Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This cylinder rocks!

Did those cylinder rocks come standard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
So my friend got in an accident the other day that he walked away from with only a minor injury. The lady in the other car was lucky as poo poo nobody was in the back seat. Apparently the speeds involved were relatively low (~30-40 MPH). I'm posting this in the mechanical failures thread because a) his airbag failed to deploy and, b) Toyota (that used to be a Corolla) safety????

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

renraku posted:

It seems your friend is the one that's lucky no one was in the backseat. He must've riding the poo poo out of her rear end to do that much damage. And I'm no expert but unless that lady was at a complete stop there's no way that's a 30mph accident.

Apparently he was taking a swig out of his coffee while cresting a slight hill on a freeway on-ramp. CalTrans had just installed a brand new metering light (this was the first day it was up and running) and the car in front of him had just got the green when he cleared the crest.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Tell your friend he's a poo poo driver and a danger to everyone on the road in that truck.

drat, you mad bro? Accidents happen and I've seen a lot worse accidents from people doing blatantly stupid poo poo. Ya it's his fault, but complacency, a blind hill and recent road changes will ruin your day.

Alereon posted:

To be fair, the Silverado overran the rear of the Corolla, so all of the energy was absorbed by the trunk lid and contents. I don't really see how that could be prevented. I've read a bit about overrun protection in train design, and even if you wanted to spend the weight I don't see a lot of structure in the area that the vehicle was hit. But yeah, your friend's right to own a large vehicle is now rescinded.

This happened in Central Cali where the mindset of "bigger is better" is alive and well. I showed this picture to a couple of my friends and their "hurp derp this is why big 'merican trucks are better" response was typical redneck all the way. It's funny because a stock Silverado around here is a small vehicle. If that car had been rear ended by one of the bro-truck driveway queens that frequent the area that lady would likely be dead.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Cuntpunch posted:

10% more speed and a kid in that back seat and your 'bro' would be facing some serious charges. "I didn't know they changed something on the road" isn't an excuse for crashing into someone else - only an admission of being an ignorant manchild.

Because every person that's died in an accident has resulted in the person at fault being charged with a crime. :wtf:

I guess where you live there's only at-faults. But I digress...

After studying the pics a little more it looks like you guys are right in the pickup riding on top of the frame. Also, it looks like an older Corolla so it likely wouldn't hold up as well as a newer model would have.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Previa_fun posted:

I'll bet that was a LOT closer to 40 than 30. He's at fault, I think it's natural for him to underestimate the speed he was doing...

Nobody's disputing that he's at fault, it's pretty clear given the circumstances and the fact that he rear ended her. In CA that's pretty much all the evidence insurance needs to right you up for an at-fault accident.

Breast Pussy posted:

mcdeth just tell your friend to put the coffee down more often. it wouldnt hurt for him to get a more reasonably sized vehicle too but i figure you should start with the easy stuff.

Well, he's a farmer so I think in this case the larger vehicle is actually justified. Now, if he had a pavement queen and worked as a shoe salesman...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

bolind posted:

If you get caught driving a foreign car as a danish national, without the foreign owner being physically in the car, your fine is twice the tax and registration you'd theoretically owe. For the car pictured, we're probably talking somewhere between 50k and 100k USD. Needless to say, only people with little to lose do this. (Or fuckoff rich people who don't give a poo poo.)

Tax and registration are a quarter of the cost of vehicles in Denmark? Holy poo poo...