Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Vanagoon posted:

Speaking of people getting fired: Is anyone here who saw them set a 727 down on it's rear end end some years ago?

It's not terribly rare:
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?album=134

Edit: apparently the best solution is to have a bunch of guys climb in the back door, form a line, and slowly walk toward the flight deck, slowly shifting the CG back forward and gently tipping it back onto the nosegear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Ha. I clicked this one first, because it seemed most representative. It was a bit bigger than my screen. "It doesn't look that ba--" [scroll right] "Oh."

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

InitialDave posted:

By some miracle, no death.
drat. Last time I saw a vehicle reduced to a pile of parts like that, it killed eight people. And they say motorcycles are dangerous.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 1, 2011

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
On a similar note to the train not giving a poo poo about missing rails, have a fighter jet with a missing wing crossposted from the aeronautical insanity thread:

In 1983, an Israeli F-15D had a midair collision with an A-4 during a training mission. The Skyhawk exploded on impact; the F-15 went into a spin. The pilot went to full afterburner and straightened it out, took a look at the damaged wing but couldn't see anything because of the cloud of leaking fuel, so he decided to try to land. He came in at twice the normal landing speed, tore off the tailhook, and finally brought it to a safe stop. He turned around to shake his WSO's hand and saw that he was missing an entire loving wing. When McDonnell-Douglas engineers came out to look at it, they assumed the crash had occurred while taxiing, because seriously there's no loving way that thing will fly with an arm off ... but it did. Apparently their simulations failed to take into account the fact that it has a greater than 1 power:weight ratio and therefore doesn't really need wings at full throttle, plus the engine intakes and wide fuselage provide quite a bit of lift. The pilot later said that if he'd been able to see how bad it was he would've ejected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LveSc8Lp0ZE

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

kastein posted:

I've driven my Comanche around with 2 quarts in it also... run it out of oil on the highway dozens of times, it leaked like a sieve and I didn't have the time to fix it. Oil pressure remained fine with no bad noises.
Yeah, re: the post kastein quoted, the Ford 302 acts more like a big six than a V8. A Ford 302 V8, Ford 4.9/300 I6, or, in kastein's case and anecdotes from my Jeep-owning friends, either Jeep I6 will keep running in any two of the following conditions: upside-down, underwater, no coolant, no oil. There were stories during cash for clunkers of Ford I6s running for an hour or more with liquid glass (i.e. aqueous solution of sand) in place of oil. I passed my I6 F150 down to my brother, who got in a fender-bender that tore a 2" gash in the radiator, and it was still purring like the proverbial kitten when he replaced it a year later -- he only drove short trips around town to school and such, and topped it up to the hole in the radiator before leaving every morning.

I've personally intentionally killed* one 302 with a lot of effort (similar symptoms to the one below, and once we got bored of it running fine with no oil or water we started pouring degreaser into the oil-fill hole).

*we gave up when it seized and the "check engine" light came on (protip: most CELs tell you there is a major problem but you can limp home, a CEL in a V8 Ford** means you should immediately hit the brakes and find a place to pull over, because you're about to lose your power assist); judging from the later experiences below, it would've been fine if we'd topped off the fluids but it was a beat-up company truck and a boss who wouldn't replace it unless it was hosed, and apparently we killed it hard enough for him.

I've driven another 302 ten minutes across town with a massive coolant leak (freeze plug or cracked block, it overheated to seizing a few times out in the boonies and I filled it up and drove home as soon as it cooled down enough to start), a blown head gasket, and the burnt-to-poo poo-oil/coolant emulsion barely showing on the dipstick (with two half-flat tires to boot) when I moved house, couldn't afford a tow, and had pretty much written off the engine already because of the milkshake coolant pouring out as fast as I could put it in. No problems in the last drive aside from a hellacious rod knock. Hell, it seemed to run better than the last time I'd driven it (and dumped a couple bottles of liquid glass in the radiator).

One of these days I'm either going to rebuild that fucker or take it apart for paperweights, and then I'll post pics.

