll models, whenever they aren't jammed. They should be kept unlocked so I can try fix them.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

xzzy posted:

Or gently caress lifting cars at all and install a pit.

In the eighties we had a stairwell going in the underground lined with concrete walls. This made pretty nice car pit, except it was a pit too wide for normal cars. So my dad or grandpa built a support out of 4x4 beams next to one of the walls.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

I guess the lesson here is that it's not enough to make sure all tires have proper pressure. You also need to test the TPMS, probably by lowering the pressure on each tire one by one and check that you receive the alerts.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

I'd argue a reason enough not to use "jerry rig" is that the term doesn't make sense. Jerry rigging and German engineering feel orthogonal. I understand jerry rigging as a field repair that does the necessary, whereas German engineering is a too complicated solution that fails in the field. The nazis lost because they didn't jerry rig enough.

NoWake posted:

yup, not much else to do at this point but go home for the rest day/week/career

How does the insurance payment compare against the expense of finding, hiring and training a new employee. I would think someone who has hosed up this bad to be highly sought after in the work force, there's at least one gently caress up he won't commit again.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

PBCrunch posted:

On the subject of Audi UFO brakes, has any (overcomplicating German) manufacturer ever tried anything with stacked brake discs? Like inner and outer brake discs, each with its own caliper. Or with one caliper with four pads in it somehow?

No point doing that, normal braking systems have been able to lock the wheels since forever.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

namlosh posted:

I did not think I would read these words together ever

For a short while I worked at a pallet warehouse operated by a company that used to be a trucking company. One story by the old workers that stuck was a head gasket repair done in the middle of Kazakhstan desert. A suitable head gasket material was cardboard box, lasted until the next bigger town.

The company rec room still had posters from their glory stays, like modern European trucks on a road in a Kazakh desert. A "road" being the tire tracks in the desert sand.

The weirdest feature of the warehouse was all the floor space taken by a bunch of fancy leather furniture between the stacks of pallets. The company was storing the furniture for the US embassy in Moscow. In Helsinki. I guess that is the closest to Russia you would dare to leave that kind of furniture unattended.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Oh I've been seeing these guys for years driving south through or from Colorado. Always three cars. Sometimes with appropriate tow cars, usually not.

Why would they limit to three? You could tow a dozen with this method.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

If you put another tow vehicle about 2/3 the way down the train, you could go even longer

Right, just turn on the engine and drop a brick on the pedal, it will help along the way!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

I hope I one day find a picture of my dad's forestry setup from the 80s. He had a tiny Terri 30 forestry machine. He hauled it with Opel Record and a small single axle trailer. He put the Terri on the trailer and the Terri's own trailer rode behind. I think he was stopped only once by police in the boonies.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Trucks need payload visualization instead of numbers. "This is how high you can pile bricks/gravel on the bed and stay within limits."

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Computers are so important nowadays I would hate to think what it would feel like without 25 years of experience as IT professional. How do people survive?!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Tell me you failed high school physics without telling me...

Well that does solve much of the difficulty of backing a trailer.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Well, one of them.
Turning while backing might be a problem. Or going forward, for that matter.

If the wheels are on casters like it looks like that particular aspect isn't a problem.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Messadiah posted:

my only thought is possibly for filming? Bike in the middle and equipment/cameras/people to the sides? Which might also explain why it is the way it is and shouldn't ever be driven on public roads?

I doubt it would work for filming, it probably swivels too violently in turns.

But after trying to GIS those pictures I've learned that "swivel wheel trailers" are a real product. Usually they are shorter ones with one or two swivel wheels, designed for carrying bikes or golf carts at the back of RVs.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

I would love to see this thing roll

They should install a crane on the bed.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

I think my list of accidental spins is 180°, 270° and 180°, so no full spins for me. And "accidental" in the sense I was asking for it every time.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

That reminded me of a friend's experience driving a '94 Jaguar XJ6 on winter roads. They were traveling in traffic on a straight road at constant speed, when suddenly, without him being aware of anything he had done, they were traveling backwards before sliding into a ditch.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Ruflux posted:

The one time I honestly lost control of a car was back in 2014 when I was doing the slippery course part of my license and we had to do repeated runs through a short cone section. The instructor basically just told me to go faster and eventually to not brake at all before I reach the cones because the whole idea was to find the point at which you simply don't have enough traction to make the turn through the cones cleanly.

This is just like how my first 180 happened. We were doing swerves over a wet, plastic skid pad. I had managed well enough that the instructor wanted me to try it at faster speeds. The last attempt was at 50km/h.

The problem was that my family's old Saab had a sticky speedo and the needle wouldn't climb fast enough during the acceleration section. My idea was to accelerate to above 50 so the speedo would drag the needle with extra force and then I would slow down. With the result that I don't actually know how fast I was driving. I went over the braking section fast enough I barely managed to touch the pedal, then I turned, spun immediately, slid backwards over the skid pad and on to the dry tarmac. That let out quite a screech from the tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Large Testicles posted:

anyone have any idea what it's like to get the equivalent of a commercial driver's license in Europe or Australia? The US is just a written test, a practical and a physical exam but I'd imagine over 98% of drivers go to school for it.

In Finland it varies quite a bit between different license classes. You first need B-license. Upgrading it to C1 requires 3 hours of drive training and C 10 hours. C1->C is 7 hours, C->CE, the semitruck class requires 30 hours. For theory instuction B to C1 requires 2 hours, other upgrades are 10 to 15 hours.