Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Godholio posted:

Or a handful of LS9s. :unsmigghh:

Oh poo poo, LSX swap into the GT-R!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

D. melanogaster posted:

This was my first thought too after seeing the final shots of the carnage. The people in the Streetfire comments seem to think it was due to weak motor mounts but come on, it's Streetfire.

Edit: Holy crap, did the flywheel beat the Focus?

My thought was an exploded transmission sending the motor flying breaking the mounts.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

VikingSkull posted:

Same here. I worked for like two years in an aircraft refurbish shop right out of high school, and landing gear is the bane of my existence.

In a close second is the scar-inflicting pitot tube.

I loving hate pitot tubes. We have to run an extension on them when we install our camera system, the extension sits right at SLAM YOUR loving EYE OR FOREHEAD INTO IT level when looking at the camera.

Also loving pilots not turning off pitot heat (melts the rubber extension tube) and I put my hand on it and BURN THE loving gently caress OUT OF MY HAND.

They usually arent red either.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

MikeyTsi posted:

Still wrong, the Lancer Ralliart is AWD as well.

As of like last year, and I cant say I've ever seen one on the road.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Splizwarf posted:

Tire burst on takeoff and ruptured the fuel tank.

It was also recommended to the manufacturer to install kevlar reinforcements to the bottom of the fuel tanks as they had proven to be easily punctured, but they decided, along with the airlines that it was too expensive to be worth it.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Poing posted:

I just think it's unwarranted, that's all.

abloobloobloo

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sharkytm posted:

You should have seen the drag stack on my Penn GT when I hooked into a big-rear end tuna off Block Island. I had 300 yards of brand new 80# braid (the rod/reel is my bottom fishing/codfish rig), and I refused to let it get stripped. I cranked down on the star drag as hard as I could, and was jerking the rod tip up and down to try and part the 60# mono leader. Finally it broke, but the drag stack (a series of fiber and metal washers) was basically dust and melted/fused metal.

What language is this?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Comrade Flynn posted:

Guess this fits here too. Had this happen to me today during a beautiful drive up a mountain:

And the reason why:

That's some fine British engineering!

C63 time.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

trouser chili posted:

They cost of lot of money, yes. I don't even own a television that's less than 7 years old.

I feel bad because I already want to replace my 3 year old 42" LG.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Not eating pork roast for a while.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
We bought a cheap rear end Job Mate (cheap canadian tire brand) rotary tool and it sucked so hard, got hit in the face and arm a few time with shattering wheels, and the fact that its attachment method was horrible, I havent touched it in forever.

My mid level Dremel on the other hand is wonderful, the quick release cutting wheel system they have now rocks, and that thing can cut through anything. I used it to cut off one of the almost 1/2" thick steel tow hook on the back of my 240sx and it only took about 5 minutes because of the awkward angle, and it did it with only one wheel.

D C fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 1, 2011

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

rscott posted:

Good. For once something in this world is actually designed for us left handers!

No poo poo!

Althought it seems no matter what way I use a dremel I get hit with stuff in the face.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

grover posted:

Exploding dremel cutoff discs are painful. I've learned to always hold it so that I'm never in the plane of rotation.

Yeah I always I at least wear glasses, or a face shield when there's no way around getting hit.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Where did the rest of the hood go?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sigtrap posted:

Cool... is that the 4 or the 6 cylinder?

Dont often see 4 packs so I'm going with 6

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
That second picture looks like a bad photoshop

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Saw on the news that they were telling people after the hit that there was an electrical issue or something and dont be worried.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

NoWake posted:

I lost my axle nut somewhere in Tennessee. I live in Northern Ohio.

I'd heard the right front hubcap pop off as I was cruising up I-75 through Tennessee, but I didn't think much of it at the time. As it turns out, that popping noise was the end of the stub axle shearing off at 80mph, it's amazing that my wheel bearing has held up so far! I hadn't touched the nut since replacing the axles 5,000 miles ago. I guess I should either look at the torque specs again, or look for a different supplier for axles.

Your brake disc pressing on the calliper is the only thing keeping that wheel attached....

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Blammo http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vxeIFoDRub8

e: "Hmmmm, there was a bang and a whole shitload of fire came out of that hole. Yes, I should definitely stick my head in there."

I love that the hood is 10 feet in the air and people havent even noticed the boom and moved yet.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Delivery McGee posted:

My friend has a Honda Civic, and is from a mountainous area, so she reflexively puts the parking brake on every time she switches off the ignition. It's rather useless and I've been trying to train her out of it, now that she's in northeast Texas. That loving car will not move with the handbrake on, as I discovered the first time I borrowed it.

Why the gently caress are you trying to "train" your friend out of parking properly?

Are you also going to start training her that she doesn't need seatbelts in Texas?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Japanese too :mad:

Its probably from California if thats any consolation?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Das Volk posted:

I can't count how many parts are YOSHI HASHI KURO KATANA MIYAGI BAKA JDM DESIGN that come straight out of the loving valley.

Manufactured in Taiwan for a valley/industry company~

Yoshimura has a big setup in socal though, MY GIRLFRIEND used to work for them.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

BlackMK4 posted:

Oh, that's why my steering wheel was shaking over 50mph.