**I've overheated a 4.6L, and the ECU drops every other cylinder's spark as an emergency cooling measure at the point normal cars would throw a CEL. The warning light comes on about half a minute later, 1.4 seconds before the radiator cap succumbs to the pressure and gives your engine a hot bath. Ironically, the best solution to rough running and/or high temp in a 4.6L is to floor the bitch, because 40mph is the speed at which the forced air from moving will keep the engine nice and cool with no fan. The radiator fan on my '03 Interceptor has been dead for over a year now, and I haven't had a problem after that first time, when I learned to park and go in for my "fast" food with a long line, and plan my commute to avoid traffic jams when it's over 100F outside.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

kastein posted:

Jeep 4.0L motors are made of pure unobtainium. drat thing just laughed and kept going, lifters rattling horribly...

It's kind of a thing in Jeep circles that the sixes (4.0L and the AMC 258ci) can run in any combination of two of the following: upside-down, underwater, without oil, without coolant.

The Ford 4.9L six and 5.0L V8 are similar, except the V8 tends to seize up if you get it too overheated ... but it starts right back up as soon as it cools off. I have a 5.0 Crown Vic with a leaky radiator, so I know from experience. I think it's also blown a head gasket, so what little water I put in it ends up in the oil. I've replaced it with an '03 Interceptor until I can rebuild the engine, but sometimes I have to move it because I need the driveway spot or drive it across town when moving house. It runs like a champ, though it sounds like a diesel. I'm sure if I put actual oil in it instead of the mostly-water milkshake it'd quiet down, but it's not worth the money right now.

That reminds me, I really need to change the oil in the cop car. It's been like 30k miles. I have the oil and filter, but it's always raining on my day off. :saddowns:

General_Failure posted:

The compressor I use for filling the tyres on everything is built from old truck parts. I doubt it does much in the way of moisture trapping. No problems here.
A washing machine motor and automotive A/C compressor (an old Ford one, with the oil separate, of course) bolted to a scrap of plywood (spaced so that whatever belt you have on hand fits) make a surprisingly good tire inflator. My grandfather built a rig like that, and we're still using it to inflate our tires. He's been dead almost 20 years, and it was old before he died.

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Why not R12 in an R12 system? It's readily available and $25/can the last time I checked at a local auto supply shop.
Really? In the US you have to be a licensed HVAC tech to buy R12, and it's all old stock -- hasn't been made since the early '90s -- so the price goes up every time somebody buys a can of it (I know this is the case with R22, the old house-Freon, and Google confirms that it's the same with R12). My dad (home HVAC guy) took the extra test for car systems just so he could get dealer-cost R12 to fix Mom's car A/C, and that was around fifteen years ago.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Geirskogul posted:

You're wrong. Unless you have an "economy defrost" setting, these diagrams I found show that it Fords work the same as every other vehicle and turn on the A/C to dry the defroster air.

I've had a couple of Fords with seized A/C compressors ('92 F150 and '03 Crown Vic), and I can verify this. You may not notice the compressor running in defrost mode, but you sure as hell notice when the compressor pulley isn't spinning.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Rujo King posted:

I bet his metal shavings pan has been slightly contaminated with oil.

For content, here's a Fiat Punto engine literally making GBS threads itself.

(From youtube.)
I've been wondering what to use as a drain pan when I finally get around to changing my oil. I never thought of cutting out the side of an antifreeze jug.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

PainterofCrap posted:

OTOH, anything's rebuildable if you have the money...

Especially since the first-gen Mustang is probably one of the few cars you can build entirely from mail-order parts. What other cars are on that list? The '57 Chevy was actually done awhile back by Boyd, I'm pretty sure the generic '32-ish hot rod can be done too, and I know from aftermarket 4x4 catalogs that a Jeep CJ is definitely possible (you may not be able to get an aftermarket AMC engine block, but if you want a Chevy V8 in it you're golden).

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

some texas redneck posted:

Mitch Hedberg posted:

I rent a lot of cars, but I don't always know everything about them. So a lot of times, I drive for like ten miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake. It's really not an emergency brake, it's an emergency "make the car smell funny" lever.
My friend has a Honda Civic, and is from a mountainous area, so she reflexively puts the parking brake on every time she switches off the ignition. It's rather useless and I've been trying to train her out of it, now that she's in northeast Texas. That loving car will not move with the handbrake on, as I discovered the first time I borrowed it.

