Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

The Age posted:

He had suffered extensive "blast-type" injuries to his head, chest and abdomen and could not be saved. He died in hospital about 10am.

That sounds like the kind of euphemism you save for something really horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Safety Dance posted:

This is probably a horrible mechanical failure being prevented, but I thought the sheer power involved fit the theme of the thread.

I was leaving the basement of the Georgia Tech Library last night when I heard a noise like a freight train start up. As I left the building, that turned into an incredibly loud roaring/hissing noise from the direction of the Georgia Tech Steam Plant. As I got closer (but still not in full view of the steam plant), the sound reached painful/damaging levels, and I put on my motorcycle helmet to mitigate it. When I reached the steam plant, I saw this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKfE9HThrxA

To put things in perspective, the steam plant is right next to the A marker on the map, and the library is in the top left. The pipe venting steam is in the area circled in blue. Bobby Dodd way is a major pedestrian artery to and from the library, and was being pretty heavily used at the time.

The sheer volume indicated to me that the venting is nowhere near normal, and I wondered what sort of overpressure catastrophe was being prevented. I peeked my head into a window of the actual plant expecting to see people running around, but instead I saw one guy, calmly working on something pipe-related. As I got to my motorcycle, I heard a sound like a giant valve turning, and the roar of the steam died down to nothing. I peeked back into the window, and the guy calmly working was nowhere to be found.

I was at a coal plant that did that when they started up. IIRC it was to flush air and liquid water from the tubes and steam drum after service.

It was painful from over 200 m away, even though the plant was pretty low pressure (1800 psi) and the outlet was fitted with a suppressor.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Dick Trauma posted:

Amazing and horrifying 8 minutes of street cars and motorcycles wiping out on the Nurburgring Nordschleife back in 1970. Engine bays are vomiting up their contents, glass pours out of frames and drivers are ejected like James Bond just pressed his little red button.

The only safety gear present: a condom in the cameraman's wallet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xwc54G2Ur8

Does upholstery unhook that easily in modern cars?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Nothing failed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_0xifuTqVA

Fairbanks-Morse model 32D stationary engine with an interesting exhaust setup...

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

TotalLossBrain posted:

It is unfortunately fairly "common-place" for radiography sources to do this kind of damage. They are usually Cobalt-60 and put out ungodly amounts of gamma radiation. Normally housed in a shielded carrier that gets opened via a cable just for the exposure. Sometimes it gets left open, sometimes it falls out, gets picked up by others, etc.

I worked at a coal plant that had cobalt 60 sources for measuring the level in the coal silos, and there was a dead-serious certification/recertification process with the NRC for the person in charge of it. Absolutely the same level I see now that I'm in the nuclear industry.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

TotalLossBrain posted:

Well okay....I suppose SL-1 was a criticality "accident". There were rumors from people who knew those involved that said it was a love triangle gone wrong and the removal of the control rods was in fact not accidental. Hard to say now.

The love triangle story is so ridiculous that it should have been rightfully forgotten by now.

Also, SL-1 final rod maneuver would be termed a reactivity initiated accident (RIA). Hypothetical RIAs, like the ejection of one or more control rods from the core, are the kind of hypothetical event that people design all reactors (and their safety margins) around.

SL-1 was no exception, but the behavior of the core changed as the affixed neutron poison inserts (which serve as a kind of permanent brake on the rate of reaction) came loose from the core. It should not have been possible to begin with. It was negligence that allowed it to get that far.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Darchangel posted:

I imagine that works just great, until you want to use the spare tire as, y'know, a spare tire. Now it's flat, because you were cleaning your windshield. Superior German technology. Clever, but stupid.

It's such a fine line between stupid, and uh...

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

CommieGIR posted:

Nah, they'll go back to CAT5 ports being used as RS232 a'la CISCO style.

