Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Psylocibe posted:

Guy takes a piston to the chest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB-YwpvoPRY

Can't stop laughing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Wrong thread, that just proves that Ladas are indestructible. Some friends of mine drove a Niva into a ditch and it was completely undamaged.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Oil in the head bolt hole when you torqued down the bolt?

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Not to point out the obvious, but there probably wouldn't be any oil on the dipstick after throwing a rod through the block, even if there was oil before. That's pretty nasty.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

RandomPauI posted:

What did your mechanic do? Or not do?

To me, it sounds like the mechanic missed that a fuel filter screen was badly clogged with debris from the gas tank and instead thought nothing was wrong. The clog decreases the flow of fuel and so the engine runs poorly.

I could be wrong, but a fuel pressure test wouldn't reveal this issue if the clogged filter is downstream of the pressure gauge. Since the filter in Shifty Pony's photos looks like the type integrated into the carburetor body, this is probably what happened and why the mechanic missed the problem. You can test for a bad fuel pump and some carburetor float problems with a pressure gauge, which the mechanic might have incorrectly initially suspected it to be.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Who steals a steel wheel off of a Hyundai AND leaves the hubcap behind?! I'd bet the owner took the wheel off, who knows why. That's just weird.

Edit: They probably curbed it (look at that hubcap) and unseated the bead so they took it to fill it up somewhere.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
From what I've read, guibos aren't designed to handle the flex involved in driveshaft misalignment, so they're not a real alternative to a u-joint. Ireland Engineering uses machined metal dummy guibos to test-fit the drivetrain alignment, then swap it out for a rubber one.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Has anybody here ever used aftermarket nylon fuel line?

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Total-loss lubrication systems are under-appreciated these days.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

warcake posted:

Dude, who doesn't have a dedicated screwdriver for shorting starter motors?

That reminds me of this section from the book Hackers where an MIT machinist gets pissed off because his tools keep getting stolen and destroyed by the nerds during the night:

Hackers posted:

One time Nelson used [...] a screwdriver and in the course of his work marked it up somewhat. When Bennett came in the next day and found a damaged screwdriver he went straight for Nelson.

Nelson and Bennett got into a shouting match, and during the course of it Nelson said that the screwdriver was just about "used up", anyway.

Used up? It was an incredibly offensive philosophy to Bennett [...] To people like Bennett, things are not passed along from person to person until they are no longer useful. They are not like a computer program which you write and polish, then leave around so others--without asking your permission--can work on it, add new features, recast it in their own image, and then leave it for the next person to improve, the cycle repeating itself all over when someone builds from scratch a gorgeous new program to do the same thing. That might be what hackers believed, but Bill Bennett thought that tools were something you owned, something private. These hackers actually thought that a person was entitled to use a tool just because he thought he could do something useful with it. And when they were finished, they would just toss it away, saying it was ... used up!

A few nights later Nelson wanted to perform some completely unauthorized adjustments to the power supply on a computer on the seventh floor of Tech Square and needed a large screwdriver to do it. Naturally, he went into Bennett's locked cabinet for the tool. Somehow the breakers on the power supply were in a precarious state, and Nelson got a huge electrical jot. Nelson survived nicely, but the shock melted the end off the screwdriver.

The next day Bill Bennett came back to his office and found his mangled screwdriver with a sign on it. The sign read USED UP.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
That reminds me of calculus class somehow...

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Air France 447!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Fayez Butts posted:

Not really a horrible mechanical failure as just a horrible failure

This is at my local $250/month very nice makerspace