My V8 Fords have occasionally had the foot-pedal parking brake applied, either intentionally when parked on the one hill within a hundred miles or accidentally when I bump it getting out. I usually don't notice until after I've backed out and shifted into drive, because it feels slightly more sluggish than usual.

I've also had the opposite problem -- my '71 Nova had a bad front wheel cylinder leaking into the drum, and once the rubber hose between frame and caliper on the front of my '84 Crown Vic rotted out. It wasn't so bad on the Ford, with its split master cylinder and power assist, and went out when I was at work three blocks from home so I could crawl through residential streets; pump the hell out of it, and it would eventually stop.

The single-chamber all-manual Chevy, on the other hand, shat itself at the beginning of a 20-mile Interstate/US Highway commute. The pedal was a little squishy at the traffic lights leaving town, but it still stopped, so I decided to try to make it home to my tools. That first offramp was definitely a character-building moment. Protip: slapping a Powerglide into low gear will slow you right the gently caress down, especially with a V8. It's like shifting from fourth to first on a 4-speed. By the time I made it home I was rev-matching the downshifts to simulate normal braking forces and then tapping the e-brake to take it from idling forward to a full stop.

I kinda miss that Powerglide. Accelerating at WOT, it shifted around 65mph.

LobsterboyX posted:

for a quick lol, these cars also do not have full pressure oiling systems, instead it has "dippers" that dip in to the oil pan and throw all around the engine.
My parents had a riding lawnmower with that type of oiling (Lowe's house brand with a 13ish-horse Briggs, I think). The dipper was made of plastic and broke at least once a year. Dad and I took that loving engine apart at least three times before he gave up and bought a new one.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Never mind that disconnecting the battery won't stop a gasser either, unless things have changed in the last 20 years (which they may have). More than once I've started a car, then swapped the battery for a friend's dead one with the engine running. Yeah, it took a couple years off the alternator's life, but it lasted long enough to get back to civilization.

I have had a gas engine refuse to shut off once, due to a wiring fault. Stopped it by pulling the coil plug off the distributor. If it ever happens again I'm just going to let it run out of gas of overheat to death.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

FatCow posted:

What coil?
I believe he was referring to my story of the gas engine.

All the cars mentioned in my previous post about hotswapping batteries were '80s models. I can see how it wouldn't be good with modern cars (and nowadays I always carry jumper cables just in case).

Leperflesh posted:

All these options are stupider than stuffing something bulky into the air intake.
Don't most industrial diesels these days have basically a cable that pulls the throttle butterfly closed (or a separate cutoff in the intake)? Is that available for retrofit to small-vehicle engines? Because if I ever get a diesel, I want one just in case.

I almost had a diesel as my first car, actually -- I really wanted a certain F250 (hey, I was young and stupid and fuel of any kind was cheap), but it was just a bit more than Mom was willing to pay. Fifteen years later, my brother bought a 10-year-old diesel F250, and the transmission exploded the day after he brought it home. According to the mechanic, they do that if you only drive them on the street with no load for years and then suddenly try to pull a 13,000-pound trailer in a muddy field (he was showing the truck off to his buddies by helping them with their hay harvest). He did manage to get the hay to the barn with bits falling out of the transmission, and between the previous owner being a stand-up guy and his friends being impressed and chipping in, my brother only paid $100 or so out-of-pocket for the fix.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 9, 2012

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Slack3r posted:

Comeon.. Its a 4.0.. Fill it with diesel, run it till warm, drain, fill with 6 qts 10w40 and a new filter. Maybe rinse off the outside with a bucket of hot water for your "fancy paint"...

As a generator unit, I imagine it will run until doomsday and beyond even without the "freshening up".

The only other rival would be a ChryCo Slant 6.
A Jeep I6 will run under any three of the following conditions: upside-down, underwater, without oil, without coolant. with sand instead of oil. A coworker of mine hydrolocked his XJ once, changed the oil, and it daily-drove it for a solid two weeks before the bent conrod left it.

