Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Powershift posted:

I have a camera with LEDs that plugs into a laptop that would fit through that hole. I think i paid $40, it's a seriously good investment.

I have this same one. Do not discount the usefulness of this cheap device. Not every person wants to buy a professional tool. It has a long USB cable

I have used mine to look:

inside combustion chambers of engines with large enough spark plug holes

at the top of pistons in engines with spark plug holes too small

for an obstruction in a household heating system

to inspect a chimney

deep into an inner fenderwell attached to a magnetic tool to retrieve a lost tool

into a bathroom sink roof vent (it is water resistant)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
3rd'ing the 302 (5.0L) ford. All the roller blocks with the E7TE heads and forged pistons (87-92) were superbly durable from the factory. I tore down several that had 300k miles (480000 km) that had fresh looking cross hatching and nice internal clearances.

They could take a beating from boy racers running poorly installed/tuned nitrous, superchargers, etc that no engine had cause to survive. Many a mishap fixed with fresh head gaskets.

This was just one of the aspects that gained them favor with that crowd. As a GM guy who actually delved into that realm, it was a hard pill to swallow.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

'Aircraft Components'...

Let's just call them pipe or tanks.

The press have made the whole plane/train crash thing so sensationalized that the respective industries have to downplay everything. Just like lives lost to guns compared to all the other forms of death. As if these two forms of conveyance have some multiplier that increases the value or each dollar/life lost over other forms because of news sensationalism.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I too am curious about this. Did the world's most expensive large object air filter (a.k.a. intercooler) catch all the bits?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Huggable Bear King posted:

yeah how long does a transmission last in a race car? Like two races and it's done?

I like that this person can rock an escalade but can't buy a headlight

This is what happens when someone who is living beyond their means purely for appearance has something go wrong with their vehicle. I bet it looks perfectly normal in the trailer park or parked in front of the projects that they live in. They will have to sell some of their excessive jewelry or ridiculous sports apparel to cover the cost of repairs I guess.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

veedubfreak posted:

As with most everything in the US, the people who really need good insurance (read: lovely drivers) don't carry it, or have the bare minimum.

Some fuckhead out here drove down the shoulder of 225 on Tuesday during rush hour, sideswiped multiple cars, caused 4 separate accidents, then abandoned the car at one of the light rail stations and got on the train. The car was registered to him. This is the kind of stupidity that makes me lose hope in the human race.

http://www.9news.com/story/traffic/2014/07/15/i-225-car-crash/12667445/

Yes but did he diffuse the bomb, save the girl, keep the bus above 60, get to the chapel on time, get the job!?!

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Krakkles posted:

Ditto. I'm glad I'm replacing it preemptively.

Krakkles posted:

Stock 8.8 carriers are weak, so they say...

I have watched a couple of 5.0L mustangs make wheels up 9 second passes on stock 31 spline truck 8.8 carriers. Ford factory 4:10 gears and Moser axles with c-clip eliminator kits. I am the one that repacked the LSD clutches every month on them. Ran for two seasons until spider gears died. One got an auburn pro the other got a spool after that.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Krakkles posted:

While I 100% believe you, it's possible a couple of different things are happening there:
  • they got lucky
  • axles and c-clip eliminator kit lessened some loading that would've caused a failure
  • different load types - my jeep will never see a 9 second pass, ever, but it will bounce up and down over rocks, load the rear end up for much longer than a wheelie lasts, etc.

I totally follow you and all of that makes perfect sense.

8.8, 12 bolt GM, Dana 44 stockers probably all not ideal as REAR for 4x4s.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I tell people that 5S stands for:

poo poo
Shinola
Spread
Smash
Steal

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Bugdrvr posted:

I found a long handle MAC ratchet stuck between the washer bottle and body of a 944 that came into the shop a few months ago. I pulled it out with a magnet and tossed it in my junk cart because it is kind of rusty and we don't have a MAC person. A month or so after that I pull in another 944 and find...a long handle MAC ratchet stuck in between the washer bottle and body. It's also kind of rusty and sitting next to the other one on my junk cart.

