Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This made me cringe. I worked at AutoZone for a good while and changing people's batteries was 4 out of 5 times loving awful.
- terminals & cables long since corroded away
- batteries with gaping holes leaking acid
- everything you can think of used as a tie down including rocks, childrens toys, speaker wire and my personal favorite a huge loving chain of paper clips.

You seem like me. I keep mine clean, and when I noticed corrosion I went and got some stuff to clean it up.

Even have 2 wires for my amateur radio just ran between the battery knobs and the wrap around connectors (sorry, I can't remember the names of each) irks me. I wish I knew of a way to make them look like they should go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

stizu posted:

Maybe I am wrong, but from this I am assuming that uapyro is competing in DB drags or any sort of car audio competition that requires a concourse section. Another assumption is that uapyro isn't interested in paying $40+ for one terminal. Also I had always thought that cables were subject to the "only as strong as the weakest link" adage. Can you buy 0 gauge gold plated wire?

I think you got the wrong type of radio in mind.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

stizu posted:

Maybe, but I got the impression that you were just attaching the power cables by twisting them around the bolt of the terminals. So I suggested plain jane terminals that have extra spots for accessory power. I mentioned db drags and whatever the other thing was because I figure that gold plated connectors might matter in those situations. Amateur radio = HAM, right?

Right on the HAM/Amateur Radio.

Right now it's the wire with probably 1/2" to an 1" of wire stripped off, and inserted between the battery post and the ring that goes around it. I'm a newb at the car stuff so I'm not sure if I'm using the right terms. I didn't even know they made something with the extra spots, so I'll take a look at that. Thanks!

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Paul Boz_ posted:

uuuugh I had no idea these were on youtube. Good bye rest of my week.

Agreed. I'm already watching my 3rd episode now.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

sharkytm posted:

Honda would get my nod for small cars. Our Fits are easy to work on, although little to nothing breaks. We've got a combined 150k on two of them, and the failures thus far are: one coil pack, and one rear wiper motor. The wiper was covered under warranty. The coil I changed out in less than an hour, including swapping all of them around on the two cars to diagnose which coil was failing. I've worked on recent civics and they aren't bad either.

Reliability wise, both Kia and Hyundai make darn good cars. Don't know about working on them, however.

I agree on the Honda mark. I've got a 2004 Civic, 143,000+ miles, and so far I've gone through 6 tires, set of rotors, set of brake pads, and an oxygen sensor. The only other things that are on my to fix list are the right rear window motor doesn't work, and a bolt under the driver seat seems to be broken making the seat move occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

netwerk23 posted:

I bought a set of 3 ton jackstands from Harbor Freight. They don't have the nice locking pins that the ones I got from AutoZone ("Big Red!") do but they work. I was surprised to see each one printed with the 3 Ton sticker as a close reading of the box showed that they were certified to carry 3 tons combined, not individually. Maybe that labeling is standard and I'm just naive?

Every set of jackstands I've seen have all said that it was the combined weight, not individual.