Ford's 300 I6 and 302 V8 would be right up there. Really any ancient I6 is nigh-unkillable, but surprisingly a Ford 5.0 V8 can take a lot of abuse. I think I've told the story of my dad's work truck before, we tried to kill it so he could get a new one by running it without oil for so long that we got bored and poured A/C coil cleaner into the sump, and it still kept going. And my late '84 Crown Vic (finally had to scrap it after the city noticed it :(: ), which due to a combination of me being too poor to fix it with a job that required a lot of driving out in the sticks, and having massive cooling system leaks, had a blown head gasket for sure and possibly a cracked block from running it until it seized from overheating, pouring cold water into it, and starting it back up several times. I finally decided to buy another car when the water started pouring out faster than I could pour it in, but it always started and ran like a champ after cooling off. I think the last can of super-mega-stop-leak I put it it after the aforementioned "probably cracked block" incident actually worked -- the next time I drove it (across town on four half-inflated tires when I moved house, between the '80s boat suspension and the flat tires that was one hell of a squishy ride), it ran fine. Sounded like a Cuisinart full of marbles, but didn't give me any trouble.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
What's happening with the ones that just have a little puff of smoke and stop? Melting a piston/blowing every gasket?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

IOwnCalculus posted:

No idea if it was a diesel or not, and it looked to me like the smoke was billowing out from right up at the back of the engine / front of the transmission - you could see a good-sized jet coming down from there. My gut is either major fluid leak or extra-major exhaust leak, except I would think an exhaust leak like that would be insanely loud too.

My dad used to have a F250 work truck that had a 351 with an extremely leaky rear main seal that dripped right on the exhaust crossover. It looked like you describe.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

TrueChaos posted:

Backstory?

It's obviously a rally car, and rally cars tend to roll over.

But I googled the name on the side and "rollover" and this was the first result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuDaXxkOMrE

Picture appears to have been taken around 32.5 seconds into that video.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I think the original Ford Cammer deserves at least an honorable mention in the "ridiculous timing chains" category.

I like how they didn't even try to make it fit the shape of the engine. The upper chain was six feet long and, from what I've read, rather prone to failure. But when it worked, it gave half again the RPM and horsepower of the pushrod 427. NASCAR banned it before they even entered one.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Cakefool posted:

How do you puncture the hood in a hurry? Shotgun? :haw:

On a Jeep? Any proper trail rig should have a pickaxe and shovel attached.

(James May's Rommel-inspired BMW from the Top Gear Middle East special)

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Boomerjinks posted:

It's trying to become The Animal

My parents got me one of those when I was 4 or so. I was terrified of it.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

DJ Commie posted:

Mechanical oil pressure gauges don't have flow, they have a column of oil with pressure behind it, and I've never had one get hot. Same with oil temperature gauges, they have freon or some other phase-change gas in the line, not oil.

Or ether, as was used in the aftermarket coolant temp gauge I once bought but never installed after reading all the warnings in the instructions. It was bundled with a direct-feed oil pressure gauge and a similarly suicidal ammeter.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Memento1979 posted:

Free wrench!

(not my photo)

The tire shop I use has a jar full of things they're pulled out of tires, including a pair of pliers, a wrench, an 8" piece of 3/8" threaded rod, a deer antler, and various bolts/screws/nails. The pliers are actually mounted in situ in their display of damaged tires as the FOD example (handle in through the tread and out the sidewall, in case you were wondering).

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 17, 2013

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Slavvy posted:

I really want to know how this is possible. You read about it, and hear about it, and see those fluff pieces on the news where some geriatric plowed through the front of a gas station, but how does it really happen? How? You have thousands of hours of driving a car, every car is basically the same, your body is as accustomed to where the brake is as it is to wiping your rear end or turning the tap the right way to make water come out. On top of which, you have to hold down the gas for a sustained period of time AND jam it to the floor to get truly spectacular results.

I don't get it.

