Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

An engine block can twist when overheated. Combine that with torque and you can easily bend an engine block.

Why do you say this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Kotaru posted:

Source?

:goatsecx:

Cast metals can be made hard, but not tough. And I am pretty sure they aren't forging blocks now. Hell, a block's heat point is past the burning point of oil.

My guess is mild warpage is what the fellow is talking about.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Blinken posted:

Personal favorite.

Please tell me there is more. Like head slapping the ground and brains pouring out.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Rogz posted:

I've done that to 2-strokes by overheating them so much the piston swells and touches the cylinder wall.

I've done some really horrible things to 2-strokes. :(

Heh, I know what 12,000 rpm sound like on a old 250cc.

I also know what a siezed lower end sounds like as well.

Those hot mags you'd replace your stock system with were pretty loving awesome.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ungry Ungry 6-71T's!

The best and easiest is to cover the intake with a stop sign. Diesels when running away will eat anything. Shop manuals, rags, coveralls, small children, and the souls of the damned.

I'd love to see a diesel poo poo a phone book out the stack followed by a set of coveralls.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ericadia posted:

IIRC they overloaded it by about 200,000lbs

poo poo dawg, he laid frame!

FLIP SWITCHES, BITCHES!

That thing had to be making some awesome sounds before that happened.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Dr. Awesome MD posted:

This poo poo makes my teeth hurt

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Fucknag posted:

Unless they're used for firefighting duty. :haw:

I used to work with the widow of one of those guys.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Fucknag posted:

:smith:

Now I feel bad.

Don't.

I think if that didn't happen, he would have rigged it to happen.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

blankooie posted:

55k for a new GTR motor? :lol::lol:

For that price you could buy a Z06, and two spare motors.

PUSHRODS AND LEAFSPRINGS!

You jest good sir, nothing like that can be as fast as a GTR!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

teh jhey posted:

I love that you can almost hear the giant gulp as the car went nose-first into what he called a "puddle"

And people wonder why I'd be clapping and cheering if LA disappeared in a flash of light (in the 50/100 megaton range)

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

incredibull posted:

Pictures from work. What happens when a crane operator tries to stick a 40-foot container into a hole meant for a 20-foot container? The question that everybody has always pondered. IT HAPPEN.

There is a reason it says "Contents of package may settle in shipping"

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Salvage isn't really a "keep what you catch" situation, though. Technically you have to claim a percentage-value reward for rescuing someone else's property. In UK waters, at least, cargo remains the property of the original owner.

Luckily, if you're shipping a car in a container, the "total loss" insurance for when the container goes for a swim in the drink isn't expensive, but apparently damage insurance is a complete arse to organise.

This isn't the UK and it's prize system! This is pirates of deep water! Arrrrrr!

Yeah, the can isn't going to weigh that much floating around, because it's well, floating, not going to be light, but max gross on those cans are higher than what we can haul on the interstates, so if it's really heavy, it's playing with Davy Jones.

This is dumpster diving played on Nightmare mode.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

grover posted:

Speaking of forklift accidents and subsequent mechanical failure, this is what happens when a structural member supporting a shitload of russian vodka is forcibly removed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stDWNam7RtE

Those have to be the worst storage shelves I have ever seen.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

No pictures because holy poo poo, I saw something that I never thought I'd see. Hauling rear end down the interstate, there is a big truck on the side of the road with triangles out, didn't even grab my camera, but noticed that there was black poo poo sprayed up the back of the sleep to the top (had a container on) but when I passed it, I noticed that the whole loving hood, windshield, and to the top of the sleeper (Anteater with full studio sleeper and fairings) was coated in black as night oil. Somehow the guy blew his loving engine so hard it shot oil out the front through the loving radiator and covered everything.

That engine must have gone off in a bloody explosion that must have been really bloody impressive and created itself an superfund site at the same time. Guy didn't even lift the hood so I couldn't see a drat thing.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

trouser chili posted:

That's probably just from condensation. No biggie, do you drive a lot of short trips?

Saw these two posts/picture together. Busted out laughing.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

warcake posted:

This happens when you forget to do up big end bearings...

At first I was all Screamin' Jimmy and that's all that happened, then I remember Volvo paints them the same color lol.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

huskyjackal posted:

D: My poor old Corolla. I guess it's a mechanical failure.. if by mechanical I mean "those liquid-carrying semi trucks" and failure I mean "caused me to lose control and it ran over the front of my car". It was not a good night for me. But hey! It still drove to the side of the road before another semi hit me, so.... huzzuh?
e: the driver of the semi had the audacity to tell me, "You bent a couple o' my rims!!" "Oh yeah? You BENT HALF OF MY CAR." dick.

Already I can feel my rage rising.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

blankooie posted:

Automotive Insanity > Post Pictures of Horrible Mechanical Failures > Amtrak

:xd:

Dave Inc. posted:

Aren't most semi/car accidents caused by the car? And how does a semi-truck cause you to lose control?

Almost 80% are the fault of the smaller car. I wouldn't be surprised if next on the list was lovely roads/weather. I've had lane changes due to wind, or my axles grabbing a rut in road construction.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Obviously, it was another case of Toyota unintended acceleration into the semi's rear tardbar. I am tweeting CNN's Rick Sanchez to alert the public at large.

Tardbar.

I'm gonna have to use that.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

grover posted:

Why are retreads still legal?

Because they are pretty loving safe?

And recycling and all that poo poo. I've lost a couple of tires and most of them have been new.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Jack the Smack posted:

Read about it and no one was even seriously injured.

