Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I-70 halfway between Kansas City and St Louis, traffic barely slowed down even though I could feel the heat on my face with my windows rolled up.

No sign of a fire crew. Just the driver standing there watching it go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Godholio posted:

I'm trying to imagine how something like this could possibly work.

It does. I wouldn't put one on every cylinder, but I had an engine that kept fouling the same plug, and it was an OK $3 band-aid.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ab0z posted:

Am I stupid or is an anti-fouler a washer that makes the plug a hotter plug by keeping it from threading in so far?

A tube that moves the plug all the way out of the cylinder head with just a small, like 1/4" hole where the spark and mixture can meet. Effectively an oil shield, but kind of a hack.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Gorilla Salad posted:

What's that in the water?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Oh, I was focusing on the white thing that looks like a moving truck van on the water.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

wolrah posted:

Now there's something to be surprised about. I had no idea powered reel mowers existed since they seem like they'd be much more complicated than the standard walk behind mower design we're used to now.

While reading about these things I found a lot of people claiming reel mowers cut better than modern spinning blade designs (shearing versus tearing the grass or something like that). Anyone know if this has any basis in reality or is it just the all too common issue of nostalgia-clouded judgment?

There's probably a reason the grounds keepers at professional stadiums and ballparks all use reel mowers.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Beach Bum posted:

I'm bored, cranky, and stuck at home. I left out the story. What's it to you? Is this not the mechanical carnage thread?

Also, bad driving? :downswords:

Seems like more of a human failure than a mechanical failure.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Mr.Peabody posted:

I don't know if this stuff is a repost yet, but it's relevant. You'd be surprised how weak metal containers are against gas pressure. Here's a train tanker that someone made the mistake of sealing after the interior was steam cleaned. The air inside cooled, and the pressure difference.. well..

Yea, it's been posted before, but it's still cool. Here's a video that was posted with it last time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WJVHtF8GwI&NR=1

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Thumposaurus posted:

Less of a mechanical failure more of a WTF nature.
A picture from a friend of a friend.

From the recent tornadoes a 2x4 driven through the sidewall of a tire.

Drag the slider across to level an entire town:
http://www.npr.org/2011/05/26/136655052/before-and-after-a-birds-eye-view-of-joplin

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Slavvy posted:

Hahahahahaha oh wow. What in god's name do you need a TV antenna that big for? I'm not being facetious, I genuinely don't understand the purpose.

Its a ham radio tower. Looks like VHF near the middle, and a couple of low-HF antennas at the top.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

General_Failure posted:

A lot of houses are like it. Currently the nearest broadcast towers are about 100km away. Previous to that when those towers were erected it was over 150km. It's needed because of obstacles / earth curvature.

e: that one is a little larger than most. Our neighbour has one but it looks a little shorter.
Our aerial is on the roof with guy wires and a really long pole.

I'm telling you: That's a transmitting tower, and the greybeard who lives there is into ham radio.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

some texas redneck posted:

I'm not arguing against them. :v: My only gripe is on my particular car, the intake manifold faces the front of the car.. so f I get in an accident severe enough to push the radiator back, the manifold will also get broken.

But seeing as I drive a GM economy car that's over a year old, anything bad enough to push the radiator in will be an easy write-off anyway :haw:

It's a crumple zone!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
How close did I get to witnessing a horrible failure on the interstate today?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I tried to wave them down, but "impending disaster" is tough to convey with hand gestures.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The automatic brake is triggered by rearward pressure on the tongue, so it won't do anything unless it spears through the car's bumper.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Cause watching the video felt like a waste of time and bandwidth.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
AvE got me in the door, but This Old Tony kept me watching.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I think I'll follow recommendations and check out This Old Tony though

Start with the go-kart build series. I think it’s the best over-all intro to Tony.

I prop up the iPad and make my 4yo watch “metal movies” any time a new ToT vid comes out.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Menards sells 5/4 boards in their fully-sanded “select” tier, so it’s not just a matter of unfinished. They’re handy for fancying-up door casings if you want more depth at the top.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ArcMage posted:

loving fox news using '$100G' for 100000$

gently caress them.

$100,000

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Times when I could use heated locks, my handles (and door gaps) are also covered in a solid layer of ice.

I once busted the drivers side door handle of a Corolla completely off trying to pull it through ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It’s not like that he remanufacturer really prepped, or even primed that part. That’s a 20 mile paint job.