Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

kimbo305 posted:

since when have springs needed so few coils?

if they're mcpherson struts :ssh:

i've curbed my cars a few times, but that guy must have been hauling rear end when he did it :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sockington posted:

The PCV has to be changed you say? (250k MX6 V6)

running a bit rich, are we

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
My dad's F150 did that too. It was a lovely spark plug so it just separated from the ground/threaded portion. Easy fix, but damned if it didn't shake us up a bit when it blew. :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Either way, it's still :lol:. We're not talking about a GM dealership denying your warranty for a broken radio because you installed long-tube headers, we're talking about a car getting blacklisted because the owner threw a tune on it that added 70-100hp and blew the engine.

Yeah, I have trouble sympathizing with the guy. Nissan may be stingy with the GT-R's warranty but when you hamfistedly modify your engine and split the block....yeah.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

orange lime posted:

What is going on here? What is happening when the filter looks like it's burning up? Is that oil squirting out and then getting sucked back in/being burned off?

I dunno but if he took that stupid breather filter off and reconnected the PCV it probably wouldn't blow by so much.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

trouser chili posted:

I don't understand how that poo poo is legal. In Missouri (home of Bigfoot y'all!) bumper height cannot exceed 22 inches or some poo poo. The bumpers on that fucker are at my head. The upper one.

...and you just know that an inspections station is far more likely to bust your balls for having a lowered vehicle. :rolleyes:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

MonkeyNutZ posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clementine_Maersk
84,484hp

Although, this is wikipedia, it says the top speed is 256.1 knots (294mph)

quote:

Speed: 25.6 knots (maximum)
24.2 knots (cruising)

...but it says 25.6?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

trouser chili posted:

Honda never uses balance shafts? Bullshit. Every F and H motor out there has a pair of them. Although they don't seem that nessesary. I didn't bother with the balance shaft belt on the last timing belt job I did on my 1997 Accord sedan, just left it off. It's a little rougher than my 1997 Accord wagon, but not much. They're only for NVH anyway, they have nothing to do with protecting the rotating assembly.

I think B series do as well.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Nam Taf posted:

Mining accidents own:
:nws: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5H98kA2tqw :nws: (bad language, but it's a goddamn mine what do you expect)

OH gently caress indeed :aaa:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Bucephalus posted:

I graduated high school in 1990. My oldest son turns 19 in September. I hear Guns 'N' Roses, Whitesnake, etc. on the local "Classic Rock" station. :smith:

that doesn't bother me, at least not as much as the time i heard "smells like teen spirit" on the local adult contemporary station :smithicide:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Toucan Sam posted:

I'd be more worried about listening to the adult contemporary station.

yeah, because they totally aren't forced on you in every office in this blighted land

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
So is MEK any good at freeing stuck bolts? :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Browsing Youtube for rod knock videos I heard this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blGCJoWrwV0

:froggonk:

"I dunno if you can hear that..."

gently caress me, I heard it before he walked up to the back of the car with my speakers turned down. Just put it out of its misery already.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

meatpimp posted:

That's a picture of a horrible mechanical failure?

You didn't see the pieces flying everywhere? :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

dissss posted:

That happened to the rear mount on my DA Integra. And that was with the raging torque-monster that the B16a was.

Car actually still drove fine but eventually failed a safety inspection on it.

That seems to be a B-series thing. My B18 powered Integra's motor mount bushings were completely done in just a few years. Poly inserts help a lot. The vibration is sometimes annoying but it beats feeling your drivetrain thrashing around violently and wondering if this is the time your axles will snap.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Skyssx posted:

Mythbusters proved it was not possible to start a fire from friction between rubber and the road.

well if mythbusters covered it then

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
What the, I don't even.... :psyduck:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
So I see. I Tineye'd one of th pics and turned up a Russian site that has an awesome translation via Google: http://tinyurl.com/4encfp3

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I've long thought that skid control and inclement weather training should be a mandatory part of licensing process. Imagine the number of accidents that might be avoided...

~~*~~you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one~~*~~

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Fayez Butts posted:

They tend to have darker blacks and higher refresh rates :shobon:

They respond faster but the actual refresh rate is still 60Hz.

http://www.best-3dtvs.com/guides/what-does-600hz-sub-field-drive-mean/

Plasmas are cheap, that's their big advantage.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Skyssx posted:

They wear out in under 7 years, they run very hot, they're quite heavy compared to LCD sets, they absolutely vomit interference on the HF band, and apparently they don't work at high altitude.

You want to keep a TV for more than 7 years?

dissss posted:

But they still give a nicer picture, at least the better ones do.

Bolded the important part. The cheap ones are just awful and flicker (and now I know why :cool: )

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

EightBit posted:

What about the hole in my driveway?

Fill it with more cement, duh.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

So a Dodge Dakota came in to work earlier with a complaint of a horrible noise coming from the car. Apparently the guy took it to Les Schwab twice and they couldnt find a single thing wrong with his car. Pulling it in sounded amazing.

Stuff like this really irritates me. I don't expect anyone to bat 1.000 but how do you not find this with the wheel screaming like a cat in a blender? I may not know a lot about auto repair but I figure I have enough self interest to net let something like that slide.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

EightBit posted:

Threads like that make me believe in karma for a brief moment. That guy is such a tool it's hard to imagine how he got his car to 90,000 miles.

No poo poo. A Kia is too good for him...hell, a riding lawnmower is too good for him. :psypop:

HEY GENIUS: drat near every modern car manufacturer has made an interference engine with a timing belt. Guess you'd better sue all of them too!

What kind of stupid entitled oval office do you have to be to think that a timing belt every 60k and plugs every 15k isn't reasonable maintenance? Holy hell, just a few decades ago you'd be rebuilding the engine at 60k. Not to mention that looks more like detonation damage than valves and pistons meeting. I guess that's kinda moot now though.

Sorry, people like that just really push all the wrong buttons with me.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Why were your folks so hardcore about fenders?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
What kind of clutch is that? That's a lot of plates.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

lazer_chicken posted:

Perhaps it's a center diff from some kind of awd system?

That would make more sense but even so... :aaa:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

meatpimp posted:

People from other states are bad drivers. Just like people of other ethnicities are bad drivers. And other genders. Basically anybody not you is a bad driver.

Motronic posted:

I think we can all agree with this. Those of you who agree are also wrong, because it only applies to me, but at least you're close.

"Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?"

That's some loving truth on another level.

e: gently caress you evobatman

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

trouser chili posted:

Yeah, I had a 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 liter with a first gen A604 time bomb turning behind it. Got 150,000 miles out of it. I thought on several occasions it died, but it was always minor fixes. Got rid of the drat car after it stranded me 100 miles from home when the transmission fluid cooler lines ruptured suddenly. It was a pig to drive, but supremely useful vehicle.

We had pretty much the same vehicle with the same powertrain at one of my former jobs. It blew the coolant lines as well. At the time I thought it was because everyone who drove it beat on it mercilessly but maybe it's a thing beyond that. Who knows?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I guess that's not too surprising since the ABS solenoids and motor(s) probably need a fair amount of juice.

OTOH never doubt the ability of a short to pump ridiculous amounts of current through anything. I've had dealings with very low voltage things (we're talking a couple of millivolts at best) that were shorted and left the chassis of the device too hot to touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I guess that stainless steel braided clutch line wasn't such a great idea after all.

Well not when you connect it to a 12V line :v: