Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
now THAT is a mechanical failure. ^^^

Regarding those UAV pics of Fukushima, that one little truck-based crane they have spraying seawater on one of the stricken reactors seems pretty pitiful. Like "hey, we'll just turn this garden hose on and spray it on the massive pile of molten metal here. Everything's gonna be OK guys!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
199k miles and still going strong on my original clutch. 2000 camry v6

It's all about how you treat it. I have friends who routinely will still be slipping the clutch like 3-5 seconds after the car has started rolling, and during every upshift while getting on the accelerator HARD, too. Get your foot off that pedal, yo.

Plus my dad went for a trip with me in my car recently, he'd downshift from 5th->4th->3rd from about 65mph without even attempting to revmatch, just jamming the stick down a gear and dropping the clutch. Come on Dad.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 1, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah, my response to helmet teasing in school was "well, I wear one on the dirtbike too :colbert:"

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Edit: It would seem that he rolled the ACR previously and bought it back after they totaled it out.

yeah if there was ever a car to just poo poo on til it blows up, it'd definitely be a wrecked neon.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah that turbine's death whine is pretty great. It's like "NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo whyyyyyyyyyygod"

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I've been wondering about the elevator thing, too. I work with both liquid nitrogen and liquid helium (physics lab) and we regularly travel with dewars in the elevator because the helium liquifier is in the basement and the lab is on the 3rd floor. How else am I supposed to get it up there, send it up unattended in the elevator while I run up the stairs?

This is a serious question, everyone here rides with the dewar. But sometimes I'm riding up and I'm like "huh, what would happen if this ruptured?"

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I did that same thing to the swingarm of my gary fischer hi-fi pro. Got a new trek fuel 7 frame for free out of it (it was less than 9 months after I bought the gary fischer)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Delivery McGee posted:

My friend has a Honda Civic, and is from a mountainous area, so she reflexively puts the parking brake on every time she switches off the ignition. It's rather useless and I've been trying to train her out of it, now that she's in northeast Texas. That loving car will not move with the handbrake on, as I discovered the first time I borrowed it.

Yeah, maybe you should teach her to stop using blinkers, too. Oh, and I guess there's no real need for even parking it in gear, because it's so darn flat, huh?

Seriously, sit in your car with the engine off, and knock the shifter out of gear. Pretty easy to do, eh? Why would you trust your vehicle to something so easy to accidentally disengage, when there is a piece of equipment made specifically for this purpose?

I have had more than one friend who would refuse to use the parking brake. And I have had more than one friend whose car wrapped itself around a tree/building because they refused to use the parking brake.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
There's a fine line where in light snow (at night) highbeams really help but then it starts snowing a bit more heavily and HOLY gently caress I can't see poo poo!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

The way that rod is bent makes it look like some sort of weird mushroom.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

law abiding rapist posted:

Yup, mechanical fuse. Straight from the mouth of your friendly local Canadian jet turbine repairman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_gpIAfOrdo&hd=1&t=215s

Ok this guy is the best youtube channel I've ever seen. Thanks for this!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Hmm, just got back from a trip where I rented an altima with the CVT and DBW. I figured it was just the CVT being super responsive as often I'd suddenly rocket forward when lights turned green, but after reading this I suppose it was probably the throttle software instead.

The CVT was actually pretty cool though, way more responsive than a normal auto.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I can't believe you just got me excited about a chrysler 300. I would so buy that (or the chevy cruze diesel)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
A highschool friend posted his new car on facebook the other day

And yes it's turbo/awd.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

MikeyTsi posted:

Not a mechanical failure?

Not until you roll it, that is.

Though I suppose that's really more of a "structural failure."

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 8, 2012

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I had no idea that spares were optional on so many cars now. That just seems like a horrid idea.

One winter in Denver I came out of my apartment to find one of my brand new snow tires had gone flat. I needed to get to summit county and I didn't want to use my donut so I tossed my summer back on that wheel (it was one of the rears). That was a fun drive, the back would kick out every time I turned opposite to that side of the car - it was snowing pretty good.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Lord Gaga posted:

This whole post is about firearms "engineering" if that is not your cup of tea feel free to skip it.

I just wanna throw it out there that the firearms industry has a reputation for employing poo poo engineers by offering hilariously low pay. Coincidentally a company, possibly Knights Armament but more likely Kel Tec, recently posted this:
http://www.sosemploymentgroup.com/j...dnhub36b2%25260

The average starting salary for a mechanical engineer just graduating with moderate experience at the nearest university is 45-60K.

These geniuses wanna hire a veteran manufacturing engineer with the same experience I have only 10-15 years of it for 50,000. I have the EXACT skill set they're working for and if they said that to me, a person who doesnt even have their degree finished, I wouldnt need to think before turning it down because I have already gotten asked to interview for positions making more.

