Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.
That's all good dude, its grind it to you find it!

You just made a new gear between first and second!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

Motronic posted:

I was so hoping I was right, but I just checked and the "new" APC bigger stuff like the Symetras absolutely are using the same drat batteries. That's just shameful.

I really thought I'd recalled them being built like proper datacenter UPSes.

I'll stick with my Liebert NXes.

It costs me bundle, but I replace all UPS batteries with Panasonic Fat-Tabs(TM) 12-8ah

Zero failures so far.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.
The sine wave output UPS's are more efficient though, and for modern PCs they are worth it, just for the reduction of stress on the computer PSU.

Anyway, sorry for the detail, post more broken poo poo!

oooops, he made it through though. Made a noise!

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

kastein posted:

Funny thing is that because of the rectifier design, a full-on squarewave UPS output is ideal for non power factor corrected PSUs. Stepped sine just sucks, but is better than sine.

For A-PFC, it depends on the design, I guess. Depending on how smart the controller is (if it's just reacting to input voltage change, or using a sine wave reference and a feedback loop to react to minor changes, really) it may or may not matter at all.

Yea I should have clarified my post. None sine wave inverters work best on power supplies that just have a simple input bridge and capacitor filter. In fact, those power supplies could run of DC without an issue.
PFC aware ones though, they can get all kinds of messed up with "modified sine wave" inverters. Which are really just a hacked up square wave.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

PBCrunch posted:

I plan on removing oil from warm engines in the future, this was only a test. I couldn't think of an easy way to warm up the skunky old oil in the jug. I will try pulsing the pump also.

If you can locate an actual pressure vessel, IE, old air compressor storage tank, it would work a lot better but you still gotta find a way to drain it heh. Or, use a flexible vane pump on the oil side, and just ignore the vacuum thing all together.

http://www.sccpumps.com/html/flex_impeller_pumps.html
The one of the right is perfect. 12 volts.

Also, now that i do a bit more research, perhaps a vane pump might be less prone to destroying itself. You want a fairly slow pump, but it must be able to self prime.. IE, form its own vacuum.

Ok, maybe not that price but yea. The flexible vane pumps self prime, are pretty immune to contaminates in the oil, and will get you a decent flow rate.

rainwulf fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 19, 2014

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

Slavvy posted:

I work on Korean cars; they're insultingly better than VAG mechanically.

I did the oil and filter on my hyundai tiburon recently. Up on the lift, spin off filter with hand, spin new filter on with calibrated elbow click, down on the lift, add oil. run, stop, check level after rundown.
15 minutes.

Nearly everything is fantasticly spaced out and easy to get to, and pretty well its all either 10, 12 or 14mm. 17mm for the oil drain in the sump.

The hardest thing to access is the alternator though, but that seems to be more of a curse of FWD then anything else.

Hell even the starter motor is literally in front of your face when you peer under the front of the car.

The only thing that bugs me is that to do the rear plugs (v6) you have to take the inlet manifold off. But its a steel gasket, so you dont have to worry about tearing anything.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Wasn't it Saturn that pioneered the sintered aluminum blocks that leak through the block walls technology?

That was the much maligned rover/kia sedona V6 of hell, the one that leaked oil so bad that some engines had to be replaced before actually being rolled out onto the yard as NEW STOCK.

rainwulf fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 4, 2015

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

KozmoNaut posted:

I used to be a massive diesel fan, but I've realized that unless you have a 30+ km commute each way, you'll kill a modern diesel engine prematurely. They're so slow to heat up that you basically never get them properly warm on short trips, which is absolute murder on everything.

And while they're cold, you get worse mileage. Even with diesel cheaper than gas like it is here, you have to be doing like 30K km a year to justify it.

We have both a 3.0 TDI Jackaroo, and my hyundai tib, and when the wife goes "im just going to take the fourby to the shops" im like "take the tiburon, its simply not worth firing up the diesel for a 5 minute drive"

Its also the infamous 4JX1, which has enough problems as it is without short stop start driving for a 5 minute trip.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

Slavvy posted:

Your next car should always be a honda, toyota, mazda or nissan. All other brands are garbage, and nissan is pushing the boundaries and might get booted out of the club if they aren't careful.

hyundai. Seriously they are starting to bring out some serious cars. Look at the Genesis, and its sporty brother, the genesis coupe. Serious car.

MrYenko posted:

http://www.fordproblems.com/trends/triton-engine/spark-plug-ejection.shtml

Late-nineties 4.6 Fords loving hate their own spark plugs. It's a common issue.

I read this as "hate loving"... still applies i guess.

MrYenko posted:

Ah, I've never encountered a longitudinal FWD vehicle.

...Because that's stupid. :v:

Let me introduce you to mr saab....

Ferremit posted:

Spark ignitions a bit of voodoo to me- ive been compression ignition since i started to drive so the idea of changing plugs is a bit foreign.

