Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
About a year ago, I get a call from a friend of mine saying his truck just went "BOOM" while on the expressway. He said it had been shaking for a while, just "didn't have the time to get it looked at."
:ughh:

I don't think "BOOM" was the only noise made here:

I can only imagine how long it was like this before it let go.

Note the near perfect indentations the drive shaft made in both the muffler and the gas tank.

Amazingly enough, the drive shaft somehow managed to not slip out of the trans. I told him to count his blessings and then play the lottery in hopes he'd win enough money to pay to have a new drive shaft made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

b0nes posted:

:stare:

Did this car fall off the back of a truck? I honestly can't see what else would cause that much damage.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

nurrwick posted:

Quasi-crosspost from the stupid questions thread (friendgoon Susan Calvin is the owner of the car, I just took the picture)

:woop: - The tire keeps going flat, I guess I'll take it to a shop and have something looked at.

:haw: - We replaced your TMPS sensor with a plain valve since we don't have the replacement part. Here's the old one. Stop using metal valve caps.

The body of the sensor is fine, but that's a pretty sweet valve stem failure, especially when you consider the cost of the unit is (she's told) $140+ from Ford/Mazda. Thanks, technology! Too bad there isn't a mandatory 8yr/80k warranty for the stupid safety poo poo the feds mandate like with emissions equipment.

The valve cores like to strip out on them as well if the caps have been left off. :argh:

I cannot even begin to express my displeasure with TPMS systems. I don't understand why they had to mandate such a useless waste of technology. I don't need it, I keep an analog one in my glove box. :colbert:

Epic Fail Guy posted:

Is this how they initiate volunteer fireman into the Pharaoh gang?

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Arrived at work one day to find this in the parking lot:

Broken ball joint maybe?

Oh. :stare:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

EightBit posted:

Tell me that the Metro was towed...

It had to be towed. Not only was the tire right up against the wheel well, but the arm pulled far enough out to actually pull the inner CV joint completely apart.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Quote != Edit

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Goober Peas posted:

:words: :words: :words:

Guy's Trailblazer grenaded its transmission

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=22724

In only 19,000 miles?! Just when I thought I didn't have enough reasons to hate those trucks. Good lord. :ughh:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Post Pictures of Horrible Mechanical Engineering Failures.

lovely cell phone pic of a "simple" alignment on a 2002 Volkswagen Passat (54k miles) gone awry due to the outer tie rod becoming one with the inner tie rod thanks to corrosion:

As if it wasn't bad enough to not have any means of adjusting the front camber/caster whatsoever, trying to free the tie rod up was a delightful waste of time. There's very little room to work even with the tire off; and the only options are penetrating oil and vibrating it with an air-hammer, since the heat will not only melt the bellows boot on the rack, but also the rubber insulation that holds the threaded half of the outer tie rod into the ball socket end of the rod. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

I honestly never thought I'd see a tie rod design that could compete with the poo poo that is the 300M/LHS/Intrepid mess, but VW/Audi managed to pull it off. loving horrible. :colbert:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 25, 2011

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Had this little gem dropped off last week, the owner said he "just needs the rear lower shock mount re-welded".

Ummm...

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Arrived at the shop the other day to find this in the parking lot:

And the money shot:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
So, a tow truck pulled up just as I was leaving work today:

What's that hanging down...

EDIT: \/\/\/ Chicagoland. Go figure. \/\/\/

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 12, 2011

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
This 96 Plymouth Voyager makes a delightful sound when it gets jacked up, funny story really:

I lost count of how many of these I've either fixed or recommend that the owner junk their van because the damage was too severe.

It seems to me that the alleged "fix" is more of a temporary stay of execution:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Nerobro posted:

I'm going to suggest something more shocking.

Ponder the fact that there's enough of a demand to have someone MARKET this product. Thank you chrysler.

It was originally only available through OEM distributors; and if I remember correctly, it was on back-order for a short time after it's release.

It's not shown in the picture, but in addition to the pop-rivets, it also comes with a tube of JB-Weld type epoxy that you use to coat the existing tower prior to dropping on the cap and pop-riveting it into place. It's messy and it smells bad.

Thank you Chrysler, indeed. :rolleyes:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

PainterofCrap posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, check your parking brakes...

(from Bring A Trailer, my hosting)

Was in there for the better part of an hour :(

abbreviated story here http://bringatrailer.com/2011/12/07/wheel-chock-delete-1968-porsche-912/

Kinda reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVtQkHYyfEg

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 11, 2011

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

front wing flexing posted:

Not sure what's going on here. Figured you guys would know. I'm referencing the left rear.

Either a broken spring or a bent control arm/axle, possibly from backing into a parking spot and hitting the concrete parking block.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Skyssx posted:

I've got no problem with school busses being the most durable things on the road. None.

They make water cooled welding suits?!

Sorta.

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 15, 2011

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Have you checked your ball joints lately?

You probably should.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Remember that thing about ball joints? It also helps that if you replace your original ball joints with grease-able type ball joints, don't go with cheap parts.

Also, regular lubrication is a good idea too. I've seen a lot of negligent poo poo like this in my 11 years of fixing front ends.
I don't think I'll ever understand why so many people overlook/underestimate this stuff. :negative:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
So wait, what time is it again? :confused:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

tater_salad posted:

I think that's military time /24hr so subtract 12 from it and you get 2:20

I forgot to mention that this car's engine was actually running when this photo was taken. :downsrim:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Throatwarbler posted:

Lamborghini in its natural habitat.

