Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Collateral Damage posted:

rotary_ownership.txt

I feel like I'm missing out. I had o ring/corrosion failure for the water cooling jackets - equivalent of a head gasket fail; oil control ring failure (huge amounts of smoke on start up but when warm ran fine and no power loss), and side seal failure.
Most failures (for n/a and people I knew or myself) seemed just to be wear and age, not apex seals destructing.
I only personally know 2 people that blew apex seals - and they were rally thrashing it all day every day, maybe had a bad oil metering pump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

ipokesnails posted:

One of the mechanics mentioned a few times that had they bought equivalent John Deere diesels, which we know to be reliable (barring poor maintenance), it would have only been about 30% more.
They've already spent more than that 30% on mechanic wages and AltaStream service calls in one year.

I never did see that thing move... I had always wondered.

The engine was constantly leaking oil, and the remaining apex seals looked oily, so......maybe?

I still have the car and the engine sitting mostly disassembled, I could dig it out and test if you're curious enough :allears:

Like I mentioned before, most apex seal failures were oil related, usually oil metering pump (unique to the rotary), but yeah, main oil pressure pump dying, well then poo poo is going to die, rotary or piston.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, bowser is a generic term for something used to store/distribute liquids, like a water or fuel tank on a trailer. Using it as slang to refer to a service station fuel pump makes perfect sense.

It's not really slang, it's very old timey and hardly used these days (or should I say "nowadays"?) Our fathers or grandfathers called them a bowser, as did the media went reporting "price at the bowser".
But these days most people and media just say 'pump'.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

bolind posted:

Can't most modern cars run on E85? Or is that E15?

Most servos doing the switcharoo will only use E10 or E15 (10% or 15% ethanol). E85 is 85% ethanol and most manufacturers won't back it unless sweet government funding received to design a car that can run it. They probably can, but who knows? Anyway, why would they have interest in lower quality fuel that gives them a worse fuel efficiency rating just to make some farmers happy?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Saga posted:

For the benefit of American goons, "switcharoo" is the slang term for an antipodean marsupial that has had gender reassignment surgery. Identifiable by the lipstick and the abdominal stitches.

Wanted: Volunteers to help with the kangaroo gender reassignment surgery. The last lot seemed thin skinned.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 23, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

veedubfreak posted:

Why do you hate BIG CORN so much?

I watched an episode of justified the other day and the criminals were in florida importing real sugar from cuba illegally. Not drugs or people, but sugar.
Makes you think.
Corn fields are only good for movie sets.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 24, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah but "big corn"
The only people that sell flex fuel down here are the eastern states and independants. Only people that buy them are people not giving a gently caress about economy but using it for a substitute for race fuel. (which is why MCM had the haltech sensors to run it), they want alcohol content to add power to improve 1/4 mi or racetrack performance and don't care about economy.

In Western Australia we don't care too much for sugar (eastern state grown only), or corn at all out here. You have to look for and fuel with ethanol on purpose - rather than the opposite "look to avoid it" like everywhere else in Australia or the US it seems.
Sucks if you like corn, Tex-Mex and mexican food in WA, but it's just regular 91 is at the pump for your car as a compromise, and hardly any corn around (or sugar plantations).

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 25, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

I thought the big reason for a lack of nukes was they arent economically viable compared to coal and solar is rapidly catching up (the aus govt had a great scheme with rebates for solar which like all good policies was axed by abbott)

Solar is not cheap, just subsidised. Coal gets a break as not taxed for how bad it is for the environment.
Nuc costs a hell of a lot and a long time to build, people don't want to put that much money up front in case some miraculous new tech might show up soon, and also because of nimbys and general public reservations.
No government has put any serious investment into infrastructure to build industries since the 1970s really. It's been a long slope down with porkbarreling and sell offs to private industry and back scratching since then, doing the maximum for lobbyists and mates, and the bear minimum to not lose elections.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
A lot of the taxi fleet is being replaced by prius and camrys now. No diesels though.
That said,

Slavvy posted:

Yeah this.

Also worth mentioning that a camry will do moon mileage and at the end you'll still have a camry.

A falcon engine will do moon mileage but at the end you'll have no interior and be on your fourth transmission.