Although the landcruiser is desperately overdue for diesel injectors... and Toyota in their infinate wisdom embedded the things INSIDE the head, between one of the most complex quad valve systems Ive ever seen that seriously does NOT like getting knocked.

My mates older tech toyota diesel, the old 1HZ is "Pull cross over pipe, Pull glow plug rail, undo injector pipe and wiggle to side,remove injector return pipe, unscrew injector from head". Mines "Remove cross over pipe, remove rocker cover, remove injector pump cover, remove and dispose of injector pipes. Remove return pipe, lever out 6x seals from side of head, undo injector hold down without breaking your valve system with a slipped spanner, lever injectors out without breaking expensive valve system..."

Thankfully, the injectors in this drat POS are easy... http://imgur.com/eOLbL4K you actually use the camshafts to pull the sleeves out heh. Nothing to break in there, apart from the loving stupid injector harness clips.
No one talks about the high pressure oil feed... THROUGH the tappet cover..

Its a cat/isuzu/holden bastardization of a 3.0 litre turbo diesel.

1500quidporsche posted:

All interiors are cheap garbage now anyways.

My dad bought some 2012 Mercedes SUV and I swear to god it was like I was riding around in a Rubbermaid container.

gonna say it again, check out the latest Genesis. You will be loving floored by the build quality.

rainwulf fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 1, 2015

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

insta posted:

Does this count for the coupe, and what year does this take effect? Not hugely impressed by my '13 :(

I am a fan of the coupe as well, but my bro in law is a Hyundai salesman, and showed us all the latest genesis sedan. It is an absolute work of art. Australia doesnt get the coupe :(

But the sedan.. holy crap. When you walk up to it with the keys in your pocket.. it ONLY unlocks the door you are closest too. You just get in, press start and off you go. It has every drat amazing thing you could ever expect, all the fantastic radar things, the line following cameras, hell, the rear seats have their own music and air con console. Its just loving nuts.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

veedubfreak posted:

This thread always makes me happy I opted for the 100k mile warranty on my car, and also why I spend the extra money to buy new every few years.

This thread makes me glad i own a hyundai. Ok, they arent immune to the silly design issues, but... the jarvik thermostat? who the gently caress though that was a good idea.
Today i found out that in some jeeps, the EGR valve is buried right near the bottom back of the block, nearly impossible to get at.. oh.. and the inlet manifold is also the tappet cover? what the gently caress??

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

KozmoNaut posted:

It happens due to long-term neglect, lack of chain lubrication and probably riding in sand or other abrasive environments.

That chain is probably at least the second or third chain to be used on that sprocket, based on how quickly chains usually wear in relation to sprockets.

I always replaced chain and sprocket at the same time. People dont do this?

Wasabi the J posted:

The chain slipping might lead to those goosebumps being removed though.

Interestingly, didn't Honda and some others have a hi lo gear box?

suzuki TC125!!!
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...nJvva2BFUyRM%3A
4 gears, and a hi-lo range gearbox you were supposed to change over when the bike was still..

yea.. that never happened.

I actually killed mine by lowsiding into a track i had worn in the horse paddock, and it turned the gearbox into shiny little pieces of time to get another bike.

rainwulf fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 1, 2015

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

Safety Dance posted:

If you're using a steel sprocket, there's no need. Sprockets have no moving parts, but chains have a jillion.

Yea, but in wearing said jillion parts, the chain stretches, and deforms the teeth on the sprockets. All the bike mechanics i have ever talked to said to replace all as a set.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

bolind posted:

On a bicycle, a new chain on a worn sprocket will give you a horrible experience. The chain is "shorter" and less worn, and the sprocket is worn, meaning that N links of chain will end up on N-1 teeth of sprocket, leading to chain skipping and/or losing the chain. Given the speed and forces involved on a motorbike, I can't imagine it would be advisable to be stingy.

I can understand the reluctance, changing a sprocket usually revolves pulling the rear axle bolt out and messing with the side cover over the primary sprocket, and heaven help the last bastard who welded on that loving nut OMFG

My dad has been riding bikes since he was a wee lad, and same with me, and yea, i have always replaced them as a set, especially since the front one wears quicker then the rear.

perhaps on super low power bikes and mountainbikes/bmxes i guess, but on a motorbike, its never been an option for me. Precut chain length, front sprocket, rear sprocket, and a bit of swearing as you find a way to keep the back of the bike up.

I even heard thats the reason front sprockets have an odd number of teeth? To help spread chain wear and sprocket wear, but i have no anecdotal evidence of that.

Then there is the mind gently caress of NYLON rear sprockets!!!

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

Booblord Zagats posted:

I've seen G2 Tiburons do this before. Turns out the paper thin plastic guarding the electrical system from a blown out tire isn;t that well thought out

Eek. I have a 08 Tiburon which i assume is G2?

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

That looks like one of those "fibre" gears. All smashed out.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

Enourmo posted:

ummm.... if u use the front brakes on a bike... u'll flip.... be safe and just use the rears....

(things I have actually been told by bikers)

Are you serious.. that there is a seriously human failure. Who the gently caress believes that...