One of the Big-O tire shops in Cheyenne, WY has a huge jar of objects pulled from punctured tires. The amount of tools in the jar is astounding.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

The Midniter posted:

Why use the handbrake when moving uphill from a dead stop when you can just rev to 4k and dump the clutch?? :v:

My 1993 Subaru Loyale has hill hold for this kind of thing.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I always think of that famous air race video (posted here plenty) with the prop failure where the engine goes "VRIP!" after the prop disintegrates.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I prefer:

Air Compressor: A device that converts electricity into an infinite amount of noise and a very finite amount of air. Used for limiting conversations to small blurbs between air tool operations and compressor tank charging cycles.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Slow is Fast posted:

Oh it's definitely a blanket statement and I've met some good people at autox, but holy hell, when it's bad... It's really bad.

I saw this happen once. Truck was driving down the road with a bit of yellow nylon rope dangling underneath and it caught the driveshaft and in an instant crushed the frame.

80's fullsize GM truck. The amount of dust, dirt and mud that shot in every direction was reminiscent of seeing cars wreck at an intersection.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

BloodBag posted:

That's a corvette. You can see the torque tube behind the engine going to the transaxle at the back.
e: from another angle

I think it would make a nice quad ride

Platystemon posted:

Did someone say “flames”?

14 INCH SLIT posted:

That's not a horrible electrical failure, this is a horrible electrical failure.

what every VW owner WISHES would happen after the 13th trip to the dealer

Warthog posted:

I am a good mechanic :downs:

I sent this to a friend who is a manager at Brakes Plus, his response:

quote:

Did they go to brakes plus? If so that is the "plus".

Ferremit posted:

I can't ever see that working- Toyota deliberately dumbed down the temp gauges in their cars for YEARS because retards would see it fluctuate with engine load and outsid temp and freak out and call the dealer.

So we ended up with a gauge that shows normal temp from 60-100 degrees c and only starts to move into the red when the temps already hit 120 and climbing

My new forester is like this. Tons of information displays, when you first start the car you get a blue thermometer. Pretty much nothing else ever. Even the gas gauge is a useless set of 8 bars. At least the info center tells you range of many miles you have left. Many a time have I sailed in from out of state after the zeros have been replaced with dashes.

spog posted:

Okay pop quiz. What's do these icons mean?

The clues I will give you:

Rover 75
Appeared 1 hour after I bought the car from a dealer, when I was performing an emergency stop (wanted to test the brakes). I released the brake pedal, the front rose back up, the icons appeared
Stayed lit for the rest of journey home (3miles)
Doesn't appear in the users handbook anywhere.
Isn't the Top Gear logo next to the Cat in the Hat's hat.

Your free trial of Zuma has expired. Please pay for shareware.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Godholio posted:

There does seem to be kind of a theme to your posts here and in the VW thread. I've kind of been waiting for you to post a shot of you licking a VW logo while lying on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace in one of the picture threads.

Don't. If you make this irony joke, then Bill Maher will use it on his show as an example of how "whack-job" and "unbalanced" car guys/VW people are totally not getting the original joke himself, the whole time he and his fans think they are so clever.

Budget Monty posted:

So I heard a loud crash outside our shop today. I go outside to see what it was, and look across the alley that divides our shop from the Hyundai dealership shop...

Similar happened to an acquaintance's then brand new Mitsubishi 3000GT at a tire shop while getting fitted with customer wheels and tires. fell and landed clean on one side. They had a towing company show up, and OK'ed him to drag it out of the shop being careful not to damage their $3000 lift.

The tire companies insurance company sent it to a body shop that did a shoddy job. His dash rattled like a 30 year old farm truck. He had so many problems that in the end he sold it to a mechanic friend that has a JDM motor for it. As far as I know it is sitting under a car cover today for the majority of its 20 year life, right next to that JDM motor.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Exit Strategy posted:

I was looking through my Dropbox earlier today, and I know I've posted it in this thread before, but some people might not have seen it:

ATI-bolt.jpg

this is ATI-bolts.jpg

ATI is a Turkish company that cannot make shotguns or 22LR guns and has no business at all making AR15-anything.

http://www.americantactical.us

http://www.americantactical.us/142/catalog.html

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Apparently what works on cars doesn't always work on mining trucks:

Before these incidents are cleaned up, companies should fly people who were busted for cardinal safety rule violations to these places and parade them by before they filter into some other job and get people killed. Lots of dead people have prior horrible violations.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

StormDrain posted:

The most broken down car I've seen on the side of the road.

kastein posted:

I think that's the rear output but I could be wrong. Looks like the transmission crossmember failed and everything flopped down.