Bullshit, especially if talking about aussie made camrys. My older brother bought an older avalon, my younger brother bought a camry just for the novelty that he found a 5sp man camry, while I had a falcon. I didn't have many troubles (there were a few, but they seemed to have just as many, if not more). All had problems with the odd 1990s interior bits breaking (roof lining, regulators), all had a minor electrical bit - for me it was a dizzy, for them and alternator, fuel pump or starter. but none had major problems, no heads/head gaskets, even the transmission was fine on mine because i actually serviced it - instead of crying too hard without a dipstick or listening to 'sealed for life' claims.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 14, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah but I had to call BS because both will do moon mileage and both with have interiors falling apart by then and only be worth scrap.
The only difference being if you don't ever service the trans on the falcon then it won't last as long as the motor. okey dokey.

* Would also need an aftermarket external air cooler to ensure engine coolant never meets auto fluid, I'll give you that.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Powershift posted:

Ya'll motherfuckers gonna get put on a list.

I think most people who post on SA is already on some sort of a list, whether it's a mailing list for sperg weekly, autism monthly, or "most likely to flip out and kill people" list.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

CommieGIR posted:

That's a Toyota. Not a domestic.
Yeah, doesn;t matter. Even Japanese made or designed there, made in Thailand, BOF commericial utes/trucks that we get in aussieland used to be terrible. Didn't have to conform to passenger vehicle standards, so they didn't. One of the main reasons I planted my arse into an aussie ute instead. Before that I had Japanese made or branded commercial utes which rode like a truck and had low safety ratings.
They have improved now, but it was later than mid 2000s here, more like late 2000s when they wanted to sell dual cabs to families and brought out new models.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 4, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Problem has always been, being commercial vehicles, they are normally 2 generations behind in safety features. Best thing about the aussie ute was it is based on the latest passenger vehicle (possible difference being rear axle to account for the load). But from front door forward and sidewards, (ie the passenger compartment) it is the same safety level as the passenger vehicle sedan/wagon. E: That, and the engine options is why I love the aussie ute so much.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 4, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
We didn't have the explorer here (maybe we did once, for a year, a long long time ago). We had/have the 'escape' and the local 'territory' based on the falcon platform. When ford AU shuts down we will probably get the explorer, or something made in Thailand based on the mazda/ranger platform.
I don't think f series trucks, or anything based on them is ever going to be sold here as a mainstream vehicle to be honest though as fuel is expensive here.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 4, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

That's not your new one is it?
e: duh, clicked to YT and it's from last year.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I think you're all forgetting dealing with acetylene bottles for a living.

Every HVAC company I worked for (1991-2008) had loving vans for fleet vehicles, with oxy and acet inside.
First thing I did when becoming self employed was use a ute for a trade vehicle if I had to cart acetylene around.
Second thing I did was upgrade to an oxy-mapp set up instead to carry around in the ute. E: though even that's not safe. 3-4 years ago someones van blew up due to leaking mapp (map-pro really, as mapp is discontinued but we still call it mapp for brevity and the gas stinks just the same)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 18, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

spog posted:

At the risk of dating myself:

When I was growing up, cars had poo poo factory stereos and door locks that could be opened with a stern word.

So all the aftermarket stereos came with little handles to allow you to easily remove them

Note, this isn't the faceplate coming off, it is the entire fcking head unit that you have now made easier to steal and you are advertising the fact.

the idea was that you would spend your day shopping/on a date/at a night club with a car stereo in your hand.

Yeah, my older brother had an alpine cassette deck like that.

Holy poo poo I'm loving this SAneedful chrome extention. Just did that reply as a quick reply without having to load another page. It also loads embedded gifvs. Also can organize sub forums to your most favourite up top, hides poo poo forums and lots of cool stuff.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sa-needful/bipfbhacdgoojjfblifgjadhabepbekm

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 6, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

14 INCH DICK posted:

I keep hearing people poo poo talk them, but I've always used them in my crap beaters. Theyre usually the 21mm coppers though, not the 16mm small style, although considering where they wore and broke I can't imagine that radical a difference.

I always used the champion gold/coppers in my old falcons too.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
That brake disc!

chrisgt posted:

Oh come on, name any car that doesn't need a timing belt around 100k miles. And furthermore, any car that doesn't have timing belt issues if ignored for way longer than that... People are idiots and replace just the belt which leads to stupid stuff like that.

My two favourite engines;
1. Rotary (OK, they may need a complete rebuild at 200k miles)
2. i6 4l ford falcon (has a chain and the engine is near on indestructable)

My list is what it is, for some reason they are my favourite engines and don't have timing belts :shrug:
E: I was a fan of the mazda 4cyl as often they had chains too, but heard 100k miles is no problem for the ones with belts, many have gone longer, like 150k miles so I've read.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 23, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

dissss posted:

On my Integra the water would end up flowing past the tail light seals and completely filling the spare tyre well.