A few years ago I was lucky enough to have a chat with an engineer at a firearms mfg and he was kind enough to share salary info for several major firearms manufacturers. I will relay what he said below taking out some parts I shouldn't share:

I responded and he sent an additional very insightful email

How does this extend to firearms manufacturers in other countries? I have to believe that European manufacturers employ better engineers than we do in the states.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Haha yeah I was thinking more like SIG or something. I mean, the swiss must do it right, right?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I want to see that. A friend has a supercharged seadoo that's ~200hp. It's totally ridiculous, I don't know the acceleration numbers but it feels like you're immediately going 70 the moment you squeeze the throttle.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Gusting wind + sidestand = spilled gas and wounded pride

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Transmission from a kenworth (part of it, anyway)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
How come you see so many RVs towing generic cars on all four wheels? Camrys, RAV-4s, Wranglers, etc; with the type of people that drive those RVs most of the time, I can't imagine their cars are stickshift.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

Though the demon core is also up there.

Holy loving poo poo I have no clue how the hell this was allowed. A great quote from the physicist standing right next to the guy during the second incident (Alvin Graves): "[Fallout dangers associated with atomic weapons are] concocted in the minds of weak malingerers."

Jesus these guys were pretty chillaxed about their job.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Sounds like it is a lemon.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Magnificent.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Slavvy posted:

I take it you're in NZ/AUS? I think the forester is overtaking the legacy for unadulterated terribleness now.

This is the truth. I don't know how they accomplished it so quickly, going from "awesome wagon with tons of storage space/headroom" to "is that a RAV-4?"

I saw a 2005 outback parked next to a 2013 XV yesterday and I shed a single tear for the death of the midsize subaru wagon.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Wait, is the filter inside the banjo bolt?

Hasn't anyone ever learned about maximizing filter area?

E: Goddammit, this is exactly what they've done, probably the stupidest idea ever:

Holy poo poo :psyboom:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

In fairness, they did say that they were a transmission shop and not an exhaust shop...

Wait nevermind, here's what they did to the bellhousing:

Those pictures make me want to punch whoever thought that was a good idea.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

D C posted:

I've never quite grasped that, fresh air comes in the front, exhaust goes out the back.

Lets put the exhaust out the front of the engine and take the fresh air in from the back!

Is it because the exhaust side of the engine gets hotter and thus needs the cooling more? And the wonky placement means it gets a cooler breeze?

Just a thought.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Actually I know most of the IT guys in my building run dual screens and default to just having a huge browser window spanning both. I don't know how they do it; I have two screens but my second one is only used when I fill my primary one up or need to extend my workspace.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Loose lug nuts

This happened to my girlfriend's car too; after she got it back from the shop she kept complaining to me that it "felt like a wheel was about to fall off!" :rolleyes:

So after a few days of that I had her take me for a ride, then I got out and had her drive by me once because it felt like her rim was bent and I wanted to see it from outside the car. Turned out her lugnuts were just finger tight and one of the wheels was cocked at an angle because of it. :stare: So her original assessment was in fact accurate!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
No picture, but I saw a truck worse than that uhaul last weekend in the UP (Keeweenaw actually). It was a dump truck, an old Mack I think, that was owned by a logging company, and had *no* license plate. It turned in front of me on a two lane highway and I ended up following it for about an hour. I first noticed "Hey, this thing's driver side front wheel sticks out a lot more than the back wheels do." Then I noticed that he kept swerving around, almost like he had to fight the natural inclination of the truck.

I then asked my passenger if they could see the passenger side front wheel sticking out, and they were like "I can't see any wheels on this side...". That truck must have been rolled or somehow bent in a concave shape towards the driver's side. It was seriously sketch, and I have no idea how a truck of that size could be so badly hosed, or how the hell it was still being driven. I'm assuming it lacked a license plate because there's no way it was safe enough to pass inspection.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I am dumbfounded that Bosch still exists as a company. Every experience with a Bosch product (both electrical car components as well as non-electric parts) has ended with my throwing up my hands and vowing to never buy Bosch again.

It all started with a vw coilpack.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
When I was scrolling down and saw that top of that pic my first thought was "oh hey, somebody is posting a picture of a radial engine from an old aircraft."

I stand corrected.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
What kind of smarmy loving rear end in a top hat owns a expensive car but doesn't get the oil changed?

(Actually come to think of it, probably a lot of expensive car owners do this.)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
And replacing a motherboard is a bit less intense that replacing an engine.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

rscott posted:

Back in 2005 I worked on a project replacing the token ring network in an Owens-Illnois glass factory with ethernet and the PCBs on the workstations in the hot side of the factory were so brittle that trying to install a new NIC snapped the motherboards in half in at least a half dozen cases.

My first IT project was replacing token ring networks. Goddamn token ring was some pretty metal tech, especially the newer system that had physical relays in the hub to keep the ring unbroken.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
That is one of those jobs that you think "holy poo poo this job is gonna be so cool" and it's only once you get a few months in that you start slowly realizing what you've signed yourself up for (chasing random faults around on a tight schedule while working for people who give no shits, just FIX IT NOW!!)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Even Red Green would be ashamed of this man's handiwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

kastein posted:

I have to say it is a bad rear end picture though.

Either the timing's off, or there is a half inch wide gap burned in the HG between two opposed-firing bores... guess how I learned that could shoot fire like that too? :haw:

I want to see a picture of that.