Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
There is an easy solution for this problem. Inspection places must be separate from repair shops, they will just make you bring it back for re-inspection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

DamnGlitch posted:

Good news! When it’s privatized you dont get a choice, especially when all the shops stop doing it because they were getting 1 dollar a car so there’s three in the whole loving city that still do it.

Simple, require inspection to be done at a licensed place and only allow licenses for places that don't do repairs.

SlowBloke posted:

That is how works in Italy and let me tell you, it's incredibly hard to make it fail, almost making it mandatory to pass to not lose customers. I think I had my first inspection on the swift with busted o2 sensors, running almost 100% petrol in the chamber, and still passed(after the inspection shop made the car run for half an hour idle to be hot enough to fit in the correct values).

That's how it works in Finland too and we don't have that problem. My previous car failed inspection maybe 1 in 3 times. The government just needs to investigate any place that doesn't fail a certain percentage of cars, and then revoke the license if there isn't a drat good explanation.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

What's the best way to store tires? I don't got room indoors so I raised them up, stacked them and put a tarp over.

Motonet has couple different models of wheel stands. The 30€ model is probably best for the wheels.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Next step, build a winch and crane to lift them.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

I guess it does something. And probably was readily at hand.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

madeintaipei posted:

I've heard horror stories about the fragility of manual wiper blades, and some more about vacuum operated wipers' effectiveness, but the electric wiper never gets any shade thrown upon it.

That brought back memories of my childhood on the farm and our Zetor tractor. The rear window had a manually operated wiper. Attached to a huge rusty nail that poked through the cabin and was bent down to form a handle. The pointy end inside of course, how else could it get through the cabin wall. I know where it resides nowadays, should go check if it still has the same handle.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

bull3964 posted:

So, you have to have a rigorous and specific inspection code with independent government run inspection facilities in order to do this right. This is all complicated by the state nature in the US where every state and even county can have different laws. Here's another way laws can lag. Emissions laws in PA are really centered around the idea of smog and local air pollution. Because of that, only 25 of the most populous out of 67 counties in PA require emissions testing on vehicles.

There's no need to use government run inspection facilities, they just can't be allowed to do repairs.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The question is the funding.

If all a shop does is vehicle safety inspections, it's not going to be profitable and no one is going to do it.

There are hundreds of inspection locations in Finland and they seem to operate profitably just fine. They can manage with minimal personnel and equipment, the customer base is pretty guaranteed and it's difficult to reduce prices significantly by competitors

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Fifty Three posted:

Ftfy

Fondly remembering the goon who proudly posted here about intentionally using their highbeams at all times

At least I'm not the only one who thinks this way. The official position of the Finnish Automotive Club is that on a freeway that is going straight or curving to the left there is no need to turn off high beams since the oncoming traffic is so far away to the side. Only on right curves is it necessary to switch to low beams. Another angle to think about this is what is the highest speed you can drive with low beams only and do you slow down below that speed everytime there is oncoming traffic?

I'm not sure how much the US high beam pattern differs from EU lights, but I would assume not significantly.

It's easy to test how big issue the high beams are. When you are driving on a dark freeway with low traffic just keep your high beams on and look at the lights of oncoming traffic and when they flash their high beams you can judge yourself how blinding they are. I've had semitrucks turn on their roof high beams numerous times and those are a non-issue. At freeway distances the semis are less blinding than car low beams at two lane roads.

chrisgt posted:

I don't know if it's the auto high beams or that people are just assholes, but when I'm in my truck I feel like people haul up on me with high beams on all the time at night. Fortunately my truck has the brightest loving LED reverse lights on a switch, that usually gets their attention and turn the high beams off.
It also has four hella 5000s up front, so come at me with your stupid high beams

Those don't sound like auto high beams. I've read a lot of car magazine reviews that addresses them and pretty much a standard complaint is that the high beams turn off too early when approaching a car from behind.

Another thing the reviews address is the speeds where the auto high beams operate. If they turn on around 30km/h they compliment, 40km/h they consider so and so, 60km/h earns a demerit and complaint.

Saukkis fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Raluek posted:

lol, im pretty sure you are the one he was talking about, my dude

I know. I meant me and the chief instructor of the Automobile Club.