Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

buttcrackmenace posted:

I remember an article written by Henry Manning back in his Road & Track columns about the 2CV. He recounted seeing two of them crash head-on into each other... "there was a crash, a tinkle and a puff of steam, followed by two Frenchmen sitting in a pile of Citroen parts wondering what just happened. "
Some say that Volkswagen was the first company to invent the energy-absorbing crumple zone between the front bumper and engine. It was first introduced in the Beetle. :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

insurance inspector.

Phanatic posted:

It sure can be, though. Tire debris flying up into the wing and rupturing the fuel tank is what killed the Concorde. And here's a rejected takeoff test of an A340 featuring some spectacularly poor communications between the test director, the aircrew, and the fire crew, in which they're lucky nobody got killed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUMuOyMTQ8Y
That reminds me of this wheel welding test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiLeji8bLOk
Nothing happens for over a minute after stopping the welding, but then the temperature and pressure start to rise exponentially and the tire blows up.

And here's an Airbus A380 brake test on a dynamometer. The dynamometer energy is 125.2 MJ which is equivalent to 30 kilograms of TNT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1dv_y_3EK0

But why were they doing something similar on a real aircraft in the A340 test? Were they accidentally going faster than planned before braking or was their idea really to set the brakes on fire and blow the tires?

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

insurance inspector.

Xy Hapu posted:

A job well done

Is there also a brake pad wear sensor clipped to something definitely not a brake pad?

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

insurance inspector.

DiggityDoink posted:

I had an experience like this but it was a blizzard at 3am when everyone at work went home and locked the building. Then thanks to a wiring fuckup in the car, it would lock the doors every time you started the car. My phone and keys were sitting on the passenger seat and I ended up just breaking one of the partial side windows to get in. loving stupid Blazer.

A friend of mine was also in a situation where he had to break one of the windows of his car to get in. "I'll break the smallest one, it's probably the cheapest!" he thought. The smallest one was one of those little ventilation windows with vertical hinges in the middle, like in a beetle. (It wasn't a beetle but I forget which car it was.) Turns out it was the most expensive window in the car to replace. He would have saved quite a bit of money if he had just smashed the windscreen instead.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

insurance inspector.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There are plenty of content creators who don't make clickbait crap and do quite well. OTOH DeMuro is just pure crap with no redeeming features who would suck whatever the platform he is on.

Medical not mechanical but I like Chubbyemu because while his every video title is clickbaity as gently caress, the actual contents are well presented (and educational) medical cases. A Farmer Removed His Own Skin Cancer With A Pocket Knife. This Is What Happened To His Brain. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKaJhQBusH8

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

insurance inspector.
I was doing the same job just a while ago and I also wish I had known that after they have been on the road for a while, there are no such things as outer and inner tie rod ends, there are just tie rods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

insurance inspector.

Saukkis posted:

Where does the dislike for torx come from? It was the first good fastener standard and everything should use it, except for the applications more suitable for the common hex nut. The older standards are inferior and the newer ones are too rare and not enough of improvement over torx. All slot, phillips and hex sockets should be thrown in the Mount Doom.
Torx is great except it has WAY too many different sizes. I live in the Metricland and the thread diameters and the associated hex head sizes are very regular (M5 is 8mm, M8 is 13mm, M10 is 17mm and so on) and I can just eyeball those, but torx? Yeah good luck figuring out if it's T8 or T10 without sticking in various bits and wiggling them around.