Was even more fun if you happened to park facing downhill during a rain storm - once the tyre well was full water would flow though and soak into the rear seat squabs and eventually pool in the front foot wells (where the ECU was located)

Is it only rust buckets that have drainage holes?
and CO fumes

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Enourmo posted:

If they just sent the head out then obv the machine shop wouldn't catch it; not checking the cam is all on the garage techs.

Mmm, normally when you send a head out you don't send the cam, but not sure if this was the case in this instance. But normally the most the other shop does is machine/grind to level and square, pressure test, and valves and guides if asked for.
Mechanic shop usually keeps the cam, and re-assembles cam, bearings, does the timing (and gasket of course).

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Fart Pipe posted:

What the hell is the other light in the tach, the not engine light?

Exterior light fault?

I remember seeing this diagram in AI a couple of years ago:
http://blog.caasco.com/automotive/60-dashboard-symbols-and-what-they-mean/

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

chrisgt posted:

That is quite the game... wow. For any linux nerds on 64bit you have to do
code:
apt-get install libsdl-ttf2.0-0:i386
to get the 32bit version of the library.... If you're not on a debian based system you aren't a real person anyway.... end of linux sperg :v:

Ha Ha. When I read that above post mentioning a game my first though was "probably wouldn't work on linux" as I'm using a laptop running mint.
The second drat reply answers any thought I had.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

joat mon posted:

Malaise era cars don't need electric vacuum pumps because they already suck.

Good point. People bought Japanese around that time for drat good reasons.
If you think about how much it was a big deal to the consumer, then you'd realise how bad things were from the big three in order for them to make that huge leap and buy Japanese. poo poo sucked real real bad.
E: In Australia they never really recovered, (as we don't get the cool cars or trucks the US market has and only so many people want utes, station wagons or panel vans), and ou aussie made "big three" cars weren't even as bad as the cars the US big three tried to sell, the aussie ones were way better in fact but still suffered the US stigma.
e2: Of course earlier cars were loving awesome.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 4, 2016

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

veedubfreak posted:

How many people have lots of fun asbestos in their lungs from working on old cars with drum brakes. I'm pretty sure I sucked up a few lung fulls in the years I worked on bug brakes.

Yep, old brakes, lots of exposure in HVAC too. Also old houses (bathrooms which I often renovated, eaves I usually cut vents into, sheds and fences that were often broken/damaged) When you're drilling and the bit squeals, congrats, you have/had asbestos and now mesothelioma.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Some people willingly use oil filters that have toilet paper.
They were a big thing in the 1970s. Frantz is the only name I remember, but there's more (probably for industrial plant).

E: http://jackmasteroilfilters.com.au/replacing_filter_element..html

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yah but the 4.0 and the zf 6spd (with aftermarket external cooler), is what made them awesome. Shame the diff/interiors fell apart quicker than 1990s EL and AU builds.
But *something* needs to hold that driveline, especially in LPG+turbo form :( E: in a motherfucking ute, because utes :australia:

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 9, 2016

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Mines a 1 tonner with canopy and lots of refrig gear (or lately while moving house, rotary engine parts) in the back. Tray is never empty (empty trays are for commodore utes with less carry capacity and the fancy flat lids)
I only got the falcon ute after my 4x4 ranger was written off due to a hail storm and the price was right. Not that I had to be talked into it, owned a few falcon sedans.
E: I'd never buy a v8 falcon though, the GM LS is a lot better. But for a 6cyl workhorse, falcon ute every time. Can even get them with an aluminum tray/flatbed unlike the GMH.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 9, 2016

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
You don't have to fix dents on hail damaged cars in western australia. Heaps of people bought hail damaged cars cheap and just drive them around like that in WA.
Problem for me was my ranger was a work/business vehicle which means two things: 1) looks like poo poo for your business 2) You'll never get full insurance and driving a company car around without full insurance is just stupid anyway.