:stare: How did this happen? Judging by "natural habitat" is it common on these?

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

nm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdnxWDp7mFE
Fastest time of the day too.

:aaa:

Seldom has the line between dedicated and suicidal been so blurred. :downsbravo:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Nope, just a broken/missing sway bar end link.

Over-designed garbage. :colbert:

E:
\/ :stare: I stand corrected. :stare: \/

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 14, 2012

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Chinatown posted:

Just an electrical problem, please continue eating at the buffet. Thank you.

Well saltwater has never mixed well with exposed electrical wiring so I can see their point. :pseudo:

So are they just going to leave the ship as it is to the elements or try salvaging it for scrap at least? I can't imagine the cost of excavating and repairing something like that as opposed to just replacing it with one built from recycled bits. :signings:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 15, 2012

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

A student posted:

Yesterday two people drove their cars into the ocean.

The video only shows the second car go in. A car the driver borrowed from his dad.

The accident wasn't a mechanical failure but it's still worth watching.

Found with this article. That's one lucky kid. At least until his dad finds out :argh:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 9, 2012

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

The Third Man posted:

This is not so much a cry for help as it is a suicide attempt. loving hell :ughh:

From work a few weeks ago. One of these Nissan Sentra control arms is not like the other, especially after hitting a curb at 30 mph:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Maker Of Shoes posted:

How to remove your engine REALLY FAST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b603DA-JE0U

I'm amazed this worked, this is incredibly dumb and and and.... :stare:

Haste makes waste. Thankfully nothing of value was lost. :banjo:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
2006 Ford Explorer. "There's a clunking noise in the rear."

Good to see that Ford at least learned how to make springs that won't puncture a tire when they shatter completely. :ughh:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Bucephalus posted:

Parked it when the spring broke, just got their tax refund so they can finally afford to get it fixed.

Bingo. I haven't fixed it yet, but I'll see if I can get a pic of it's gangsta lean before I do.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Savington posted:

um

Composite rotor, I presume?

Was this thing rusted on and removed with a sledge, or was it in an accident?

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

Noise going over bumps you say?

Good to see that the Caravan/Voyagers aren't the only ones pulling the strut through the upper mount. YAY MOPAR! :downsbravo:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

thecobra posted:

uhhh no it doesn't. It makes it look like a 96 + Dodge / Chrysler / Plymouth something or other. Almost an intrepid but the headlights give it away.

That wasn't meant to sound as bad as it looks. Just saying that those three brands were badge engineered. You missed one, and also one year off. :spergin:

I had the exact same problem with the older K-car chassis models as well, they're all the loving same...

I blame all this unseasonable warmth we've been having lately:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Hello Spaceman posted:

Looks fine from here. Alfa Romeo Giulia 2-litre - pretty trick motor with programmable distributor, etc.

But all the programming in the world can't help...

... low-octane fuel that causes the piston to break and lunch itself.

:stare: I can't even begin to imagine how that must of sounded. Wow.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Since we're talking about mechanical failures leading to fiery crashes; it's amazing how a broken rear control arm can lead to one of the most :stare: NASCAR wrecks in history:

Juan Pablo Montoya crashes into a Jet Track Dryer

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 9, 2012

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Splizwarf posted:

B-b-but chains are better than belts because they last forever and don't stretch!
:goonsay:

kastein posted:

Let me introduce you to a concept known as the "non interference motor" :v:

:negative:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
It is if it had air suspension. :pseudo:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Is he buying wheels and tires on an installment plan? :confused:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Where there's smoke, there's:

I measured the rotor at about 350°F when the car (02 Toyota Solara) first came in. I had to let it sit for a good 10 minutes or so before even trying to get the wheel off.

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 23, 2012

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Lady drops off her 1998 Ford Expedition at my shop for a brake inspection. When asked what kind of problem she's having, she simply says: "It makes noise in the front."

Bringing it in from the parking lot was a borderline suicide attempt. Aside from the extremely low brake pedal and the horrendous metal-on-metal grind of what's left of the front brakes; there was also an obnoxious groaning creak every time the suspension moved or the wheel was turned.

First thing I saw after pulling off the right front wheel:

Turns out that one of the bolts that go through the caliper slide and hold it to the support was missing for so long the other one just finally snapped under the stress. Look close enough and you can see the snapped end still in the support, also what's left of one of the pads themselves:

The brake rotor. Not the worst I've seen, but still pretty bad:

Oh, and about that creaking noise:

How some people can risk their lives like this is just :psyduck:

\/Not for passenger vehicles unfortunately. Illinois is weird like that.\/

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

kastein posted:

on a 2000 Ford Explorer:

chrisgt and Slow Is Fast will recognize this...

whoever designed the stock rear leaf shackles for the Explorer was a god drat idiot, it's some kind of goofy slotted sheetmetal thing and they corrode to nothing super fast up here. Even my rustbucket 96 XJ's shackles were in way better shape than this (i.e. they were still functioning and in one piece instead of two) and this was years newer. I suspect they used lovely metal for those shackles too because the rest of the car was pretty clean, in fact the rear axle was the cleanest I've ever seen in the junkyard, still had most of the paint on the axle tubes.

I've replaced many a collapsed leaf spring shackles on Explorers/Rangers alike. How was getting the bolts themselves out of the bushings? They always seem to rust themselves together for me. Jerks. :colbert: