Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Beach Bum posted:

Thank you for the comprehensive list

Really?

Fiat aren't really known as being the most reliable. I'm not sure what the process is but it feels like the person calling the shots is a madman and the designers are fairly competent. So at least the way I see them are bad ideas well implemented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

A boxer engine is only acceptable in an air cooled application with timing gears. Also, every Subaru I have ever heard sounds like a bug with a dead cylinder.

Besides the porosity of the aluminium, I thought the EA81 was a good boxer. OHV so no complex timing belt and the pushrods contained within so not a huge amount of pushrod tube O rings to leak. I mean it's nothing special but as an engine it worked well.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

tater_salad posted:

It's gm so it'll be your brake lights which means you need at least 1 friend.

Not sure about other models but my Niva is an utter bastard for this. I can say after having touched most of the vehicle it's designed to be easily user serviceable however it's clearly meant to be quick work for two people. For one it's a nightmare. Adjusting the rear brakes and handbrake with one person? gently caress you. Adjusting the timing. gently caress you and if you don't have the hand crank still good loving luck (I do thankfully). Only a few fairly easy to reach nuts or bolts holding something on? Oh it's spinning? Yeah that's not a captive nut / stud you're dealing with there. Just get your buddy to hold the spanner on the other side. No buddy? gently caress you.

Content.

http://imgur.com/7Lkqj53 Just a fullsize link.

Take a good hard look. To save non Aussie Goons the hassle, It's a Ford Falcon wagon.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Nubile Hillock posted:

is...is that window fiberglassed back together?

Look closer. Clooooser. I suppose it's more terrible car stuff really, but there is an awful lot wrong in that photo. I couldn't get a better shot but I can say if the police saw it they would have hit the jackpot. A horrible structural failure.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Data Graham posted:

See, usually the circular arrow icon means "engine turning over".

Like when the engine mounts break?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

If your alternator isn't also a bolt-type belt tensioner then you don't understand the glory of multi-tasking brackets for the sake of packaging and engineering :japan: :911:

Not only that but I have to loosen the pivot bolt too which needs the two piece stone guard removed. Also:

quote:

Alternator
Every 10.000 Km carefully dress the alternator slip rings with glass cloth, check the brushes
for wear and seating and replace them if necessary. The brushes should move easily in the
holders and should have no chippings. When the car is driven constantly on dusty and dirty
roads perform this operation more frequently.

Sounds too much like :effort:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

All MJs, XJs, I believe all YJs, and possibly some TJs got the bolt tensioner. Not sure. WJs and late TJs (unsure of year split) I believe had the spring tensioner.

???

My Partner's XJ has a spring tensioner.

I can't even imagine the level of masochism that must be needed to do body mods on a Niva.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Powershift posted:

the 2013+ 3.5 and all 2.7 ecoboosts have a stretch belt. You cut the old one off, and need a $50 tool to put a new one on.

The water pump is driven off the timing belt though, so you can drive until the battery is dead and it won't mean an engine rebuilt if you do.

So if the water pump bearing fails the engine self destructs?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

bend posted:

Xf falcon wagon ...I broke every one in about a month

Mechanical failure right here. Old Falcon door handles. gently caress them with a machete! Look at them sideways or even have a passing thought about them and they stopped working.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Terrible Robot posted:

We used to own a 2001 RAV4 with a stick. Loved that little SUV. Anyway one time it ate its transmission with no warning at about 120k miles. We'd bought it used and it was obviously well outside of warranty but the dealer we bought it from and took it to for service contacted Toyota and we ended up getting a whole new transmission for free. Never did find out what happened though.

The '96 Rav4 we have screwed up it's 5th gear detents or something shortly after buying it. Did some reading and it's a common issue that's fixed for a while by replacing everything to do with 5th gear. It would cost more in parts to repair than I paid for it. So it's an honorary 4 speed like so many others of the year range. It is high enough strung that it tends to piss me off so I hold it in 5th. Weird thing is if I'm driving way too slow for 5th but put it in, it doesn't pop out even if I hit the accelerator and let it shudder and chug from lack of revs. Same goes for stationery and slipping the clutch against 5th. Don't worry. I just did these trying to figure out wtf.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Shai-Hulud posted:

I'm always baffled at the size of engines in the US. The biggest one you can get in an ambulance here in Germany is as far as I know a 3.5 liter v6.

Have you seen the size of the people they have to move?

My guess is just 'Murica.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Eehh. Those joints could have been worse. I had a combo recently. That usual wear, plus a side that had needle bearing dust and a tapered inner race... or whatever it's called on a universal joint.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

What age and skill level of student? Should this person have a handler of some kind in normal life? Do they pay to replace it? Are you allowed to tase your students for stupidity?

To this day I can never understand how it's possible to make it through life without a knowledge of how tools work and how to use them. I do honestly mean that. How can a person survive without knowing how to do anything?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

When would they use tools? When you buy furniture, you can have the the store deliver and assemble it for you. When you move, you can pay the movers to disassemble and reassemble your furniture. If you take your electronics to someone else to have it fixed, you never need to learn how to use a screwdriver. If you don't build anything, you never have to use a saw, or a drill, or a hammer. In our modern society, it is very easy to make it through life without ever using a tool.

What do these people do?, besides producing a lot of the content for this thread. I mean I guess my background is very different from theirs. I can't imagine what it'd be like to never do things for myself. It'd be like real life with cheats enabled.

e: ^^^^ Nice. I'll have to see if it's on Netflix Australia. I watched the older seasons on YouTube. I'm not much of a TV person but I do like shows that have me non-stop yelling at them in horror and anguish.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

InitialDave posted:

That was me.

I used to have that book.