Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturę et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
So.. what the hell happened there? Turbo failure and thus engine runaway?
[Edit] Video does say oil overfilling caused that, but how's that possible?
[Edit2] Oh yeah, there's always the breather tube, but I think that would require massive overfilling..

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 17, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan

GWBBQ posted:

I remember, from my unfortunate time as a lube tech, the old Mercedes-Benz diesel engines had a small lever next to the intake manifold that had "STOP" printed on it. I can't find a picture, but I'm sure someone here knows what I'm talking about.
Yep, my father has an old Mercedes 200D, and there is a lever in the fuel injection pump that cuts off fuel. Came in handy when the vacuum operated shut-off failed. (Seriously, amidst the wires to the ignition lock, there's two vacuum tubes, and if either one of them leaks..)

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 18, 2009

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
Sorry for the doublepost, but there's a distinct lack of pictures on this page, so I thought I should at least contribute something.

"Hmm, so none of the gears work, but there no extra noise or anything from the engine or the gearbox? Ok we'll come and and pick it up, and we'll look what we can find out. It shouldn't be anything serious.."

Differential in a Peugeot 405 decided to grenade itself.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
Have you ever had the pleasure of seeing what happens when a rock strikes an older style non-laminated toughened windshield?

I have (five years ago though):

That poo poo made the loudest boom I have ever heard, and after I pulled over and was trying to get my pulse back to somewhat normal levels, you could hear the glass make these crackling noises. And by some miracle, the windshield stayed in place instead of flying against my face at 80kmh.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan

Blinky Blinkerson posted:

Did you have to "Ace Ventura" that poo poo home ? Never seen anything like that before.

No. My dad's workplace was nearby, so I called him and after a quick look we removed most of the glass and he drove it to his workplace, where it stayed until we could install a new windshield (made sure it was the laminated type). I was still a bit too shaken up to drive anything :v:

Godholio posted:

That is crazy awesome-looking...pretty sure I'd have sucked up the seat cushion though. How old is "older style" like that?
The car in question is a 1974 Mercedes 406 van, so it probably had the original windshield on.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
We demand pictures! :colbert:

And while we're waiting for them, here's another horrible mechanical failure from me:

"The gears seem to engage, and the clutch feels fine, but it won't move? No extra noises either? OK I'll come pick it up"

..well that might have something to do with it. (From a free Peugeot 405, and the remains of the differential)

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 17, 2011

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
Have another exploding motor (tractor pulling):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tl-XXu7QXI#t=108s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
In the winter wonderland of Finland, we have E85 in addition to the normal trio of 95E/98E/Diesel. Though mostly limited to a specific cold station chain, but it's available. And to keep somewhat on topic, that leads to fun news when someone notices that E85 is some 40 Eurocents cheaper than 95E, and assumes it's just some cheaper version of regular gasoline. Few kilometers later they'll find out in very expensive way that no, it isn't :v: