Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I always found this one interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7sRrC2Jpp4
It's a guy talking about kickback, and demonstrating how to avoid it

It should be cued up (Edit: it's not, go to 2:30) to the part that was really interesting though, which is where, even though he knew exactly what was going to happen, he still ended up almost losing a finger.

Table saws are dangerous if you're not careful, and I say that as someone who has had 16 stitches and 2 flayed open knuckles because of one. The only reason I still have my right pointer and middle fingers is because of dumb luck that the saw teeth never caught a ligament or bone, just flesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Vanagoon posted:

Drugs and/or alcohol must have been involved in this incident, because if not, then h o w. Certainly you'd notice and do something about your fingat being disintegrated if you were in your right mind.

I'd be willing to bet it wasn't ground off, but rather he was the victim of the worst paper cut in history (the belt acting as a band saw)

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Colostomy Bag posted:

The whole bosch/sawstop thing is a good read for those interested.

Got a link?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Sagebrush posted:

in my case it's a pair of flush cutters with a pair of semicircles burned out of the blades from where I tried to cut through a pair of wires without disconnecting them from the power supply :jeb:
You have to look at it optimistically. Now you just have an an extra pair of wire strippers. I think I have 2 like this unfortunately.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Apologies if it's been posted but....

Sorry, I think that loops back around to being awesome.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Double cross posting this, just to break up the horribly depressing turn this thread has taken.

Can anyone explain what the hell happened? (also, I'm guessing '68 dart?)

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

PainterofCrap posted:

Horrible Traffic Failures: Port Richmond (Philadelphia) Edition.

Now what?

That's Frankford, I'm currently sitting 5 blocks from that intersection.
(for non-Philly residents, Port Richmond is relatively up and coming as far as real estate goes. Frankford is decidedly not.)

xzzy posted:

The real problem is that that area has three streets named Buckius and this particular version is only about two blocks long and google maps can't find it. :colbert:

Guessing it used to be a single contiguous street and the building of the highway and railways cut it up and no one ever bothered to rename any of the segments.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0086526,-75.0739246,3a,75y,257.86h,83.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgxChWmToDEkjCICAn8TLpg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Pretty much. 95 really hosed over the riverfront neighborhoods.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 17, 2019

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

wargames posted:

Drunk drivers are a failure right?

https://i.imgur.com/2293BE7.mp4

Forza Horizon has taught me that's the proper way to take roundabouts.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Acid Reflux posted:

This is less "funny submission" and more "for gently caress's sake please go check your jack stands right now", but -

Harbor Freight Recalls Jack Stands That Could Suddenly Collapse

I have a set that looks exactly like the grey 3 ton ones, but the number is different. I'll still probably buy new ones anyway though.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The ones I have (69597) aren't even listed as an option. I have no idea if they are safe or not.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

That appears to be 2 different loads (the drive by and the crash), but holy poo poo I hope that guy's insurance was paid up.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I went to Ireland last year and I was afraid to rent a manual because while I drive one every day, I thought that being on the opposite side of the road and also having to learn to shift with my left hand would be too much to process.

As it was I loved driving in Ireland and I only got honked at once in 8 days because I hosed up at a roundabout and cut someone off, otherwise it was awesome.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

StormDrain posted:

Hell yeah manual rental in Ireland buddy. I only remember stalling out leaving the lot, and the rest was gravy. I read beforehand that they have some of the worst drivers in Europe, behind Italy, Spain and Greece and I think that put me on alert, but overall it was fine. Some of the best navigational signage I've seen as well, although heavy on text due to having two languages.

No I totally chickened out and got an automatic.

I found Ireland a dream to drive in. I was in Naples about 15 years ago, that was loving terrifying. I had planned on driving to Rome from Naples, after the taxi ride from the airport to the hotel where we a) almost ran over about 400 people on scooters b) narrowly dodged a car fire in the middle of the highway and c) nearly hit about 400 pedestrians I cancelled the car rental and bought train tickets.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 15, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

No, urban Italians are expert precision drivers. You could put a Roman 16-year-old on an autocross course blindfolded and they would get #1 in raw time.

Floridans have ego but no ability; Italians have ability and ego.

Yeah that cab driver, while insane, was an amazing driver.
My biggest shock was the car fire. There’s a 6 lane highway that has walls on both sides (possibly the a3 based off of google maps) and the car was on fire in the middle lane going towards the coast. This would have been probably around 3 in the afternoon.
There wasn’t a traffic jam. Everyone just dodged out of the way at the last second. It was insane. I drive every day in Philly, the north east corridor is known for its rear end in a top hat aggressive drivers. It is nothing compared to Italy.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 16, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Krakkles posted:

I mean, I stopped watching Roadkill quite awhile ago because they're pretty clear they have lovely opinions about race, so ... good luck

Any further info on this? I can't find anything on google about it.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

No pics, but a friend of a friend has had a truck from the mid 60's that he had on bags, and had the whole thing lowered so it pretty much was scraping the road.

In Philly, our roads are loving awful. If they aren't filled with pot holes, they are graded and waiting to be re-paved, so you spend pretty much all of your time dodging manhole covers that can be as much as 2" above the road surface.

You already see where I'm going with this, but somehow he wasn't paying attention to the fact that he was driving on a graded road, didn't raise the truck and managed to total the truck on a manhole cover. I know he bent his frame, I'm not sure how much else was hosed.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 15, 2022

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Never have I ever installed an aftermarket stereo to find that it didn't fit, so I didn't beat the poo poo out of the structural member keeping it from fitting with a hammer and a piece of wood so it would fit better, and then find out the other side of that structural member was attached to the heating core by the fact that my floor mats were now a weird neon green color due to antifreeze leaking into the car.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Krakkles posted:

There's a bunch of cars in the beginning of that video that appear to have landed on rocks or tree roots after being thrown by a tornado - was that after a natural disaster, or is Philly just like that?
https://maps.app.goo.gl/QiXg3KxpmVHMCFgy7
Looks like the property owner put the logs and rocks there so people wouldn't park there.
(I'm currently sitting 10 minutes away from that intersection!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

"We need to get this wheel balanced. Get me the wheel weights please"
"How many?"