Certain vans, because of the width of the doghouse, have the pedals crammed together. Ford Econolines were involved in a spate of those incidents; having driven my dad's various E150 work trucks when helping him out on a job or rearranging cars in the driveway, I'll admit to having accidentally grabbed a bit of the gas while braking once or twice.

As to your second point, while I and you would probably notice the engine noise rising, think to ourselves "whoopsie," and shift our foot an inch to the left to remedy the situation, a lot of people think "isn't stopping PRESS HARDER," and then sue Ford.

In other news: Remember, lawnmowers need oil changes too!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

KennyLoggins posted:

A few years ago Panthers made headlines for ruptured fuel tanks in severe rear collisions, Ford got a lot of flak but really the only ones constantly out on the road in Crown Victoria's is law enforcement so your risk of immolating in regular Panther is low.

Yeah, Crown Vics got a bad rap because a lot of them took a truck up the rear end at 80 per. But it was more because any car would explode from that kind of hit and 99/100 of cars parked on the side of the interstate were Crown Vics, than the Pinto II situation that the news made it out to be.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

PA is seems to have a happy medium as far as regulations go. We have inspections but the only way you'll fail is if you go to a really picky shop or have a tragically terrible car. Only certain counties have emissions. I've had some really lovely cars that have passed though.

It seems to work as far as keeping really unsafe vehicles off the road and doesn't cost that much. Usually $60 for inspection and emission stickers and $30 for registration.
As has been mentioned, Texas really only requires working lights, horn, and windshield wipers; windshield itself is not an inspection item, but you have to have wipers flapping over the hole -- I knew a guy in the Jeep club who rolled his truck and got it inspected with no glass, but they did check the wipers. And if you Know A Guy, you can get pretty much anything passed.

And even if you don't bother, the cops will usually just give you a warning unless you're egregiously ridin' dirty and/or Mexican. Between myself and coworkers/friends, I have been party to four stops for expired reg/inspection. Two of them resulted in tickets, and those two were by the same city PD who have nothing better to do. State and county just said "Looks like you forgot to renew. Get that taken care of, okay?"

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 7, 2013

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Reminds me of the "toad found in a lump of coal" stories from the old Reader's Digest "Book of poo poo Charles Fort Made Up".

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

That can't be good.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Looks to me like he's just pumping the brakes. I may be wrong, but as far as I know the hazards flash the taillights, lights staying on and flashing brighter is brake lights.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

wolrah posted:

The modular motors would do the same thing, except obviously becoming a four cylinder. This thread seems to indicate it was only on the "Triton" badged truck motors though and not in the Mustang, T-Bird, or Crown Vic. The dealer made a big point of it when my dad bought a '98 Expedition back then.

My Crown Vic does it, as I've found out the hard way a few times at slow drive-throughs in Texas summers after the fan controller died. It may only be on Interceptors.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Valt posted:

I really don't understand why everyone is so scared of this. Its not like its spinning super fast and if you just beat it on with a hammer it probably wouldn't look as scary. This is probably for splitting lots of wood, which I'm sure a axe would get tiring after a while.

Yeah, it's not like it's an axe head welded to a flywheel with no safety mechanisms whatsoever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ejWHlPLaE

That's totally a good idea.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

atomicthumbs posted:

That explains how it still ran.

What is it about I6s that makes them nigh-impossible to kill even when you're trying?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I don't know of any tractors that aren't like that. I'm sure there are some, but engine as part of the frame is pretty standard.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I have an HF angle grinder and cutoff wheels, it hasn't impaled me yet (I've heard horror stories of HF grinders shooting cooling blades out the vents, and the wheels are said to be similarly explody).

As for the cancer warning, I smoke and weld, and wear a gas mask when grinding. It won't be the grinding wheels that give me cancer. :v:

I just bought a couple of HF ratchets the other day, to replace my Craftsman 1/4" (lost like MA 370; it's got to be around here somewhere, but damned if I can find it) and broken (and also currently MIA) 1/2".

Though the 1/2" was only $12, I'll be pleasantly surprised if it lasts, and no big loss if it doesn't -- I mean, I managed to knock a few teeth off a '90s Craftsman. (I'm one of those guys who uses a 3-pound hammer as a cheater instead of a piece of pipe.)