Mines are somehow pretty safe for humans, but death for machines.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Needless to say, getting off an end user or major supplier's poo poo list is rather hard work, so you don't gently caress around. Nothing makes you popular like being the guy who gets to tell the Director that nope, that $40,000 worth of parts is going in the bin, and yep, you are going to start again from scratch. A tenth of a thou is as good (well, bad) as a mile.

And on the other end, you got me, laying on my back in the nice warm Nevada sun, doing a roadside repair because the last three years of trailer inspections have been half-assed done....repairing a brake line with a ball point pen and some zip-ties.

feh, it's only air and 40 tons.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

frozenphil posted:

I never said it was incorrect, I just made a lovely economy joke. loving goons, always over thinking poo poo.

Jerking off to the nerdbook is always the best.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

e: "Needs airbag."

Yeah, and a new seat because I'll be willing to bet $5 the words "poo poo Stained" aren't selling points.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Wombot posted:

"Oh, that truck must have broken down."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_f2kLzcVWI

"Well, it's definitely broken. And down."

Saw that last night. Immediately thought of you, AI :3:

"Damnitson, don't slide your tandems here!" :xd:

And poo poo like that is why I pull the loving Johnson bar/spike/trolley bar every time after getting out of the truck and back in.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Snapped this one today at the local Home Depot parking lot:

Wait, isn't that a beam axle up front?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Whitey Ford posted:

Because this thread has become a catchall for mechanical things getting hosed up, here's some photos from Iceland;

Downshifted and PUNCHED IT!

Sure ain't a HONDA in that boys, that's TORQUE for ya!

I do believe my answer is the correct one, if you look at it, it seems the tires slid so my guess is the PTO or something bound up.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Is that a ISX learning to fly?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Looks actually like a V-12, you can faintly see the other exhaust manifold on the other side.

Or it might be two I-6's, tractors do that.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ola posted:

I think a can of soda would stay intact in a vacuum. Only 14 PSI delta, no big deal. It's even got an expansion sphere at the bottom. I submit that the can would survive until it struck the car on the other side of the parking lot, across the train tracks.

Just FYI, we for the most part don't haul soda, beer, potato chips, ice cream over I-70, because they like to explode at about 12,000 feet in the tunnel.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

greenman100 posted:

Ice cream explodes at 12,000 feet? Yeah no.

Stop tarding out.

If packaged at point A (Bakersfield) and Driven to Denver across I-70 you'll end up with a loving mess.

But yeah, Ice Cream does has issues, and is routed oddly. Same with Bread, Chips and soda.

Companies don't route change that much for shits and giggles.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ola posted:

That is absolute nonsense.

Then I guess I didn't see the claims forms for 5 trailers of potato chips that blew up when someone misrouted them from the Bakersfield plant to Denver (Aurora)

Ola posted:

Loads of people live at or above 12,000 feet, does Coca Cola have its own low pressure production line to serve this market?

SWIRE does have production plants in different areas. So yes, they do.

Ferremit posted:

i had a can of Cambells soup detonate in my bag on a flight from melbourne to Adelaide- Little Focker shitbox plane thing, we went up to about 9-10,000 feet and the fucker exploded all through my fire gear.

No that didn't happen you see because....

scapulataf posted:

May be its got to do with the vibrations causing the pressure to increase inside the can?

Good question.

Let's see, major temp change?

Look all you book smart motherfuckers. They don't send this poo poo over I-70 for a loving reason, has nothing to do with weight, it has to deal with pressure. Ice Cream loving swells in the package, potato chips gets cranky, Ho-Hos and Twinkles become God Like in size and burst through. Maybe Soda bleeds the CO2 out of the liguid, the air bubbles in ice cream get mad, and the fillings of Twinkles leak out the rear end end.

Don't tell me that it's another loving magical reason that we don't take this poo poo across I-70. Maybe there is another loving reason.

I bet this fucker lives in that Shithole Vale and attacks Soda and Potato Chip trucks.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Muffinpox posted:

Maybe you truckers get Nitrogen Narcosis at high altitudes and eat all of it on the way you tubby fucks.

That's weightist you skinny girl pants wearing prettyboy.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Longinus00 posted:

Haven't thought about it too hard or read the report that was talked about earlier but at first glance it's possible both of you are right. It might be possible for a undisturbed can to survive going in a vacuum chamber and surviving at very low pressures but not for a can which is being physically agitated as the carbon dioxide will bubble out of the containing liquid and increase the pressure in the can.

Like you can STAND on a empty soda can, but as soon as someone just bumps the outside....

CRUNCH!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

B4Ctom1 posted:

I haul everything from each coast over this track.

Chips, ice cream, soda, beer, everything. Right next to that track is a section of I-80 at the same altitude. They haul everything there also.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=41.12469,-105.333352&spn=0.011702,0.027595&t=h&z=15

That's almost 4K lower than the tunnel, and almost 6K lower than the pass around the tunnel if you have a 14' trailer.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Toucan Sam posted:

That's actually part of what is wrong with people today. I have a couple very nice led televisions but i also have old school tube televisions from 10+ years ago that work very well for what i need them for. Maybe i'm getting to the old people stage but appliances and electronics used to last back in the day.

I have a picture of me watching those crazy Santa puppet things on TV when I was like 2 years old.

We finally replaced the TV in that picture in 1998, over 20 years later.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

drat just realized we have around 18000 pounds of r134a in that room.

Do you have breathers in case of a major failure of system...like the one that happened?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Horse Divorce posted:

While not particularly a mechanical failure, it's in the right spirit.

That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen. The best part is the load completely poo poo out on the other side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Lowclock posted:

Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has no idea what the gently caress you're talking about anymore.

I LOVE ACID!!!!!