I wish I could have bullied the inventor as a kid.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

veedubfreak posted:

Some fuckhead out here drove down the shoulder of 225 on Tuesday during rush hour, sideswiped multiple cars, caused 4 separate accidents, then abandoned the car at one of the light rail stations and got on the train. The car was registered to him. This is the kind of stupidity that makes me lose hope in the human race.

http://www.9news.com/story/traffic/2014/07/15/i-225-car-crash/12667445/

Is there a term "statutory DUI"?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Uthor posted:

Does that eventually come back around to being awesome? Like the North Korean copy of the Vietnamese copy of the Chinese copy of the Russian copy of a BMW design?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Anyone go straight to Amazon to look for David Macaulay books?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

ionn posted:

We just started working on our 24Hr-Lemons*-racer-to-be 1991 Mazda 323 (BG), 1.8L DOHC.
(* not quite, but the Swedish relative of it)

Folkrace?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

ArcMage posted:

Basically you need to be more specific, because 'stainless' is a huge family of alloys running from 'lovely grade 2' to 'the stuff we make reactor vessels out of'.

I think most LWR reactor vessels are made of carbon steel. That's what makes Davis-Besse, unit 2 so :catstare:.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This thread is surprisingly awesome.

Here's the infamous Furze video where you get to see an engine run with no head. Educational!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8gvgISVHak

Is it the oil supply that's the limiting factor here?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
I'm still angry about the bulbs not having enough contacts (?) on a 2001 B Sprinter's rear light cluster.

Nothing to add, just needed to get out. It just broke confusingly.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
So I remember the jokes about the oil change schedule on VW TDIs being like owning a two-stroke Trabant.

Is that level of oil usage just normal for everyone now?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

`Nemesis posted:

the junk man using a Honda is new to me but here we are, not my pic but local to me

American trailer chains are a trip

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Messadiah posted:

Sorry what, please elaborate

US trailers: Trailer hitch on a ball mount (usually), with chains to keep the trailer attached to the vehicle if the hitch pops off.

EU trailers: Trailer hitch on a ball mount (usually), with a panic line that fully activates the trailer's brakes (before shearing off) if the hitch pops off.

I can't see why the US version wouldn't just leave you with an uncontrollable car because of the swinging trailer (if the safety chains are under tension) or an uncontrollable car because the trailer's rammed up against the back of your vehicle (if the safety chains are under "compression"). In the EU version, you at least separate the dangerous part of the system from the passengers.

It doesn't seem like keeping the trailer from separating should be its own goal -- either way you've got a bunch of unexpected objects standing still in the middle of traffic, in the end.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Phanatic posted:

The what now?

Do US trailers not usually have their own brakes?

Here you can only drive max 40 km/h (25 mph) with an unbraked trailer.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Well then. :mildpanic:

May God rest your souls.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

The Door Frame posted:

Any time a poster says anything about actual requirements in their driving test, I know they aren't American without looking at who posted it. I had to do a hill park during my test and if it ever gets brought up in conversation, everyone in the room gets surprised they tested me on something so difficult

I've gotten my driver's license in the US, and multiple licenses in Sweden (some of the lowest pass rates and highest cost in Europe), and the driving test isn't significantly harder. The road design in the states I was in was simpler, but not that much.

The real difference was the theory test. I've had final exams in engineering courses that required less studying. And you have to do it all over for each of your other licenses (e.g. motorcycle, heavy trailer).

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

evil_bunnY posted:

what state? how long was the test drive in each case?

Nebraska and Illinois. I'd say about 20 min of actual driving in both cases. The road design is easier, but the actual tasks we had to accomplish weren't that different. I didn't even have to parallel park in Sweden.

But, as I said, the theory test was massively more difficult in Sweden. And it definitely made me a better driver than I would have been, if Sweden and the US had driver's license reciprocity and I didn't have to redo everything from Square One.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

SlapActionJackson posted:

How much more training did the Swedish license require before you could even sit for the test?

The Swedish license doesn't require any training.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Invalido posted:

It does require the risk2 low friction skid course thing though, surely that counts as training?
No, I wouldn't count it.

The state of Nebraska issued drivers between 16-18 years old a "provisional operator's permit," but requires them to either log 50 hours of driving practice with a parent, or go an approved driver's education course (no such requirement exists if you wait till you're over 18).

That's the only time I came in contact with a training requirement in the US or Sweden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Bp at some stations has the pumps switched, everywhere else it's green for diesel, seen a few bps where gasoline was green and black was diesel, all on the same pump. Almost hosed my wife's car up because of it before but caught it because the nozzle is bigger.

Is the nozzle size standard universal? Or is there e.g. an EU standard, a DOT standard etc?