Odd eh?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

thecobra posted:

SUVs were just made for jumping poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GssvNBPB3A0

I'd like to think that is the drivers face setting off the horn.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

The roller on the (new) timing belt tensioner backed off on my A4 a few years ago, this is what you need to do to get access to it.

This is where the missing part was supposed to be.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Geirskogul posted:

Wait, that's what I'm seeing?! Holy poo poo :monocle:

Now lovingly shrink wrapped over the coils!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Hey man, gotta cool the bearings some how!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Reminds me of the Mercedes before the 90's. Look at the 190e... they are still running around, and many have well over 250K miles and still chugging along.

At least :911: is pretty good at not raising the standards!

I have a dealer info book from 1987 for the 300 klasse. Over and over the marketing speak spooges over how the ENGINEERS WOULDNT LET IT BE ANY OTHER WAY.

The one that sticks out is them using only analog gauges because the Engineers thought that digital ones weren't as easy to read or robust.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
There are a lot of automatic vehicles that can be flat towed?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

some texas redneck posted:

It's a common problem on the KA24DE too. Most people yank the intake manifold to get to it, but you can get to it from below if you have skinny arms :ssh:

The PCV valve is also buried under the intake manifold. :argh:

I was able to swap the knock sensor on my KA24 without pulling the manifold, and I dont have small hands or skinny arms. Think I used a wobbly extension and a grabber claw to hold the sensor.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is that show any good? I saw that it was from the makers of Canada's Worst Driver but it's so hard to catch up on those shows (either legally or not quite as much but defended by the home taping act :canada:) that I missed all of the episodes so far.

I watched a bit of that episode the other night, was pretty terrible. They dont actually do anything fun or cool.

3 challenges are:
drive around a tiny circle for 6 laps, slowest car gets destroyed.
drive up a steep ramp, car who has the lowest angle gets destroyed.
3 way tug of war, winner moves on, 2 others tug of war again and the loser gets destroyed.

didnt hang around to watch the final challenge.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Comrade Flynn posted:

http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/85083-forged-performance-the-truth/

This whole thread is full of mechanical failure gold. Guy spent $250k and waited 22 months for his GTR and got back a pile of crap.

http://www.myg37.com/forums/vendor-comments-reviews-feedback/207073-forged-performance-and-my-g37-tt-build.html

Another guy with the same experience with the same shop.

What a hack.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Poing posted:

Blow Dog had one of the first ones but he doesn't post here anymore, probably thanks to people trying to get up in his business too much. I think he moved on to a GT3 after a while?

He had a R34 GT-R, I dont know if i remember him having a R35, he got the GT3RS after he sold the R34 though I remember that much.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
My 2004 Ford Ranger had a bottle jack.

Though it was loving useless I found out one night when I needed to use it, it's not tall enough to lift the tire off the ground, had to walk to a grocery store and break a pallet that was out back to get some wood to use as a spacer.

It was a Ranger Edge, which has a slight lift from the factory, but its still a loving joke that it doesnt actually work.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
With s13's a lot of people jack the car up by the framerails because they are there, and flat, and easily visible, except they dent when you do that, even if they arent rusted. They are notoriously weak.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Fucknag posted:

Do S13s not have pinch welds? First thing they teach you at mechanic school is don't lift unibody cars by what looks like a frame rail, because they're just sheet metal like the rest of it.

They do have pinch welds up under the skirts, they also have shaped jacking points at the front and rear on the sils, only problem is finding a spot for the jack stands, which for me is usually a suspension mounting point, unless i have to take them off.

Most of the time I end up jacking the car from the front tow loop and using the jacking points for the jack stands, and using the rear diff to jack from the rear.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Sten Freak posted:

Crosspost from Subaru thread. I'm sure some mechanics have seen worse but this is pretty bad. 2008 Legacy.

It did it's job so I guess it's not a failure?

Looks like it filtered a cat, and the lawn clippings.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

I know its a bit different, but the giant bearing setup on the old Wescam dome housing is alternating stainless ball bearing and then a delrin rod, all running in a cf/resin channel. And every few years we end up having to pull the balls and rods and patch up the channel because it gets all gouged out.

The big gear at the bottom spins the outer housing to follow the camera.

also these fit because when they work they work pretty well for being almost 20 years old now, most of the time they are Horrible Mechanical Failures.

D C fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 15, 2013

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Splizwarf posted:

Excuse me, I believe you're thinking of Honda.

I've never quite grasped that, fresh air comes in the front, exhaust goes out the back.

Lets put the exhaust out the front of the engine and take the fresh air in from the back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

BlackMK4 posted:

Whoops. Moto3. Some of them run intake up front and exhaust out the back of the motor. 50-60whp from 250cc isn't bad.

All around lovely post by me though. :v: Wasn't thinking at all.

It makes more sense in a bike, the exhaust would come out right below the seat, right infront of the back tire, wouldnt want the extra heat hanging out around there, and then theres room from the front for a longer, tuned exhaust, around the bottom of the bike (which also keeps CG lower).