Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

Uncontained Turbine Failure:

LOO fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

747 Engine fell off in flight:

C-130 with propeller trouble:

A-10 with some Battle Damage:

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

Fist of Freud posted:

It is worth noting that the turbine disc you see here came from the #1 engine, passed through the pack bay and ended up stuck on the outboard side of #2.

Thank you, I forget to mention that.

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

Not mechanical failure, but rather crew failure:

Again, not so much mechanical failure as "hit by air-to-air missile":

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

Sexual Lorax posted:

Holy poo poo. Was this plane carrying Admiral Yamamoto, or what? Digging around yielded the following, which matches the damage:

I'd like to think that I live my life in a manner that doesn't piss off anyone else so much that they'd fire a missile at my goddamned airplane.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

quote:

On 6 August 1988, the Botswana Air Wing British Aerospace 125-800, flown by Col. Albert Scheffers (CO Botswana Air Wing) and British Aerospace transport pilot Arthur J. Ricketts, carrying the president of Botswana, J. K. Quett Masire and eight other passengers, was underway at 35.000ft over Angola. All of a sudden, those on board heard a loud bang and there was an explosive decompression of the cabin. The aircraft yawed, rolled and dived almost at once and then a shower of fan blades from the starboard Garrett TFF.731-5 engine was observed as it separated away from the aircraft and went in forward direction. The aircraft was hit by one of two R-60/AA-8 Aphid missiles fired at it from an Angolan MiG-23ML interceptor. The first missile hit the starboard engine and ripped it together with the entire pod off the aircraft. The second missile then hit the same engine after it was already off the aircraft. Col. Scheffers regained control of the aircraft at 28.500ft, completed an emergency shutdown and thus preserved the other aircraft systems. 2.000lb of fuel in the right wing and one engine were lost, and there was extensive damage to the right wing and flaps. The aircraft spiraled down and then landed at Cuito Bie, in Angola. Subsequent inspection reveald that the hydraulic pump, starter/generator and alternator were still attached by hoses and cable looms. Angola apologized to Botswana for the missile firing, especially as usual air traffic control clearances had been received before the presidential trip. Nobody on board the aircraft suffered serious injuries, and the aircraft was subsequently repaired.

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

BatDan posted:

I work for a facility that repair aircraft turbine engine components. We recently received in a part for overhaul that is damaged a little more than usual. This is a turbine exhaust case from a Pratt & Whitney JT8D-200 turbine engine. An important requirement of these engine cases is to contain the pieces of the engine in case of failure.

In the Air Force I saw a J57-59W that had a No. 1 bearing failure. You could look in the inlet and see light coming in the tailpipe. The N1 compressor was laying in the front compressor case.

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) is banned at my work place. We use MPK (Methyl Propyl Ketone) It's not as good, but apparently less dangerous.

Edit:

Slung Blade posted:

Never heard of it. Commercially available?

Yes.

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=33

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

Pro Tip: Many industrial solvents are absorbed through the skin or inhaled. Use gloves and a respirator (or use in well ventilated area).

deviant. posted:

So is MEK any good at freeing stuck bolts? :v:

No, not at all. Use "Mouse Milk", LPS KB88, BreakFree, etc...

Edit:

MSDS: http://www.teamindustrialservices.com/msds/804-0004%20MEK.pdf

LOO fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 15, 2010