Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

D C posted:

Ohhh man i bet that printer smelled amazing.

Back when I still worked on computers, I got called in to fix the bakery computer at a Cinnabon. Probably a pound of cinnamon in those fans, my whole bench smelled delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I don't even.

Why. Why would someone do that. :psyduck:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nidhg00670000 posted:

About ten years ago my friend had an old lovely Opel that we'd fixed some rust on. For some reason he wanted some paint on the patches instead of just primer. Anyhow, he knew someone who knew someone who recommended this really old dude (with a genuine Karl Marx-beard, therefor everyone called him "The Beard") that had an old paint shop and had been in business for like 40 years, so he'd started to turn away customers he didn't know or who didn't get "recommended" to him from someone he knew so he could have more spare time and not have to deal with random idiots.

So we went there with the Opel, The Beard looked it over and gave us a price. My friend accepted, they shook on it and then we left the Opel there without going into the shop. A week later came pickup time. As we opened the door to the shop, the air was FILLED with the stench of solvent. It was completely overwhelming to the point where we couldn't even go in without choking. As we stood there with the door open, thinking something must be wrong, The Beard called out for us from inside the shop, before stepping outside with the biggest grin I've ever seen on a man.

We conversed for a while, looked the car over (that was parked out back) and paid him. As we where leaving, I couldn't help to comment on the stench. His only comment was "yeah, those water based colours are poo poo, I won't touch 'em". His employee (barely younger than The Beard) stood in the doorway smoking a cigarette the whole time we where there, before they both went into the shop again and closed the door.

How is there a single functional brain cell in heads like those?

I worked for Sherwin-Williams for a couple years back just out of high school, and used to deliver to some of these guys. Holy poo poo is all I have to say. Between them and crazy-rear end painters spraying varnish while smoking, I was amazed I didn't get blown up on deliveries.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

tater_salad posted:

I spotted the failure, old vehicle, California.

Fixed that. gently caress a bunch of Cali.

Send all those delicious non-rustbelt old cars out my way instead. :getin:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Bucephalus posted:

I've had 5 deer collisions. 3 of them were the fuckers ramming me.

My Sonoma's hosed up pillar is because of this, dumbass deer ran headlong into my driver's side right at the mirror. Broke his drat neck and my windshield.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

kastein posted:

Honestly if I had a tire shop I'd probably just get a 10 foot piece of steel pipe, tack weld a 16d framing nail to the end, and poke em from around the side of the car while wearing ear/eye protection.

Not really that concerned by one unless it's real close to me... or real big, like that mining dumptruck picture that's been posted. gently caress everything about that.

Ever speared something that was charging at you? Trust me, you don't want to be holding whatever you pop that with, as it's going to be going the opposite direction at a high rate of speed shortly.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Holy poo poo.
Can someone explain what's going on here?

Arc flash, the poor bastard. Something in that unit arced, and the resulting explosion turned him into chunky salsa from the resulting heat and explosive pressure wave as the copper went nearly instantly from solid to gaseous state.

It's one of the things they terrified us with in my electrical training courses, because it doesn't really have any warning signs, you just screw up and explode.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Geoj posted:

Or you know, just learn how to modulate clutch and throttle to start from a dead stop without rolling backwards while also not driving like an rear end in a top hat?

But it's a lot more fun to drop the clutch uphill if you've got the timing right. :D

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

General_Failure posted:

Doesn't help that it was hit by a wall on wheels with an overhang at head height. How drat huge was that thing?

Yeah, jacked up bro truck with the bumper at face height would murder any kind of compact. From the way it's sitting on that Beetle, it looks like it jumped over the hood straight into the windscreen.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Godholio posted:

In no way is that a bro truck.

Do the new ones ride that high stock? Because there's an extra half a wheel of clearance on those wheelwells.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Horse Divorce posted:

Yup. Trucks have been growing a lot over the past generations.

Let's compare some numbers according to wikipedia. I'm guessing these would be the poverty spec truck. Regular cab, short bed, short wheelbases.

CHEVROLET
73-91 C/K
Wheelbase: 117 in
Height: 69.8

06-13 Silverado 1500
Wheelbase: 119 in, +2
Height: 73.7 in, +3.9 in

DODGE
81-93 Ram 1500
Wheelbase: 115 in
Height: 73 in.

09-15 Ram 1500
Wheelbase: 120 in, +5 in
Height: 78.9, +5.9 in

FORD
87-91 F150
Wheelbase: 116.8 in
Height: 70.2 In (found on edmunds.com)

2015+ F150
Wheelbase: 122.4 in + 5.6
Height: 75.2 in, +5

That explains it, I'm used to my early 90's GMC/Chevy trucks, where the bumper's at a reasonable height for bumping into things.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

This was the very first car I ever got in a wreck in.

Mine was significantly more rusty. Picked it up for $400 out of a Walmart parking lot. God, I miss that terrible fucker. It was like driving a couch with a rocket strapped to it. 4200lbs curb weight with a 5 liter v-8.

I got rear ended by a cop in it, didn't even scratch the bumper but put his cattle catcher into his radiator.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

:hfive:

That's how I used to describe mine: two plush velour couches bolted to a fat V8, with some metal and glass thrown around them because ~laws~. Instead of an airbag, my passenger dash said "Ride Engineered :smugdog:".

I loving love the big poo poo from that era, they're like rolling sideways Gothic skyscrapers. Mine had a front end made of battlements and crenellations. It sounded angry, too (... from the holes in the exhaust :downs:).

