Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands

SiB posted:

Dodge 4.7 blew the camshaft caps to poo poo... How in the crap does this happen? I'm thinking oiling issues but not sure.

Based on the fact that it looks like the rockers are non-existant, I'd say one of them acted like a pry bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

Not to turn this into the tools thread, but does anyone sell a case like that with no jack in it? So I can use my existing trolley jack, of course. Bonus points if it holds both big rubber HF chocks.

To contribute to the actual thread, I use scissor jacks, they're great! As chocks, in a pinch.

Pelican makes some sweet-rear end cases.

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1780HL

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

I had a very similar jack in my 72 Dart. I can still feel the pain of pinching the meat between my thumb and finger every time the jack head would release from the ratchet and come flying down the pole.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

Noeland posted:

Not too horrible, but this is what a decade of cavitation looks like.

Pump came out of a media filter for a cooling water sump (think of it as a really big pool filter).

Discharge cavitation. Someone needs to increase their filter PM's.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

Rapid Unplanned Dimensional Alteration

This is what happens when you run a shaft in a bronze bushing without lube. 3600rpm for about 30 seconds.

What's interesting about this failure is that bronze is fairly soft. If you look at the failure, there is very little plastic deformation. It looks like one big fracture event.