Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Rujo King posted:

Man, gently caress Holden, go Ford!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgOxWPGsJNY

Whee!

The first generation mustangs still kill more people per year in rear end collision than that little pinto incident.
http://forums.mustangworks.com/f10/safety-issue-64-70-mustangs-21016/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Method Loser posted:

I dunno, if that event happened like the other he was describing, if the nut and hub were still attached to the wheel, well, I think the nut did its' job, and was probably put on properly (or terribly hosed up enough to break a hub? I don't think so though.) Of course you can't tell why the gently caress the wheel just pops right off that 911 in the video so whatever, probably some stupid poo poo like improper tightening. But 450ftlbs on one of those nuts? Jesus. Talking about spinning a tire against concrete when the car is fully resting upon the ground, that's crazy.

You have someone in the car apply the brakes.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Nathan Explosion posted:

This is the exact logic Ford used with the Pinto and its magical exploding fuel tank. People still remember the Pinto for that to this day.

If the problem with that gun became well know it could be the end of that manufacturer.

but more people died from the same thing in the first gen mustangs

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Exit Strategy posted:

In fact, an NDA was NOT part of my payout. I am free to badmouth ATI as much as I please.

Edit: Also, they DID issue a recall. Turns out ATI had bought its bolts from overstock on a batch made by SIG for the US Army. Ended up with some 250k bolts going back to the factory.

I assume ATI said give him whatever he asks for we will just add it to the claim were filing against SIG.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Everyday Lurker posted:

Reminds me of a 68 or 69 F100 that had the gas tank situated right behind the bench seat. With the gasket around the fuel filler neck flaking off, you could see how the neck ran into the cab and straight into the tank.

I always wondered, "Who the hell thought this was a good idea?"

More people have died in fires cause by being rear-ended in the 64 thru 70 Mustang than the Pinto.
http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500164_162-47539.html

otaku69
May 18, 2003

If you look at the last photo you can see more re-bar buried in that sand on the right. As for the car being totaled I doubt it, from what can be seen in the photo's it looks like two new seats and a rear window, the mystery is the floor-pan and the drive train.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

IPCRESS posted:

Near total failure of the ROPS :stare:

I expect there'll be a few interesting questions asked of the manufacturer abour that.

E: Unless it's the best forced perspective chalk drawing ever.

I thought the rollers on those were filled with water if so leaning to far to one side could tip it over.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

4 "mounts" in total, you can see them in the picture I posted above. 3 on one side, the upper and lower struts, the point on the frame rail (the only one of of the 4 that is filled but it's the softest of the bunch) and one on the transmission. The rail mount (bottom left in that picture) usually starts sagging at around 30k if you haven't taken the slack out else where with dog bones or filling the others.

You can call it whatever you like but I know when I go to the dealer to buy a "motor mount" they'll ask me which of the 4 I need and if it's a Neon you should probably just buy all 4.

Edit: Also this vvv

the neon only has 3 top passenger side bottom passenger side and drivers side transmission.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

i had an srt-4, and i had no idea about that hidden one, it was never talked about on the other forums i went to.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Not redneck enough. Use a powder nailer to make that hole.

better yet mount the drill to a log and then lower the truck onto the drill, I call it a truckpress

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

It's a shame it's a '98. Dually Accords are rare as hen's teeth, but they switched from a D44 to a D35 rear axle in '96.

I would of totally put the dually axle on the front .

otaku69
May 18, 2003

spog posted:

Okay pop quiz. What's do these icons mean?

The clues I will give you:

Rover 75
Appeared 1 hour after I bought the car from a dealer, when I was performing an emergency stop (wanted to test the brakes). I released the brake pedal, the front rose back up, the icons appeared
Stayed lit for the rest of journey home (3miles)
Doesn't appear in the users handbook anywhere.
Isn't the Top Gear logo next to the Cat in the Hat's hat.

time machine Illuminati activated

otaku69
May 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Looks like a Ferrari 458.

a horribly molested one

otaku69
May 18, 2003
I don't think I have ever seen washers used on a lug nut, is that a NHRA thing?

otaku69
May 18, 2003

I have seen this for years and always wondered if he lost his hand or if that was the piston that fell in front of the bike?

otaku69
May 18, 2003

boxen posted:

Dibs on the keys to this for the zombie apocalypse.

I thought that hedge rows traditionally had there branches weaved together to form living fence's ?

otaku69
May 18, 2003

that looks like pot metal

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Eh, maybe both. TBH I don't know what material is on the surface of the guide; it feels like glass-filled nylon but it could also be some type of ceramic, I suppose. In any case it has a groove worn into it now and the blade sparks if you put any forwards pressure on it.

I could easily fill the thread up with dumbshit little things I witness on a daily basis. A few months ago a student ruined one of our drill press chucks by attempting to drill a hole through a piece of plywood with no bit installed. Just tightened the chuck closed all the way and smashed the pointy-looking part into the wood over and over. Earlier this week someone's layup of foam blocks blew apart on the lathe and flew across the shop because they were holding the blocks together with masking tape. Before Thanksgiving a student got a nasty laceration on their hand because they tried to drill a hole in a piece of sheet metal while holding it down with their palm. The list just goes on and on.

Maybe you should find a new profession?

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Eh, the dumb students are still the minority, and the good ones are fun to work with. Also I don't have to be back on campus until the 24th of January. I'll deal :smugdog:

OK I thought they were all like that, also in the mid 80's I had a shop teacher who was always going on about "safety first" cut all his fingers off with a circular saw with no guard on it.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Darchangel posted:

That's mainly because the caliber reflects only the diameter of the slug itself, and not the length or the sizing/chambering of the actual shell. More or less. Because naming standards on ammunition are far from standardized.
It's still stupid that you can fire .38 Special in a .357 Magnum (because they are both 0.357" in diameter)

this is some copy pasta
460S/W<--454 casul<--45longcolt<--45 coltgovt

44 magnum<--44 special<--44 russian

357 maximum<--357 magnum<--38 special<--38 long colt<--38 short colt

10mm<--40S&W

327 mag<--32 H&R mag<--32 S&W long<--32 S&W short

this is of course most applicable to revolvers and single shots like the TC Encore/contender etc.
and there is this thing
https://lockedback.com/m47-medusa-revolver-shoot-100-cartridges-1-handgun/

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Memento posted:

The police here in Australia announced they weren't going to do breath testing stations anymore, and then went "uhh, but, umm, we totally trust Australian drivers to be responsible and not take advantage of this", demonstrating they know nothing about Australian drivers.

I think the cost of getting drunk in Australia should be a good enough deterrent against drunk driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otaku69
May 18, 2003
they are designed to