I raced a guy in a lovely 90's Mustang in mine. He was very, very surprised that a grocery getter with 4 guys in it could chirp the rear tires and get going like that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

This XJ's previous owner is gonna drive me nuts. I suspect it was the guy before the guy I bought it from, as 99% of the mechanical problems with the thing are corrected, but the little poo poo is still solidly bullshit.

Today's example starts with a question. "I wonder why my fog lights look so cloudy? Maybe I can just polish the lenses..."

Oh.

Oh god.

Oh god, why. :gonk:

gently caress that. gently caress everything about that. :argh:

Much better.

I wonder what else is hosed about these. Wait, what's this switch?

A wire that goes through the firewall?

Well, at least the I6 is pretty. :j:

Something seems to be missing here...

Oh, you filthy rat bastard.

Fucker's behind the battery tray, too, so it's gonna loving stay there until I get the new battery cables and battery that are my next project.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nah, that third spot up should be the fog lamp relay, though. :) I'm probably going to wire the stock ones back up for now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Mine were OEM (have a switch on the dashboard for them) and as far as I can tell the stock location for the relay was screwed into the side of the engine bay just above the battery. So, if the screw popped out or the stupid little plastic casing broke, it would fall down behind the battery like that (mine had).

I just replaced the lights on my 88, because either they ate the sockets inside or some desperate thief really needed two lovely little bulb sockets. The housings looked kinda aftermarket, but all the wiring seemed stock so I dunno. I replaced them with $60 Hella 500 lamps, because I didn't want to spend a bunch of cash on something nice but was tired of the old ones not working. I cut off the old plug pigtails, butt-crimped them onto the Hellas (the blue wire = ground, wtf) and slapped them in. They work fine running off the OEM wiring harness - the Hella kit came with a new switch and harness, so maybe whoever installed your kit got something similar and didn't bother to splice it into the existing stock setup? Who knows.

Mine's actually bolted down there, probably because it was the flattest piece of sheet metal they could reach.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ooo. Parts-rich combustion, ahoy!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Easy test to determine if you are ready to drive through the winter in a state that regularly sees snow/ice on the road.

Do you have winter tires on your car? No? Then you are not operating your vehicle with the care and caution that it is due, it is not properly equipped for the conditions, and you are probably a terrible driver.

Some terrible drivers will have snow tires, but they really should be mandatory and only about 5% of the population here (in a state that has 6 months of brutal winter) has them.

Some of us just run all terrains all year. :colbert:

I'm just putting new ones on tomorrow for the year, actually, because we can't run studded tires here until November, and the roads out where I work are terrible enough that the first solid freeze is going to make them very fun.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 24, 2014

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

As in all projects, more clamps is better.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

I'm entering a crappy robot competition later this week. I'd say the potential for mechanical failure is quite high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzs9qcKOKjs

That's a bike chain welded onto the shaft of a motor from an electric hand dryer that's been bolted into a crude steel frame.

It's actually pretty tame running through a variac at 50% power

Hope you're running that from behind lexan, as when one of those bike chain links lets go at speed it's going to make an impressive amount of distance.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Chainsaw chain sounds amazingly redneck and the best idea.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Why does anyone in the US ever bother to get a job working on cars? Seriously. The whole system sounds unbelievably dysfunctional.

Don't work on cars, don't drive a rig, and don't loving cook for a living. Three bits of advice my Dad gave me, too bad I only listened to the first two.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

Welcome to modern crash standards. I can't see a loving thing out of the back or rear side windows of my car thanks to the C pillars almost as big as my gut and the previous owner's tint, and the top of the doors are high enough that it's uncomfortable to rest my arm on top with the window down. I like the tint as it is, but driving at night in the rain with any traffic around makes changing lanes terrifying.

Yup. Welcome to why most everything new is turning into a similar shaped blobby thing with huge pillars and no visibility. Oh, and as an added bonus, all that bulk is ablative to survive theoretical high-speed wrecks... at the price of being incredibly expensive to fix after a little bump.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cakefool posted:

This was linked in the hilarious chemicals thread in PYF, I'm working through on my breaks and it's great.

If you haven't seen this, go read it : Things I Won't Work With.

It's intense.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Huge_Midget posted:

Yup. Substitute WI, IL, MI, IN, etc. for Minnesota. We're just as loving miserable as outsiders during the winter, but we just internalize it into anger and hatred and continue to revel in each-others misery.

Only reason to bitch about the snow in Iowa is because the idiots coming in on I-35 and I-80 don't know how to drive in it and turn the main arteries across the state into bumper cars every time it really snows. :/

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

nitrogen posted:

Kind of hard to see, but I got to see this during the everlong flooding we are having here in Texas.

I live right by a golf course built in a spillway. We had gotten about 2 inches of rain a few hours ago, and the water is gushing through. I was taking a ride, and not really thinking about it and saw the barricades to stop people from going through teh wash. I rode up a bit pas the barricades (BUT NOT IN THE WATER) to take some pictures.

I got to see this idiot in a jeep get stuck. IT's hard to see, but there's about seven inches of water on this road.

The gently caress did he get a Jeep stuck in 7" of water? :mediocre:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

homebrew posted:

Can't say I have ever worked on a Jeep, but I have worked on many tractors in my time, which from what I've heard is much the same thing.....

I think tractors rust less.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Phanatic posted:

Not failures as such, but a bunch of poo poo gets broken in awesome ways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfm4gvxNW_o

Bringing this back to the front just for how loving pumped the guys playing the War Boys are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Godholio posted:

What's a pug?

besides an adorable horrible mechanical failure

Drift rocket.

Ever seen one of them try to corner? It's an experience.