:gonk: Explorer

When I was building transmissions I saw a few failures like this. 99% time they came in on the hook fresh from whatever mud bog the driver was plowing through for kicks. So completely encased in mud.

In the postmortem the case usually just ahead of the transfer case adapter and the bell housing were both broken. This can cause a lot of, "how is all that broken poo poo even sitting at that angle?" moments.

But never on an explorer. Why? How? Who would even do this?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
This is hilarious
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=460_1470473770

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Geirskogul posted:

That's a much better picture than on Wiki. Thanks.

It's trajectory appears to be sending it at the car waiting at the stop sign.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Godholio posted:

In 2010, China had to buy its way into the diesel industry. Yeah, sounds like they're good to go on jets.

The first 60 seconds of this primer speaks volumes on that
http://www.topgear.com/videos/jeremy-clarkson/jeremy-and-james-china-part-12-series-18-episode-2

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

TotalLossBrain posted:

The oil passage hole for the crank end bearing is plugged by something. Maybe it's on purpose as it looks very smooth and uniform. But I don't see any other way that bearing could get lubrication.

Fake edit: It actually looks like someone filled it with JB Weld and sanded it smooth?

Even though it has been asserted that there is no oil system in this engine, on the left journal you will see a chamfered passage which appears to be for oil. It might be some sort of centrifugal drain back oil passage.

Either way, the passage you see and assume is filled is actually just where another bearing with a corresponding hole was laid during the build. Now I don't know if that would be a failure cause or not, but considering the kind of failure, I would put it on the a suspect list.

I do know that accidentally plugging oil feed holes on pressurized oil journal engines by accidentally laying a bearing in the wrong polarity is a sure way to wreck an engine.

I am guessing here that the bearings are made with the holes in both shell halves so that they can never be laid incorrectly but they do leave that mark that looks like a filled hole.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Sudo Echo posted:

Of course in Oakland all the rich folks up in the hills will be fine, it's just the lovely parts that will be washed away. Climate change is racist.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/comments/520gy4/look_i_found_the_washer/

where there is an interesting link:
https://turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/sites/default/files/Garrett_White_Paper_02_Burst__Containment.pdf

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1b8_1473696178

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I cannot stop watching. So cringeworthy (hydraulic press channel)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhSh_LEHvpo

oldie but goodie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWySdXedUiY
http://i.imgur.com/YDhLmfG.mp4

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

Sometimes you gotta drive the drat thing TOMORROW and two critical exhaust fasteners break off at 10pm.

(a friend found this on a vehicle he bought to part out. Fortunately, that makes it both not his problem, and not his work)

This isn't even the first time I have seen this. There is even an aftermarket company like HELP! that made a specialty set of those for JUST that purpose.

fake edit: Nickson made them
https://www.amazon.com/Nickson-17350-Clamp-Stud-1-3/dp/B000COX90M

then there is this company
http://www.studfix.com

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

joat mon posted:

After about 4 hours of soldering:

:spooky:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Look at all the kickstarter projects under the Design category. It's just teeming with useless wankery but because they have look m i n i m a l i s t people are falling over each other because it looks like good design.

I just remembered this:

Want to you use your wireless mouse while it's charging?

gently caress you buy another one

If you are the kind of idiot that can ignore the plethora of warnings to CHARGE YOUR loving MOUSE! then maybe you should have something else.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
There is, somewhere floating around the internet, a series of cars, pictures and videos where this was done and some of them the overlapping panels were joined with the glues that the OEMs use for attaching door skins, fenders, and other panels at the factory. Some were joined with liquid nail!

This is basically the same processes used to make most limousines. Scary stuff.

On another note...

"peekaboo"

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
karma looking' at a 2 for 1 on the river

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Left home for a meeting 10 minutes early in my 2009 Outback. 40 minutes for a 30 minute trip. 10 miles of gravel county road and then a short trip on the interstate into town. I get about 1 mile from the house and move to the edge of the road as a larger truck is coming the opposite direction.