E: NZ is not Aus Mexico with regards to cars. NZ killed off their car industry ages ago, so they can privately import good cars from any country directly, no local car industry protection; no 15, 20 or 25 year old vintage cars only rules like Aus, Can and USA has.
Also, it's not Mex in any sense of the word as everything else is mega expensive there. Lower wages and also higher prices for almost everything, which I never knew until slavvy was asking about slow cookers and pressure cookers years ago. Seriously, less choice plus everything was about 50% more expensive, while wages were lower. There's a reason why so many New Zealanders who don't care about cars immigrate to Aus

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 10, 2016

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

8ender posted:

No Frills is great because you can stock your cupboards full for ~$20 and pretend you're working for the dharma initiative from the show lost

You have a version of "black and gold" brand?
That's the original cheap generic brand of food items in Australia. They used to be huge in Australia until the main grocery stores started their own budget/private labels instead - like "homebrand", "savings" etc.
Black and gold is awesome, you could never go wrong with their quality, while the supermarket private labels are hit and miss. It's a shame only small independent grocery stores sell them now.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 16, 2016

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
^ chiming in with that comment too.
Wasn't going to post but then I thought "does supertrapp no longer exist?"
People used to use supertrapps on rotaries back in the day for track noise limits.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Geirskogul posted:

Exactly. Either 1/4 or 3/8.

Old mazdas were 5/16 I think. Just to be difficult.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Phanatic posted:

My old Supra had the radio antenna embedded in the windshield glass.

Helped make it damned good-looking car, but I'd hate to think of the replacement cost. especially today.

So did 1973 Mazda RX4s.
I haven't seen one for ages though, most RX4s around these days have a regular windscreen with a radio antenna mounted on the front quarter panel. I don't think embedded antennas were available aftermarket in the 80s,90s etc. In fact I'd be surprised if you could buy an rx4 windscreen at all these days in my state.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 1, 2016

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
That video link isn't working but I guess you guys are talking about an absorption cycle refrigerator.
You used to be able to by one for the home in the 1950s that you just fill up a burner with kerosene for the heat source. They used ammonia or other really nasty refrigerants though so they fell out of favour and everyone got electricity to their home finally!

I guess the RV ones have a less toxic refrigerant these days as well.
E: I used to read old 1970s refrig and a/c books on it and back then they were so hopeful it would be the savior of the world, so efficient and cheap to run. It just needs a heat source and solar power improvements are just around the corner. Every house could have a small absorption system chiller plant with some solar panels and the only cost to cool a whole house would be the water pump for the brine chiller system and fans for the coil AHUs :(

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 16, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
It's even funner than that. I was a fridgie and the licence was originally state based, so WA had their own and evreyone who did the apprenticeship here had training on every refrig and a/c system, so was licenced to do it all.

But then it was changed to a national refrig licence system. Well the motor trades, plumbers, electricians had unions and lobbyists while the refrig trades don't, and all their reps got into the licensing system to run it.

When it turned national I wasn't allowed to work on cars because I wasn't a mechanic trained by the motor trades authority, and of course any plumber or electrician could do a short course to get an air con installers licence.
Some dumb gently caress dye filling top up yearly fuckwit could work on a car a/c but I couldn't anymore.
Every year me an a bunch of workmates sent in the extra $20 for the "auto" portion of the licence and then yelled at them until they'd stamp it "auto" quals as well on the card. It was loving ridiculous that they turned the system against properly trained people that have had a state licence for refrig mechanics for years just to protect the auto industry.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 17, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Nah, with BMW it's a driveshaft with seals. With nissan and merc I didn't notice.

mekilljoydammit posted:

In fairness, lots of stuff does that.

Yeah, i was looking up the BMW as I knew it was an X model, but when searching "drive shaft through sump"I came across a lot of other cars. Many cars that are 6cyl, longitudinal(n-s) and awd do the same thing. Some even have the front diff in there

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 21, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
ok, I read something about the x5 that mentioned seals a while back, but I read it wrong. Probably diff seals.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
They can't? Most retreads are limited to 120-140km/hr. Most new tyres (even terrible ones) are rated 180-240km/hr. Pretty sure they don't have the same load rating either.
They were more common 30 years ago or how ever long back when cars were woeful, under powered and slow anyway. E: like every 4cyl had 60hp, or 6 cyl with 100hp.
These days dumb people buy cheap Chinese tyres instead. That wasn't an option 30 years ago, and no tyre fitter recommends them for passenger cars anymore as they have 160+kw and likely to go over 130km/hr when overtaking. 2e: More likely to get sold s/h tyres than retreads if you really need a $50 tyre

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 4, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
You retread tyres for a living?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, that's a ford territory, the lifted AWD wagon version of the ford falcon. They had lots of problems like that. (E: they fail and then knock about until they break)