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

Collateral Damage posted:

Way too many riders. The same kind of rider who swear that helmets are dangerous because the added weight will break your neck in a crash, and ABS brakes are bad because if they stop working you can't brake. :downs:

They're also the same people who think that the best way to avoid hitting a sudden obstacle is to flick the handlebars to the side, hamfist the front brake and lowside on purpose. Thus the nickname Layer Dan. ("A dog ran out out in front of me and I had to lay 'er down")

wow. Well, there is an explanation for a lot of motorcycle accidents out there if this is truly a common thing to think.

Lowside on purpose? whaaa... do they know that if they actually used the front brake they will stop WAY before the sliding friction of a bike and rider will stop? That's.. wow. Speechless. How did these people even get bike licences? ABS on a bike is fantastic.

I wonder if they were ever taught the finesse of bike riding, for example, just before you do a major brake, tap the front brake a little to setting the bike down on the front shocks, and THEN pull up hard.

I swear riding a motorbike for years before i even got my car licence taught me more about safety, shoulder checks, white space, and just.. general common sense. But obviously not ALL people get the intrinsic lessons that riding a lump of metal that falls over easy can teach you.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

tater_salad posted:

I love that you can't bleed brakes without the special computer. Fuckin cars man.

Its pretty well the only way to do it properly on any car with ABS and/or Traction Control.

There are a bunch of solenoid valves and at least 1 gear pump/motorised piston actuator that helps do all the magic brake trickery, and any air in those places can cause bad things(TM)

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.
Whose drat idea was it to overspeed a multi million dollar piece of equipment to 150 percent, without the man at his post? The chain of events that lead to this is mind blowing.

Horrible idea for a test, failed safety system, and the drat dead mans switch guy wasn't near it. drat.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

Xlyfindel posted:

Oh, yeah could be that, but the first thing that reminded me of was Sayano–Shushenskaya Dam turbine failure I'm not gonna repost the pics here again but it was pretty severe to say the least.

A lot of that particular failure was a complete lack of any kind of ongoing maintenance. Half of the bolts holding down the turbine that was vibrating had broken, but no one had bothered to check it. If they simply had an ongoing continuous check of all those fasteners that wouldn't have happened.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

spog posted:

Wasn't it the case that they knew there was lots of faults, they just never fixed them?

Im pretty sure they actually knew about the out of balance generator, but not sure about the bolts.

All-in-all it was a colossal gently caress up though.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.
According to reddit, the guy lost a spanner, couldn't find it. Shrugged, and started the car.

Found the spanner.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

Sex Weirdo posted:

Threads on the pan were surprisingly good still. The motor is junk anyway, I was just draining the milkshake out of it before I drop it out. I wish I would have recorded the knocking noises it was making, it wasn't rhythmic, but there would be a loud BOOM randomly every 5-10 seconds.

Sounds like half a con rod was still slappin around in there.

My old man told me the best way to torque bolts in was keep going until you snap it off, then back off half a turn :)

rainwulf fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 30, 2015

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

xzzy posted:

Is there anything more scary than cruising the highway and suddenly catching a whiff of hot electronics?

It's a couple miles of "oh hell is my dash about to start spewing smoke?" and watching the cluster for an error light.

Hopefully it was one of the beaters a couple cars in front of me.

Hot/Burnt oil is worse i think..

Also 8nder.. Maple Syrup???

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

There is a reason they use toyotas in the deserts.. its hard to kill em.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.
Never seen a car in australia with standard foot brakes and and e-brake PLUS a hand brake.

We just have the hand brake, or in some cars, the push button, or push-pedal to engage it.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

Godholio posted:

These things are for sale literally all the time. There's one on a local car lot 20 feet from the built 74 Nova some poor guy on base was trying to sell for months.

I wish that kind of stuff was available here in australia. They would make a fantastic outback vehicle able to run on the sweat of an aboriginal after he has been sniffing petrol for a few weeks.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

kastein posted:

The operator was still in it, the brakes failed. I thought the same thing but then further in the narrator notes that the driver was dodging as much as he could while trying to slow down by running into things with no people in them.

Couldn't he uh.. drive it? to a place that had less chance of mishap? or even just.. i don't know.. bring it to a stop with the gearbox and then let it slowly touch a power pole or something. There has to be more to this story. Sure brakes can fail but im sure those drat huge rear end crane things have a hydrodynamic gearbox that would allow fine grain control of momentum for position and what-not.

rainwulf fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 25, 2015

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

IPCRESS posted:

I'd say the beam's there because it's cheaper to simply put up another sacrificial steel beam than to re-inspect the bridge, not because truck-based erosion of the bridge is a problem.

TIL "Truck Based Erosion"

When people crash into a thing too much with large things.

0toShifty posted:

I was driving though a church parking lot and I found the creepy volvo parking zone in the back corner

Hey.. psst..
you wanna smoke some..... SAFETY

rainwulf fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.
e: cant delete a post.