Something must have fallen off a vehicle and migrated to the edge of the road. Still don't know what. I guess I got too close to the edge of the gravel road and found it. When I ran it over, I could hear it clap the underside of the fender a few times, but I could hear the air coming out fast. I can only see a chunk of it sticking out of the tire. What ever was flapping flew out/off. Can wait till I get another wheel, so when they knock the tire off, I can see what it was. I honestly think it was a tool like a screwdriver.

Was dressed in business attire, and still got it changed in 15 minutes, without getting dirty. Only 5 mins late into the meeting room. The boss says, "I was just about to ask where Tom was". Perfect timing.

New wheel is $130 delivered from eBay

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 21, 2016

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
2006 GMC Truck 101k miles on it. We get a little snow a few times each year do not live in a wet climate and we do not salt the roads here.

http://i.imgur.com/94Sl2Fg.mp4

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
EDIT:

fixed because I reposted this same event

B4Ctom1 posted:

Left home for a meeting 10 minutes early in my 2009 Outback. 40 minutes for a 30 minute trip. 10 miles of gravel county road and then a short trip on the interstate into town. I get about 1 mile from the house and move to the edge of the road as a larger truck is coming the opposite direction.

Something must have fallen off a vehicle and migrated to the edge of the road. Still don't know what. I guess I got too close to the edge of the gravel road and found it. When I ran it over, I could hear it clap the underside of the fender a few times, but I could hear the air coming out fast. I can only see a chunk of it sticking out of the tire. What ever was flapping flew out/off. Can wait till I get another wheel, so when they knock the tire off, I can see what it was. I honestly think it was a tool like a screwdriver.

Was dressed in business attire, and still got it changed in 15 minutes, without getting dirty. Only 5 mins late into the meeting room. The boss says, "I was just about to ask where Tom was". Perfect timing.

So here was the culprit

I asked Rick to save the offending item which I knew would be in the tire still. It looks much longer than it appears in the image, only 6" long. From what I can tell, it appears to be one of those T-handle combination screwdriver/wrench tools provided in someone else's tire change kit. Obviously with the wrench bit broken off, but you can still see the weld that was left over where it attached.

The tire-irony is not lost on me.

I intend to have that wheel patched and used as a full size spare as the spare tire well is sized to accommodate a full sized spare. Putting 60 miles (including 20 miles of sharp gravel road known to kill known good tires) on a safety donut was nerve wracking.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 30, 2016

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Cojawfee posted:

You posted that ten days ago.

edited to show the culprit because I forgot I posted the incident once already.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

http://i.imgur.com/EpXnv2D.mp4

Platystemon posted:

Badass. I’d repair anything important it damaged, then hang a frame over it in situ.

I drive trains for a living. I would definitely do this.

CommieGIR posted:

Sounded like an air start or a starter cartridge like on the Titan rocket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTJDI4bwtOM

There is a Bwoop sound when Anti Tank Guided Missiles and MANPADS missiles launch too. I doubt it is for the exact same reason.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

The last two pages have been, without question, the most boring pages of this entire thread.

Next up: everybody post about the dream you had last night and what your PC specs are.

Jump starting with AK-47's and their cleaning rods
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UBSFFy_xGs

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Vanagoon posted:

How can you say front wheel drive is not more efficient. You don't even need the back half of the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktlvQgngq90

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

B4Ctom1 posted:

EDIT:

fixed because I reposted this same event

B4Ctom1 posted:

So here was the culprit

I asked Rick to save the offending item which I knew would be in the tire still. It looks much longer than it appears in the image, only 6" long. From what I can tell, it appears to be one of those T-handle combination screwdriver/wrench tools provided in someone else's tire change kit. Obviously with the wrench bit broken off, but you can still see the weld that was left over where it attached.

The tire-irony is not lost on me.

I intend to have that wheel patched and used as a full size spare as the spare tire well is sized to accommodate a full sized spare. Putting 60 miles (including 20 miles of sharp gravel road known to kill known good tires) on a safety donut was nerve wracking.

I laughed because the other day I was using a chainsaw and picked up the chainsaw "scrench" and realized that was the object that killed my tire and wheel, not something from a car's tool kit as I previously assumed.

BTW they ended up replacing the tire this month under road hazard because their fix wouldn't hold air when it was cold out.