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Roommate had a flat tire, so I got to use the new HF 1/2" ratchet. It worked, even stood up to me jumping on it and using the hammer on it. Also found the Craftsman, it was in her trunk from last time we changed a tire.

She has those loving security lugnuts, and the one on the wheel to be changed broke. I would post a picture of the broken bit, but, um, measures were taken. With the 4-pound hammer.

I wonder if Sears will replace that? If not, roomie owes me a 19mm socket. :v:

Here's the broken bit:

edit: kinda want to drill through the lugnut and build an LED flashlight in it. Button in the threaded end, light in the drive hole.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 31, 2014

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Half the NASCAR rules are specifically outlawing things Smokey Yunick got away with once. There's also the 7/8-scale car, and another one with the same body as his daily driver so he could take the officials out to the parking lot and show them it was a real car when they called him on it.

Speaking of racing, they lost the first-place car at Le Mans for half an hour or so in the wee hours of the morning local time. Apparently it had an electrical problem and the lights went out, so all the commentators knew was that it was stopped, but couldn't get a camera on it. How do you lose a loving racecar in this day and age? It just crapped out and pulled over and they couldn't find it. Like, I could understand losing a '99 Mercedes up a tree, but it was right there the whole time.

Edit: '99 Mercedes loving off into a tree:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFN_Gp1eHN0

Cf '90s NASCAR before the roof spoilers. The car's shaped like a wing, disrupt the airflow and it takes the gently caress off.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 15, 2014

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

tater_salad posted:

:stare:

I can't even fathom what allowed that huge rear end piece of metal to be bent like a banana.

Well, you know how diesel engines have massive low-end torque? It's a diesel the size of a small apartment building.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
That's also how they did the classic hot rod exhaust flamethrowers -- install a switch that cuts out a sparkplug or six up front and activates a sparkplug in the tailpipe. Rev it, bump the switch. Obviously it works best with mufflers that are only technically legal. Well, it works best with no mufflers at all, but there's not much difference between a proper glasspack and a solid pipe, aside from passing inspection in rural Texas.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Maybe the hydraulics can't hold pressure long enough/build enough pressure to lock them up. That counts as ABS, right? :v:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Tangent from the current discussion: my cousin's fist car was a '90s Bronco with a 4-speed stick. One time his mom's car was broken and she borrowed his; when she gave it back, she complained that it was a bit slow off the line in the low gears. Turns out she didn't realize it was a 4-speed and never put it in first, having learned to drive stick on Grandpa's '70s three-on-the-tree F100, and half the time she was taking off in what she thought was second. My aunt's kind of a badass, apparently.

As opposed to her sister/my mom, who took her first husband's '67 Mustang fastback to the dragstrip once, and trashed the clutch in one pass. She did win, though.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

stinch posted:

Yep, the plates will pop off the rivets. You could probably even break a bicycle chain with your bare hands bending it in that direction.

Yeah, you want it in the direction it can flop when it hits something it can't tear apart, centripetal force will still make it a very good weapon. As it is, it's just going to shatter on contact.

Also, thirding chainsaw chain.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Motronic posted:

Wait.....you actually got a flat from a shed?

I think you deserve some kind of award or something.

There's an antler in the "weird poo poo we pulled out of tires" bin at my local tire shop, apparently it's not that uncommon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

QuarkMartial posted:

Why does the 6.1L V8 have a lower towing capacity than the 5.7?

And both lower than the smallest V6. I was thinking maybe the 6.1 was tuned more for top-end than torque, but wikipedia seems to disagree. Though the 3.0 V6 is a Benz design, they probably use it in heavy trucks in Europe, that explains its massive torque -- equivalent to the '05-'08 5.7.

The transmission doesn't seem to make a difference, seing as how the lowest and highest ratings have the same. Maybe some weirdness of which rearend is available with which engine? Like, a stronger diff/lower gears is only an option with certain engines, and the 6.1 gets highway gearing?

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 8, 2015