Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

Prelude Gundam posted:

3SGTE exhaust manifold to turbo gasket (found this way after a bottom end replacement of the engine):

Found this way after the bottom end of the engine was replaced at the dealership (which necessitates removal of the turbo)

B18C meets amateur engine builder:

Valve head on the left looks so

B18C5 meets amateur STR33T R4C3R:

I always thought I'd end up 12 o'clocking myself on a bike first:

Just happened tonight and prompted me to post in here again.

Augh I hate when those cheap chairs fail. Ive broken 4 of those damned things over the years (Im 150lbs) one broke in a simmilar manner, one had the arms (which attached the back to the bottom) fail and one just snapped in loving half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

If you have got a tractor supply around they have wheels that would work for that.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

Good lord, my volvo builds up something that looks exactly like that on the oil cap. Yet the oil comes out the standard black (grayish from excess gas, short trips) That looks nasty as hell.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

Jonny Nox posted:

Gas mowers are ecological terrerism man! I've been using one of these since high school!

What since 1962?

If I could find a good cheap reel Id rock one out.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Hey so just crossposting this, tried to start my parts car up. Taking all bets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYhtmJWe7E

Gah! I need to know whats causing that noise, my buick was making a sound similar to that while driving it to the junkyard. Experience has shown if you drive long enough that noise will go away and you will suddenly have very little power.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

akeidolon posted:

Fun fact: The vehicle this came out of came into the shop under its own power. Didn't sound that bad either, all things considered.

How the hell do you break a cam shaft? Or would that be simply from a casting flaw?

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

Ouch, good thing it didnt lock up. I had the ring gear explode in my volvo 740's rear axle in a parking lot. Locked my tires right up, I could go forward and backwards about 2 feet before locking. I have some pics around here somewhere.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

B4Ctom1 posted:

Requesting picture of the USAF truck that crashed into the nose of some high performance aircraft parked on the flight line.

I don't have a picture but I have a story. In 1988 I saw a mid 80's GM truck that looked like this can on the side of highway 4 in the bay area in California.

I saw the same CHP officer later and asked him what happened. He told me the guy used a tow strap to tie down a load in the bed. He never secured it after dropping off the load he threw the excess strap into the bed. It came partially loose and it got caught in the driveshaft. It fell down between the cab and bed and squeezed the frame rails together, it was still attached to both sides of the frame and "up and over" the bed. it crushed the bed and pulled the cab back and down into the bed.

Luckily nobody was injured.

That would loving suck, driving down the road and CRUNCH. I would be so confused to what just happened.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

Good lord, looks like the motor ran for a min after it failed to make all those dings. Bet it sounded beautiful.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

Some random pics of destruction.
The first 2 were from an unchecked coolant leak (into the oil)

These are from never changing the coolant.

This motor apparently ran alright for the condition it was in

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

dissss posted:

You probably shouldn't GIS 'guardrail crash' then (although it doesn't actually find the incident I was looking for where a Commodore wagon hit the end of a guard rail sideways right through the back seat knocking the occupants out amazingly without killing anyone)

'commodore crash' also has some shockers

Found this through that GIS link

How the hell, seriously goddamn.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

Well I looked at the site again and heres the description: In this unbelievable crash in 1994, the driver was in line at the toll booth on I-294 in Chicago when he was rear ended by a truck. Amazingly, the driver of the pickup truck suffered only a broken nose and some bruises! Very Surreal! Must of been a hell of a truck, drat f350s.

They have a ton of seriously wrecked car pics http://www.carbuyingtips.com/disaster.htm

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

Wow many people of gotten good at replacing poo poo alts! If you have a lincoln mark vii with a bad alt, give me about 10-15 mins and itll be replaced. Fucker went through em like candy, took it on and off 9 times in one weekend. That time it was the voltage regulator, loving $11 part caused a day and half of misery.

Its great in those cars when they fail, I had a full digital dash so I would be driving just fine then come up to a stop sign/light and the dash would go out and the car start trying to stall. So I would throw it into neutral and keep the revs high and do my damnedest to not too badly neutral drop it. I could go everywhere like that, it just sucked so I usually would drive the last mile to my destination and call AAA to get towed home.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

Every blown up component of anything at work I toss in a big bin, and on break I just make it into little guys that I hide around the shop. I've probably made about 40 by now in 2 years and they're just starting to notice them everywhere.

This is the only one I brought home because it was the first one I made and I was pretty amused with myself. They generally have arms and halves of washers for eyebrows and other silly things.

You gotta post more pictures of these, they sound awesome!

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

Ive always thought it should be required to take your vehicle to the nearest parking lot on the first good snow and gently caress around for an hour or two to learn your vehicle. I watched people go in the ditch on one stretch of freeway by my house for 3 days. Yet somehow in my truck with rear tires that may as well be slicks never went in, despite hitting ice and immediately being shot sideways about 20 times. Many 4x4s, suvs, fwd cars in the ditch, yet the 86 ram on crap tires in 2x4 has little issue. People even in south dakota turn into complete retards when this strange white stuff falls.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

we use turbines too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtUB1yI035g

Seeing this and the related "fastest full pull" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7kJF-LjosU&feature=fvw I wonder if anyone has taken one of these tractors on the strip, if they can pull the heavy load that fast they have to be impressive if they have the gearing.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

I wonder if a food saver would make enough vacuum? I have one, canisters and the hose for the canisters (somewhere) if I find all the bits Ill totally do a can.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

So thats what the inside of an ABS controller looks like, thats kinda awesome.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

Powershift posted:

Failure mode for the ford is locked, which is what happened to my f-150 resulting in seriously terrible fuel economy. In my dodge, the failure mode was unlocked, which is bad because the entire assembly on the dodge is mounted on the back of the front axle, and is prone to getting removed by deep mud.

At least with the dodge isnt too hard to keep the front engaged without a vacuum, I simply pushed the fork into the engaged mode and filled the damned vacuum actuator with hotglue. Didnt hurt the always abysmal mpg one bit if the hubs were unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

Slack3r posted:

Mechanical Failure Delivery System!

Link to this terrible idea.. Yep.. It's real.

http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/mcy/4939902005.html

Of course it would be from my loving town, people here are so goddamn stupid.