Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Ever wonder how much of a beating a shipping container can take?

This recent mechanical failure from Poland was brought on by a large ship that suffered a mechanical failure and ended up poking the crane at the wrong place at the wrong time.

But this is nothing compared to the mega-crane that fell in Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Cakefool posted:

We use Kone's at work, I'm sharing that one out. Do you have a link or more info?

Original Polish: http://www.portalmorski.pl/zegluga/zegluga-promowa-i-roro/31931-wypadek-w-gdynskim-porcie-prom-uderzyl-w-suwnice
Decent++ English site: http://gcaptain.com/stena-ferry-knocks-container-loading/

This event is no fault of Kone's but still makes a good cast study , so you know what the scene might look like if a similar collision and collapse happens. Seems everybody made it out alive from this one, but quite smashed up.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 27, 2012

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

XK posted:

First she said the truck cut her off, now she says the brakes on an effectively brand new Porsche failed and did nothing when she pressed them. I'm going to say yes, Lindsay Lohan qualifies.

And the trucker says the bodyguard~etc people who followed her in an Escalade offered to take him straight to the bank for hush money, but he had already called for help.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I wonder if this was a mechanical failure, a failure by design to save people in the cabin in the event of a total frontal smashing, or if it's just something that happened by chance from from speeding, losing control, launching with a hard landing, continuing across school grounds before ending up in a sturdy fence.

The driver was in good enough condition to jump out and beat a random passer-by so bad he had to be taken to hospital. loving Sweden.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Pretty sure it's this - a large part of dispersing the energy of an impact is now used to tear the drivetrain out of the car. Hit the mounts hard enough and the engine will usually want to go down and out, unlike older cars where it would just sit on the crossmember.

This makes an excellent text-book example of it, thank you.

The driver probably wanted to hear "DUDE THAT WAS SO COOL" from the random passer-by but got shunned.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Mechanical failure: Some local car tuner who looks like pink flesh with eyes and a baseball cap thinks it caught fire because he rushed mounting the gas tank. I'm thinking it was divine intervention, friction and an improper mounting.

Potential failure: He's got an NSX. Never seen it on the streets and I'm praying it's been kept tasteful.

Mental failure: Another local tuner has a Murcielago body-kit on something that sounds like a barely running tractor engine.

Love my town.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

From my observations in nothing but salt and sand Sweden I'm willing to say that your Mazda Numeral series have had cheaper manufacturing than ours. Need mid 90's and older to spot any rust at all unless it's a disaster of a model or a reborn wreck, my mothers 20 year old 323 gets jack for cleaning and service but it's fresh compared to the Mazdas posted here.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Saw the driver pull out of that poor excuse of a drive-way with a sharp 4" drop from sidewalk to pavement with a nasty crunch one evening, now it's sat there like that for a week. That's gotta suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

:ohdear: